Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting question on 1982 south wind

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting question on 1982 south wind
    Posted: March-31-2021 at 11:55am
I have a 1982 south wind correct craft 20 ft long fiberglass boat and I can post pictures if I need to. But I’m dremeling out all fiber cracks and going to refill them and sand and buff them out. And I want to change the color completely. And I need to know what paint to use? How to paint it. And all of what to do. This will be my first boat paint ever. So please anything will help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 1:54pm
Russ,
Welcome to CCfan. We'd love to see some pictures of the 82 and see what you are up to.

Regarding the paint, you may what to consider a new gel coat. Although there are some pretty good paints out there, none will hold up like gel does. 

What are you filling the routed out cracks with? Gel again? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 5:15pm
Appreciate the welcome and thanks for your response. And gel coat with wax back in the dremeled out cracks. And what is the cost difference on gel coat to paint? And how do you apply gel coat? And I’m not quite sure how I put pictures on here
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 6:50pm
Lot of variables there- you thinking of painting or gelling it yourself? Got experience spray painting- gel is very similar.  Gel and a Southwind you could end up upside down real fast. I used Axalta Imron a different brand 20 footer around 2014 doing the deck and sides- bottom has bottom paint. Materials alone were 1K. It has held up very well but not as forgiving as gel. In order to do gel work correctly the old needs to come off. Gel like paint can be too thick.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 7:00pm
So if I do a paint how long will it usually last? And if I do paint could you give me a idea of best stuff to use on whole boat. And I have spray painted houses before so I know the ups and downs but when it comes to a boat idk at all I of what to do before I paint, or what paint to use, and when I look it up it says I need two different paints for bottom to a certain spot. So I need step by step of what to do, what paint to get and we’re at on boat. What sprayer to use. Just all around step by step
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 7:59pm
Paint is softer & will mar easier.  But paint has better UV resistance, so it will fade less.

I would wet sand it up to 400 grit before painting.

Do you have a inside place to work in?

Be sure to protect yourself from the paint dust & fumes.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 8:20pm
I do have some we’re to put it in but only for a couple hours at a time. A big farm and tool shop but it’s pretty dirty though. But I still don’t know what kind of paint to use and what it cost. And is it two different kind of paints on different parts of the boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 10:05pm
If you use paint it's really no different than painting a car. What type of paint you use makes some personal protection necessary. Imron is nasty stuff health wise but holds up incredibly well. I am always amazed how it will get a mark from something that would scratch a lesser paint but that mark will easily come off with Collinite 920 cleaner. Awlgrip is another brand of marine paint but I have no experience with it. Most of these types of paint are not recommended for below waterline but you might be ok if you trailer your boat or keep it on a lift. I understand your color change there has been some fugly colors in the past but I cannot think of any bad colors used in the 80's. I think I would just wet sand and polish up what you have and color match to fix the cracks. 
My fresh air paint hood was around 500 bucks and like I said before primer and paint alone were 1 thousand and that's not counting the bottom. As to gel it will require some finish work - being thicker it does go on with more orange peel but with practice and additives it can be lessened. It will require color sanding and polishing to get an original type finish

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 10:29pm
Welcome Russ!  I've owned two Southwinds.  Nice boats.  I assume yours is the open bow.  I have also done lots of work on them to restore them.  It is definitely a labor of love, and shows pride of ownership when you have a nicely completed job.  However, if you don't have a permanent place to park the boat that is warm and clean, you may want to hold off until you do.  

How is the engine and drivetrain?  Is the boat seaworthy as it sits now?  I would make sure it is seaworthy before you tackle the gel/paint.  With warm weather a couple of months away, you may want to consider using the boat all summer, and get to know it a little bit (if you don't already).  I may also be tempted to use the boat as is with the gel coat, and just give it a good compounding and wax for this year while you get your place figured out, and learn to paint.  I would suggest doing lots of youtube searches to learn sanding and painting techniques.  It is amazing what you can learn there.

Post some pictures so we can see what she looks like to give you more direction.  
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 11:00pm
I have looked and looked and I honestly don’t know how to post pictures on here. And it’s so dull and such a ugly red. It’s almost irritating to look at it and I’m out of work for a while and it gives me something to work on. And I will not be taking it on the sea just on the lake. Just to fish a little and ride a tube behind it. That’s about it. But I’m in the process of black carbon fiber upholstery and black carpet goes in. And I want the boat to be black with a little bit of neon orange and I was thinking neon orange would be the correct craft and south wind on the sides. I know it sounds different but I’ve had this project in my yard for a year and drove it a couple times and I want it finished before I go out again. So I need to change that white black and need the best paint to do it and pointers and everything that needs to be done so I can watch videos on the paints and how it needs to be done also so I feel more comfortable doing it right
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 11:41pm
You do realize that black shows every imperfection in your “body” work not to mention gets very hot and shows all the hard water spots? I was surprised how hot my white interior got in the Tennessee sun, you being in the Carolina’s? can’t be much different? Just throwing that out there.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 12:25am
Can you tell me how to post pictures on here so I can post them and get some ideas on what color I should go I want something darker but I’ll honestly go with whatever. But whatever I choose will be different then most boats. Some type of color that sticks out
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 2:18am
-Adam

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Silenced Silenced wrote:

when I look it up it says I need two different paints for bottom to a certain spot.

Russ,
Yes, in certain cases different paints are used for the hull and then the bottom. Typically if a boat is kept in the water especially salt or brackish, the bottom and hull sides up to the waterline is painted with an anti fouling paint. This paint keeps the bottom free of growths like algae. Boats that are not kept in the water for any length of time anti fouling isn't used but, some hullside paints don't like to be in water for very long. Your usage will determine what to use. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 7:40am
If you want a fast & cheap improvement, try wet sanding & buffing the existing gel coat.  Try a small spot & see if you can get to down un-oxidized gel.  Start with 320 grit & step up 1 grit at a time until you get to 1500.  Sand out the scratches from previous grit step.  Then buff with rotary buffer & lambswool pad using buffing compound, followed by polish.

Re-gelling is a monumental task.  Repainting not as bad but still will require many hours & some big money for the paint

The last time I bought car paint it was more than $50 for a half pint & the guy gave me the reducer for free. 

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 7:53am
Russ,
Besides the oxidized gel, what's the condition of other items on 82? Engine? Upholstery? Stringers? 

How long have you had it and how much water time have you been able to get? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:37am
Every time I go to reply in any reply box it has none of them things just emoticons
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:43am
The engine is good I believe, just spent 800 on rebuilding carburetor. New fuel regulator, bee fuel pump, new battery, new spark plugs, and oil and oil filter. A cam. And I honestly don’t know what stringers mean.and the upholstery is all split, corners busted. And old. And a couple of full days on the water. And ran great. Besides the steering wheel turns without holding it. It seems like it’s easier just to have someone else to paint it it only cost a thousand to 1500 to paint it verse a 1000 for paint and me doing work. So I’m confused to why people don’t just have others paint it. All this is so confusing because I’ve never owned a boat and honestly I want to resale it after summer when I’m done re doing it
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 11:20am
You’re honestly going to best off spending as little as possible on that boat if resale is any concern. A cracked up southwind that’s been painted isnt going to be worth much to anyone. Just make it useable and enjoy it- then hope you don’t take too much of a bath on it when you sell.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 2:49pm
Assume you read the link but just to make sure...you can’t do pics from a phone or tablet. Need to work from a computer. Then you need to click the reply button and go to the tree icon from there. The quick reply box at the bottom is a no go for pics.

As far as the boat. I have a feeling you will be happy with a compound (maybe some sanding) of the gel. It will shine up.

What was $800 on the carb. Hopefully more than just the carb work.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 2:56pm
No 800 dollars was for all the engine work they did. Plus the carb rebuild.
And I’m on a phone and I have no computer so I can’t post it then I guess. But I’m filling in all the dremel cracks with new gelcoat. And then wanted to paint it or wrap it or change the whole boat color somehow for cheap because I don’t have a lot to spend. But it seems impossible. I want to make the boat worth more and better looking for cheaper if possible .
And to clarify I bought the boat in pretty decent shape for 700 bucks and spent the 800 and it runs and dpes good. So I’m not really that invested in it
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 3:05pm
Good deal. 1500 and running well is great. If it were me I’d give a heavy cut compound on a wool pad on a rotary buffer (not a da) a try. You may be surprised what compound will do and will only cost ~50 for compound and wool pad. Resale at season end will be best with original gel and graphics
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 3:10pm
And the original color is resale red as well LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Silenced Silenced wrote:

I want to make the boat worth more and better looking for cheaper if possible . 

Russ,
I agree with others who have expressed opinions that keeping the original color would give you the best return on your dollar. Give the wet sand and buff a try. 

Stringers are the "backbone" of the boat. If you look in the bilge, you will see vertical members covered with fiberglass. They are what the engine bolts to. They are wood and are prone to rotting. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silenced View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silenced Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 10:30am
The only bad thing is some cracks were through the red original color and I had to dremel them out and I have white gel coat to go back in so. It will look bad. So I am not sure what to do. So somebody explain the wet sand and buffing and all that to me so I can try that first
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 1:32pm
I did a '76 Southwind a few years ago.  I started with a heavy cut compound (Wizards Turbo Cut), and then went to a medium cut, and then a fine compound to take any scratches out, followed by a wax.  3M makes good products.  You will need an electric buffer for best results.  Don't do it by hand.  Go to any auto supply store, and they can show you what you need.  Go to youtube to pick up techniques too.  Youtube will be your friend at this stage.  

Also, get some red colorant and put in that gel coat you are going to apply to the boat to get it to match as closely as possible.  I would also probably not go any further than you have already.  Just keep it original, compound it, get it lake-worthy and enjoy it.  And definitely do not paint it, or wrap it or try to make it look like something it was not supposed to be.  You will ruin any chance of ever reselling it, as has been mentioned.  Keep it original (somebody on this site always says that!?!?)  and get ready for people people to stop and ask about the boat because it will be so cool and classic.  Also, get some pictures posted.  Can't wait to see this cool old classic.     
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 5:36pm
When you get a picture posted, you will be on CCF Team Red!

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic