NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
Skier4life04@gmail.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2002 ski nautique
    Posted: March-29-2021 at 9:28am
My keyless entry is not working, I got my master code, type it in and the orange lights work when pushing numbers but no lights when I hit start or stop. The motor (GT40) will turn over when direct connection at solenoid. No dash lights no radio, the cd player ejected disc but that was all... anyone have this problem?
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 4:07pm
Assuming your throttle is in neutral and your kill switch tether is attached and functional it is likely your start key pad has failed. You can do several  thing to check. First verify you have good contact at the key pad connecter behind the dash. Next, when the start keypad is in the “locked” mode check to be sure the horn, bilge pump and blower are still operational as they should work in “locked” mode. Next enter your code get to “unlocked” mode and see if the function key pad on the right side of you steering wheel becomes operational. If it does then your system is now unlocked and since the starter does not function when pressing the “start” button pretty much confirms the “start” button has failed and you need a new key pad. If the function key pad does not work after using your code to “unlock” the system then the system is not unlocking. This could mean two things #1 (the most likely) the start keypad has failed and needs replacement. #2 (less likely) your code is not getting received. In this case you could follow the instructions in your owners manual to erase and reprogram your code. You should consider trying programming  a code such as 1111, 2222, 3333, or 4444 in the event that only one of the number buttons (1 through 4) has failed and therefore using a code avoiding that “bad” number key will allow you to get around it. Keep in mind if one key fails others will follow. If you need a key pad they should be available at NautiqueParts.com. Use the discount code PND to get 10% off. Keep the forum posted on your findings.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 8:23am
I tried and nothing happens when I hit the start or stop button, no lights, no power to the right side other than bilge pump button on the right... horn, blower, and bilge work but nothing else... I can hit solenoid with screwdriver and motor turns over but no lights blink when I hit start or stop.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 8:24am
... if it was the neutral or kill switch the solenoid wouldn't have power to hit when I use screwdriver right?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Skier4life04@gmail.c Skier4life04@gmail.c wrote:

... if it was the neutral or kill switch the solenoid wouldn't have power to hit when I use screwdriver right?

A start relay will always have power to it on one side of it's main contacts.  It's the coil in the relay that's activated with any start circuit. Fill us in on what you are doing with the screwdriver. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 8:46am
What do you mean by "hit solenoid with a screwdriver?

Smack the solenoid or maybe use the screwdriver to jump between terminals.

If you're jumping between terminals, then the power is direct, bypassing any interlocks so the neutral safety switch is bypassed and the engine will turn over if it has a bad switch or if it's not in neutral..

The kill switch only kills ignition system power and has nothing to do with the starter power circuit. If the kill switch was bad or unplugged, you'd be able to turn the engine over but wouldn't get any spark.

I think I'd go back to JTB's explanation in the second post to maybe find your answer
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 9:14am
No just jumping the terminals, im thinking the keypad is bad, it sat dry docked for 5 years up north in Indiana... I get no response of any kind after I type code and hit start... the orange lights come one when I hit the numbers, but nothing when I hit start or stop... I checked grounds, in line fuses, breakers, main power switch, kill switch, and replaced battery and terminals.. I am looking for a keypad that's used or aftermarket, but not having any luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 10:35am
NautiqueParts.com has your start key pad for $399. With the PND discount code you should get it for $359. Expensive yes but then you should be good to go. FYI, the availability of the older key pads is getting to be less and less.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 10:39am
Also, I would first take a gamble and  follow the owners manual to erase and reenter a new code as I suggested in my earlier post. You have nothing to lose.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 5:01pm
I will try that James, thanks
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 5:35pm
Skier, put the screw driver back in the tool box!!

Take a deep breath, grab a beer, then PRINT OUT James's directions from above. Take those directions to the boat with you and go through his steps, IN ORDER. THIS will diagnose your problem.

THEN report back.

MS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 4:17pm
Skier4life04, any updates concerning your key pad and what you found. Many here and on PlanetNautique.com that regular check CorrectCraftfan.com have key pads and are interested in learning. Thanks
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 4:44pm
Ok, so I tried erasing and setting a new code, the lights did not flash, so it did not go in to program mode. I bought a new keypad, and still the same issue... im sure it's something simple but can't seem to find it... the boat sat, dry docked, for about 5 to 7 years. I also put a new battery and leads on wires. Please help, im wasting money over here between parts I don't need and beer... lol
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 4:55pm
When you press the button, do you have power at the "S" terminal on the solenoid? It should be about 12 volts and after you let go it should go down to zero volts.

That info will tell a lot about where to look for the issue it could be a bad solenoid depending on which terminals you jumped with the screwdriver but it sounds like it's probably somewhere upstream.

At least you have a good spare keypad just in case.

Tell yourself that spare parts are a good thing. Wink

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:05pm
Michael,
If you do get the 12 volts to the S terminal on the start relay (solenoid), check to see if there's any corrosion under the base. The base on some relays is the ground to the block. If the corrosion is bad enough then there's no ground to the relay coil. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 6:36pm
I cant even get the boat to unlock... I was trying to turn on radio or lights and nothing, like it won't accept my code, and I called nautique for the master code. When I try to set a new user code the light does not continue to Blick after I let off the 1 and 3 key

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 7:49pm
You can try the master code once you get it. Unfortunately I think your key pad has failed and a new one is likely in order. FYI... when you add a new key pad I believe your same master code will work with the new key pad. The master code apparently is not stored in the key pad. Others, like NautiqueJeff, who have changed key pads in the past will comment.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by James T Brockma James T Brockma wrote:

Unfortunately I think your key pad has failed and a new one is likely in order

He just put a new one in to replace the original one, I don't think he wants to spend another few hundred for another one Wink

Originally posted by Skier4life04@gmail.c Skier4life04@gmail.c wrote:

I bought a new keypad, and still the same issue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 8:36pm
It's like there is no communication with the computer from keypad... like I said, I type in master code, push 1 and 3 at same type (erase all codes) then put in master code, push 1 and 4 the light flashes but does not continue to flash after I let off, and its supposed to while you enter new user code. Correct?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 11:01pm
Sorry. My error. I guess I should be more diligent about reading all the posts. Check the voltage as Ken and Pete recommended. I will do some research and get back. Having a spare key pad is not a bad thing. They all eventually go bad and new replacement are getting less and less available.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:30am
Is there a work-around to wire up an old fashioned key  🔑 and pull the key pad out of the loop?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 6:10am
I had an issue with my bilge pump not working. My keypad was going bad, and I was loosing function on all my accessories. I replaced it but no joy on my bilge pumps. I could run the pumps in the ( bilge pump only position) but not from the panel. Turned out the circuit in the breaker panel was bad. Moved my bulge pumps to a different circuit and it worked.
Maybe you have a bad circuit running start/unlock function. I can’t remember the wire diagram but I think it’s on here somewhere, or planet nautique has it for sure.
Mike
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 6:20am
I will check the circuits and solenoid after work today, I really dont think its that far back though. My problem is up front I believe bc the system won't even unlock. I have researched a work around and it seems that really only advised to get you off the water if keypad fails.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 6:55am
Skier4life04, I am sorry for your trouble and sorry for leading you down the road to buy a new key pad that seemingly is not solving the problem. Here are a few things to think about and do as a review. When you installed the new key pad out of the box there is no primary code entered and therefore you should be able to press the start button to unlock the system and press start a second time to start the boat and press the stop button to stop the boat and press it a second one time to put it in lock mode without entering any code at all (including the master code). The horn, bilge pump and blower should also function with the new key pad out of the box without entering any code (including the master code). While the indicator light is off entering the master code then pressing 1 and 3 at the same time is a function that erases previous primary codes assuming a primary code has been successfully entered. The key pad at that point should start and stop the boat as above, the horn, bilge pump and blower should all function without entering any code (including the master code). To program a primary code do not start the process by entering the master code. Just press press 1 and 4 at the same time to get the flashing indicator light. This may be where you could be having the problem. Once the indicator light is flashing enter your 4 to 8 digit code the press the start button you must then reenter the same code and press the start button again for verification and the indicator light should then stop flashing and remain on. At that point you are good to go. Please report back on what happens. I am going to go over to PlanetNautique.com and post a message to the administrator NautiqueJeff about your issues. Jeff has connections at PCM and CorrectCraft. He will hopeful get a tech guy to chime in.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
NautiqueJeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NautiqueJeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 10:47am
Based on what I have read, it doesn't sound like an issue at the starter or the starter relay.  This is either a keypad issue or a wiring issue.  Since the keypad is new, it is doubtful (though not impossible) that the keypads is bad.  

Where was the boat stored?  Were there any animals (mice, etc.) that had access to the boat over those storage years?  

I wish I had a spare keypad for that year to send you, but I only have a spare for the 2003+ boats.  
Current Boats: 1998 Ski Nautique, 2000 Sport Nautique, 1985 Sea Nautique 2700 (twin-engine), 1981 Fish Nautique (twin-engine), 1980 Fish Nautique (twin-engine)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 11:25am
But if he starts at the solenoid and works backwards with a VOM he can find out where the 12 volts that should be going to the solenoid when he hits the button is or isn't present just to assure him it's not a solenoid issue ( or any wiring or connector issues ). 

No volts at the solenoid "S" or 12 volts at the same terminal narrows things down quite a bit

Knowing absolutely nothing about keypads in my case, the voltage readings will still be helpful.Wink

It'll tell you if the problem is in the thing I know nothing about or the wiring.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:11pm
I tried just pushing 1 and 4 and it's the same thing, when I am holding buttons down the light flashes but when I let off it stops

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:44pm
I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is with the procedure Skier is using to enter his primary code. Skier another thought is to disconnect your battery for a short period then reconnect. Afterwards begin by following the instructions in the owners manual exactly as written. Do not enter the master code prior to pressing 1 and 4 to enter your primary code. However before going any further and assuming no primary codes have actually been stored and the key pad is in “out of the box” condition another clue that your key is functioning correctly is to just press the start button once (without entering any codes) to unlock the system and then press it a second time very quickly (in other words don’t hold the button down as if to start the engine) this will put the key pad in “RUN” mode. In “RUN“ mode you will have power to the engine ignition and the ignition indicator light to the left of the start button we’ll be “ON” (FYI if you do nothing else the system will revert to locked mode after 15 minutes). Keno and Pete may be able to comment how you could then use a VOM  at the engine to check for power at the ignition (that is above my pay grade). If you have no power to the ignition you have either an ignition wiring problem or a new key pad issue. If you in fact have power at the ignition and then pressing and holding the start button does not start the engine I would then conclude you have a wiring issue to the starter. You are also welcome to call me directly at 513-206-6831 and I can help talk you through it.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 12:55pm
Sorry. I was typing my post while you were posting yours. Try what I said about gettin to “RUN” mode. If no go then I would try to seek out someone in your area that has any model Nautique in the 2000-2002 model year that would be willing  to let you try to use their know to be good key pad as a test. Like NautiqueJeff said it is not likely but not impossible the new keypad your received is faulty. I know you most be very frustrated.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 1:24pm
I tried just pushing start button but nothing changes, I don't believe there have been any animals in it either, there are no signs of that anyway. I'm waiting on a friend to get here to push start while I check for power
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic