Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Child for sale (or) help finding plug sizes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
koswimmer1967 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Child for sale (or) help finding plug sizes
    Posted: May-01-2021 at 3:40pm
Hello all, 
I have a 1980 Ski Nautique and a 3 year old son.  Last week, my son found all the plugs for the motor and now they have all gone on to another life.   

I know there was a little screw on the j tube, two big plugs on the manifolds, 2 in the block, and I believe there may have been two more.  In the past, I've always just gotten in the boat with a bag of plugs and put them in the holes without giving it much thought.  Trying to recall them from memory is proving harder than I expected.  

Anybody have a diagram showing the plugs and hopefully stating the sizes on them so I can go buy new? I really don't want to sell my son to to get this information, but I've been working on this boat a lot longer than I've had himErmmErmm.

Thank you in advance for any information.   Have a good one.  

k
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2021 at 6:01pm
Keep junior around, he'll be fun......... here's the info Wink

No diagram but here's what you need 

J tube drain  1/4 inch pipe plug

Engine block drains, one on each side  1/4 inch pipe plugs On the side with the starter, the drain is up front under #1 cylinder and on the other side the drain is at the rear under #8 cylinder

Exhaust manifold drains one on each side  3/4 inch pipe plugs

Transmission cooler drain if you removed that  1/8 inch pipe plug
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2021 at 9:05pm
One option is to install a "petcock" or drainage valve.  It makes for easy winterizing.  Just screw one petcock into each 1/4" hole.  The link below is for the removable T handle type.  IMO, the removable handle is the best option as you can poke a wire into the petcock with the T handle removed.  That helps flush out any rust or scale build-up.

https://www.mcmaster.com/petcocks/drainage-valves-5/

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 6:52am
And...........here's a diagram showing the locations courtesy of somebody on the internet from  SkiDim originally Wink

The transmission cooler isn't shown

Or here's a link with some pictures of everything but the drain plug on the starter side of the engine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 10:06am
Thank you very much.  I'm grateful.    
k

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koswimmer1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 10:13am
Thank you guys for the help.  I had this diagram for a while but couldn't lay my hands on it.  I am very grateful.   My son is as well. 
mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2021 at 10:46am

"Child for sale (or) help finding plug sizes"

We have a grandson like that. We call him Hudson. Anything that will fit in his pocket is an endangered species.
You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic