NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Selection Information

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Selection Information
    Posted: April-06-2021 at 1:47am
This information is from the Corvette Forum for C1 and C2 Corvettes, 1954-1967.  These are all flat tappet engines like our old boats so the oil information can be helpful.  This note came back to a forum member direct from Mobil 1 and addresses the oils they have that are still high in ZDDP.  

Bottom line, sounds like some of the Mobil 1 product will work along with the Rotella, Delo or Race Oil options many are already using.

"a note was sent via email to Mobil's Tech Team and received the following answer:
Thank you for writing to us. One of our criteria is usually to focus on oils with 1000 parts per million of zinc or better, to take good care of a flat tappet camshaft. We've got several oils that fit this profile. 

One great option is our Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 “European Car Formula.” This has a zinc content of 1100ppm, and will recoat your bearings a bit faster than a 5W-40 or 10W-40 can at engine start up.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...il-1-fs-0w-40/

If the engine is running a bit hotter, and can benefit from a 50, we have Mobil 1 15W-50, with a zinc content of 1300ppm.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...obil-1-15w-50/

Finally, we have Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-50 with a zinc content of 1100ppm. This oil can be hard to find on the shelf, though.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...1-fs-x2-5w-50/

I hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing Mobil, 
Joe

Question: I just bought a 1959 Corvette 290HP Fuel Injection car and in the process of having it rebuilt back to its original 283 cid configuration with mechanical lifters, etc. I'm told these engines still need ZDDP to help prevent premature wear. What does Mobil recommend for these classic engines?"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 11:30am
On that note...

NAPA has VR-1 Synthetic 20W 50 for under $7 per quart.  That's one of the better prices I've found for the VR-1 synthetic.  Typically it's $10 to $12 per quart.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 12:43pm
And also on that note, I'm fresh out of popcorn, I hope this  doesn't turn this into a "my favorite oil" thread till I can get some more  Wink

I'll update when I'm all loaded up
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 4:23pm
Also on that “also” note...Johnny Quest, et al., grants no endorsement or approval, express or implied, for any brand, type, weight, ZDDP content or lubricity for any petroleum product,  Any person or entity seeking such endorsement or approval must submit a written request accompanied by a cashiers check for a “butt-load” of money...made payable to The Quest Nautique Foundation. 

Mr. ZDDP
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 12:17pm

I got the popcorn, so it's OK to continue Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 1:54pm
Ken

Is that Dino or synthetic oil on the popcorn?  What is the PPM of butter flavoring?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 3:20pm
My favorite oil is:  Mobil 1 15W-50, with a zinc content of 1300ppm.

My favorite popcorn is:  Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Popcorn.

Oddly, I don't like oil on my popcorn.
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Ken

Is that Dino or synthetic oil on the popcorn?  What is the PPM of butter flavoring?

Synthetic blend and it's 1 million PPM butter Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic