Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine wanted
    Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:15pm
My father-in-law is looking for an engine for his '56 Shepard. I will not go into the history of the current engine, but he wants to put in a "standard" ski boat engine like a 351 from an old Correct Craft or similar. I'm currently scouring the local listings for a boat that "just has one soft spot in the floor but runs great" but I haven't found one yet. I feel bad taking a solid boat and yanking its engine, but I'd be willing to just about give away the hull once we have the engine and transmission. So maybe someone's got a rotten floor and would rather swap their engine into a solid hull I find? Or maybe we can make an arrangement... 

Anyway, we don't want a built-up hot rod engine, we don't want something original to the boat or even to the era, we'd love a 70's or 80's era 302 or 351 that's been properly cared for and ready for an easy retirement of shuttling around a guy in his 70's at medium cruising speed in his Shepard. I have been kind of authorized to spend around $7k initially, which should get me something decent and maybe a little return on selling the complete boat minus drivetrain. 

I should add that of course I'd take an engine on its own, but would be willing to take a whole boat and/or trailer, whatever. I can work with anything, but we just want a good running engine that doesn't need major work itself. 

Thanks in advance for any leads. I'm only able to drive within a couple hours of central NH. Here's the boat: 

\

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 6:41am
Thanks for pics. Beautiful boat.
Is it same manufacturer as ‘Shepherd’ boats, still making classic wood
Let’s do a 454 or Chrysler 440,

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 7:36am
Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

I will not go into the history of the current engine, 

331? Crown 135?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 8:53am
Stepper459 go on PlanetNautique.com. There is a post by KevinMcElroy listed under “Boats for Sale”. He is parting out/selling a 2001 SAN with a GT40. Granted, the boat is a Vdrive and not the transmission you need but you might be interested in the motor.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 8:55am
A boat without engine will have little value.  If it has rotted stringers, you will likely have to pay to dispose of the hull.  Of course you can part out rudder, strut, etc to recoup some money.

Putting a period correct engine into that beautiful boat will be the best investment.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Putting a period correct engine into that beautiful boat will be the best investment.

Yes, a period correct is best. The original is even better. The value of a classic or antique plummets without ether. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 10:23am
If your Shepard is the same as the shepherd classic wood boats
You could talk with them about a proper repower and price.
That combo might add value
Shepherdboatco.com
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 10:30am
Classic CCF. A whole bunch of suggestions he didn’t ask for.

Do you have an engine or not? Lol
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 5:56pm
Best/least expensive way to find a decent engine is to pick up a junk boat that needs stringers, but has a good engine.  Otherwise watch craigslist, facebook, or CCF.  Jody at FLA Inboards had an engine posted for sale not too long ago. 

Nice boat.  Is that NH?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 6:36pm
Stepper

In a somewhat meager attempt to keep your thread on track without all the "advice" about what to do to the boat, I thought I'd post the craigslist ad that's in the link below. Not much info in the ad. It could be just what Riley mentions in his post............maybe

Maybe you've already seen it and figure it's too cheap to have a good engine and transmission in the boat. Maybe you don't want a normal rotation engine

Maybe you haven't seen it 

Figuring that you're somewhere around Squam Lake, Google tells me that it's not far out of your 2 hour driving range.

I "gotta" think that there's somebody on this forum that's really pretty close who might volunteer to take a look at it for you.

I "gotta" think that he owns a Ski Supreme too

I wouldn't want to volunteer him, but you could send a PM to GottaSki and see if he could take a look at it for you.

link

PS Don't tell him how you got his name Wink
CCFAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2021 at 9:44am
Goodmorning, I have a1974 OMC 307 225 hp engine that had a total rebuild last summer. It might have 3 hrs on it. It is in a 1975 correct craft southwind. If you have any interest or are curious please feel free to call me 419-541-1217 . I am putting the boat up for sale in the near future. I am located on Sandusky Bay right next to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio on Lake Erie.  Scott
Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:34pm
Thanks for all the replies so far, sorry I was offline for a few days there

First, I spelled the name of the boat wrong, it's a Shepherd. Nothing weird there, just a misspelling on my part. 

Second, Pete, sorry, I'm not sure the model of the engine it has. It's an old (original to the boat, probably) inline six. It's similar to the old inline six in the Hyster forklift we had at the marina where I worked a while back. 

Third, there is no intention of selling this boat now or ever, nor do we care what its value is. For a few years now its value has been zero, because we haven't used it. My kids have never been out in it, and that's a shame. My father-in-law wants something reliable. He was tempted by a crate engine MerCruiser 4.3 but I guess that's not done so easily these days either. So here we are, looking for a nice older V8 not because they're correct but because they can be extremely reliable and they're in every ski boat and therefore "easy" to find. In theory. 

Thanks for the leads, I'll chase down those that I can, regionally, and we'll find one. 

Yes, we're on Squam Lake in NH. About 2 hours north of Boston. 

Oh and thanks for the comments on the boat, yeah I love it and we just want to see it back in the water under its own power again. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Stepper

In a somewhat meager attempt to keep your thread on track without all the "advice" about what to do to the boat, I thought I'd post the craigslist ad that's in the link below. Not much info in the ad. It could be just what Riley mentions in his post............maybe

Maybe you've already seen it and figure it's too cheap to have a good engine and transmission in the boat. Maybe you don't want a normal rotation engine

Figuring that you're somewhere around Squam Lake, Google tells me that it's not far out of your 2 hour driving range.

I "gotta" think that there's somebody on this forum that's really pretty close who might volunteer to take a look at it for you.

I wouldn't want to volunteer him, but you could send a PM to GottaSki and see if he could take a look at it for you.

link

This is interesting, I'll at least follow up to see if I can learn a little more, before I enlist others, thanks for the tip though you never know. There's an 88 I was looking at and the price came down already on the Craigslist ad. Could be a good engine but the boat is maybe too nice? I haven't had time to go look at it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by CCFAN CCFAN wrote:

Goodmorning, I have a1974 OMC 307 225 hp engine that had a total rebuild last summer. It might have 3 hrs on it. It is in a 1975 correct craft southwind. If you have any interest or are curious please feel free to call me 419-541-1217 . I am putting the boat up for sale in the near future. I am located on Sandusky Bay right next to Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio on Lake Erie.  Scott

Thank you for the idea, it's a bit far for me right now, but you never know. I'll have a lot of free time in June, if we are still looking... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Best/least expensive way to find a decent engine is to pick up a junk boat that needs stringers, but has a good engine.  Otherwise watch craigslist, facebook, or CCF.  Jody at FLA Inboards had an engine posted for sale not too long ago. 

Nice boat.  Is that NH?

This is exactly what I'm hoping to find, but haven't yet. I figured there are a lot of eyes and ears here on this stuff. I can't really travel too far right now but shipping is maybe an option if the engine was known to be good. 

And yeah, thanks. It's in NH on Squam Lake. This boat isn't going out of the family any time soon, in fact it'll be mine next I suppose. 
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 1:27am
As you search keep in mind the Supra, Malibu, Centurian, Ski Supreme, Mastercraft and Correct Craft all use power plants that could be put in your boat.  The wood boats are heavy, if a big block came along I would consider it for your boat.  Otherwise price wise the best, low hour example you can find that is complete and already has the Exhaust, Transmission, Water Pumps and mounts included would be your best bet.  If your new combo is missing any parts the missing parts might cost you as much as the new engine costs.
That boat is beautiful, you have to get it back out on the water.   Years ago we used to ski behind a friends old wood boat, I think it was a 23' Century, looked similar to your boat but they had re powered it with a 390 Ford and that boat would get up and go when asked.  The wake was a little tall for skiing but we were young and it was available so we skied a lot behind it.  I think that wake was close to 3 foot tall on a 75' rope.  Great looking boat and fun on long boat rides.   Get yours back on the water.
The Chevy 307 mentioned was not around for long but they are great little engines.  It is a 283 Chevy Block but uses the 327 Crankshaft and strokes the 283 out to 307.  GM only used them for a couple years (1970-1972 maybe) but it had much better torque than a 283 due to that long stroke, similar to taking the GM 350 and installing the 400 crank to get a 383, the long stroke gives them a lot more torque.  I had one in a 1971 GM Blazer, great engine, good MPG but short on power compared to the 350.  If you are OK with 225 HP they are good engines.
Mark
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 8:34am
Indeed Ken, that would be an easy one to put eyes on, as its only an adjacent town away.

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Stepper

link

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
CCFAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 9:26am
   If somehow this engine would work for you I could deliver it to you. If you look in the for sale section, I listed the boat yesterday. If not good luck in your search and have a great summer.
Scott
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 9:52am
Not as simple but there are engines out there..
Thinking outside the box, TWO good looking 460's at your budget, 
could sell trailer and outdrives and everything, get tranny and bellhousing and have money left over
sell engine or keep as spare

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Indeed Ken, that would be an easy one to put eyes on, as its only an adjacent town away.

I emailed the guy but haven't heard back. If he responds in a way that would make me want to check it out, I'll reach out to you if you don't mind. But let's make sure we aren't wasting time first. Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by CCFAN CCFAN wrote:

If somehow this engine would work for you I could deliver it to you. If you look in the for sale section, I listed the boat yesterday. If not good luck in your search and have a great summer.

Thank you, that's a very generous offer. Let me see what comes up locally and we'll go from there. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 10:08am
Here's a lead, posted 24 hours ago - this kind of stuff won't last when the weather gets nice. The ice just went out on Squam probably last night, and it'll be mid-60's later this week. 

https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/saint-johnsbury-1998-malibu-sportster/7301662093.html

edited to add: On second thought, that might be too cheap, and could just be a scam. Oh well I won't let that go too far. 
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2021 at 11:19pm
I have not gone back and read all the above posts, but I do have a low-hour PCM 302 that I would sell. Complete engine, and I have a choice of two transmissions, both in-line Warner or Velvet Drive, whichever you might prefer. One is a 1017 and the other a 1018, which is the heavier duty one. Here's an important question: The 302 that I have is a reverse rotation engine, which is to say that the flywheel turns CLOCKWISE when viewed from the flywheel end of the engine. I am in Florida, retired after working for Correct Craft for almost 50 years.
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2021 at 11:57am
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

I have not gone back and read all the above posts, but I do have a low-hour PCM 302 that I would sell. Complete engine, and I have a choice of two transmissions, both in-line Warner or Velvet Drive, whichever you might prefer. One is a 1017 and the other a 1018, which is the heavier duty one. Here's an important question: The 302 that I have is a reverse rotation engine, which is to say that the flywheel turns CLOCKWISE when viewed from the flywheel end of the engine. I am in Florida, retired after working for Correct Craft for almost 50 years.

Art, thanks for the reply. I am still looking for an engine, maybe we should talk on the phone. I will send you a private message with my number, give me a call when it's convenient for you - if I don't answer I'll call you back. I'm a teacher so I'm in class a lot during the day, but then have lots of random hours of free periods too. 

Thanks, I look forward to talking with you. 
Jakebean2015 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakebean2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 1:28pm
I got a 86 351 if u still looking for one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Jakebean2015 Jakebean2015 wrote:

I got a 86 351 if u still looking for one

Thanks, but I think I've got an engine from Art Cozier here, we're still working on some details but it seems likely to work out. 

ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 4:32pm
Wonderful boat.  My dad had an 18 foot utility direct drive powered by a 350 Chev. that was originally powered by an inline 6 cylinder.  Art, I wonder if any of the Tim or Todd Benjamin may have an engine sitting around.  They are up his way.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

My dad had an 18 foot utility direct drive .

A DD Shepard? What happened to it? Yes, they loved to build V drives. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:54pm

Wonderful boat.  My dad had an 18 foot utility direct drive powered by a 350 Chev. that was originally powered by an inline 6 cylinder.  Art, I wonder if any of the Tim or Todd Benjamin may have an engine sitting around.  They are up his way.

Thanks, it is a nice boat. I looked in the brochures from http://www.shepherdboats.com/brochures.asp and the boat we have sure looks like a '53-'54 but I guess that's somewhat irrelevant at this point. 

Good to hear you had a 350 in one that used to have an inline 6, so it worked haha. We might end up with a Ford 302 in there, if all goes well.

One of the challenges will be making the exhaust work, where the old 6 has a single, small straight copper pipe. Aside from joining the two sides of a 302 exhaust, I'd imagine it should be larger all the way out through the transom. I'm likely to be directly involved in the fitting of this engine. I'm lucky to already be talking with someone like Art, he's been great to talk to already. 

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 11:08pm

.  Art, I wonder if any of the Tim or Todd Benjamin may have an engine sitting around.  They are up his way.

Like getting matter out of a black hole LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic