NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
Skier4life04@gmail.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 1:45pm
I just checked power at solenoid, there is a constant 12v but nothing on the other terminal when I push start.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 2:09pm
Should I have power to my kill switch?
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 2:09pm
Pull the cannon plug off the back of the main keypad and check for 12v on the pins in the plug.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 2:17pm
Yes, there is power at the red wire for main keypad, 12.3v
James T Brockma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 2:49pm
Skier, Not to send you toward another dead end and others that are more knowledgeable will correct me but I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest 12.3 volts at the key pad may be a problem. And I repeat MAY be a problem. I would definitely think 12.3 should be more than enough but from what I understand 12.3 means the battery is only 50-75%. I researched PlanetNautique.com and found a thread posted by Pat-Oz ( in Australia), titled “Key Pad Not Working” from November, 22 2004. Apparently he had similar if not the exact same issues you are having. His lights would only blink while 1 and 4 were presses and the went out when released and had other similar issues. As you read through all the posts it turned out with him it was a voltage issue that was resolved after attending to his battery cables/terminals. Something to consider. On many older boats the battery cable corrodes inside the insulation and therefore can result in poor contact between the battery cable and the battery terminal connectors where the terminal is clamped to the cable. Also checking/cleaning the negative cable ground at the block isis important. Apparently the key pad can be very sensitive to voltage. A poorly charged or weak battery supposedly will also cause issues with the key pad.  Sincerely hope this information helps
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 3:57pm
Do you know how many volts it should be?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 5:37pm
Just for grins skier, put a battery charger on the batt and try again.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 5:40pm
I just went and got another battery. A group 65 750cca... should I have power in any other wire than red when I push buttons on main keypad?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Skier4life04@gmail.c Skier4life04@gmail.c wrote:

I just went and got another battery. A group 65 750cca... should I have power in any other wire than red when I push buttons on main keypad?

If you have power in which you do on the red wire, at least one of the other wires has to have power coming out of the pad when you push the button

The others are 

Black goes to ground so no power

Orange goes to the 40 pin connector under the dash

Green goes to the 40 pin connector under the dash.

The diagrams for a 2001 SN  (nothing for 2002 but they use the same pad)on Planet Nautique are about as easy to read as a road map of Beijing, so I'd look for power on both the Orange and Green wires with the button pushed.

One or both should have power, strictly as a guess both should, but if neither one does then you have keypad issues. One wire for the Start circuit and the other for the Ignition power circuit

If only there were some easily understood directions for replacement of the keypad and it's subsequent programming Wink

Maybe JTB can check his keypad for voltage on the Green and Red wires  I think his 06 is different but he could probably still give you some good info on what/how many wires have voltage when the button is pushed.

I think JTB will be your best programming help, so listen to him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 5:50am
Skier and Keno, I will be happy to check the voltage at my key pad but you will have to be very patient because I won’t be getting back to my boat until the end of May. Hopefully someone will be able to check there own boat for you long before I do. I will go on PlanetNautique and ask NautiqueJeff if he would be so kind as to check one of his boats and report back. FYI... Jeff informed me that the “master code” is programmed at the factory into the original key pad and is stored within the keypad itself, not you boats ECM. The new pad key you purchased (I assume from NautiqueParts) therefore has NO master code. I posted a question to ask him this: Since your original key pad which has the factory master code that functions to “lock/unlock” the key pad and “erase” previously entered primary and secondary codes and since your new key pad has no master code in bedded does therefore  the first “primary” code you eventuality  program into it by default become the new “master code” leaving you then with an additional “primary” and “secondary” code programming option. He has yet to response (I suspect he is researching it) so I will report back when I hear from him.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 8:22am
So if there is no code embedded then anyone can buy a keypad and take any nautique they want? 400 is a good price for your choice of nautiques... I hope there is something we are missing to unlock the new keypad. Thanks everyone for all your help, it has definitely helped me figure out where to look.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 8:46am
Just thinking out loud here, but would this issue throw out a code that a OBD reader would pick up?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 9:00am
Don't see anywhere to hook one up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 9:18am
Skier, I did post the question to NautiqueJeff over on PlanetNautique to give me a more detailed answer about the lack of a “master code” embedded in the new key pads but he has yet to get back to me. As for your question about using a new uncoded key pad to take a boat you are correct. In fact anyone who owns a Nautique with a key pad could theoretically take the key pad out of their own boat, plug it into a their neighbors Nautique (assuming a model year with the same key pad) and go cruising around the lake. If an unscrupulous character is hanging around your lake it would probably be quicker for him to find a boat with a standard key and just “hot wire” it or tow any boat to a ramp, load it on a trailer and away she goes. 
On the serious side, did you happen to get a voltage reading from the red key pad wire after you installed the new battery? Assuming you did and are getting 12.6-12.8 volts that would confirm you have good power. If you are still at around 12.3v at the key pad and your new battery is at 12.6-12.8v that would indicate a wire issue most probably related to the battery cables. Where you able to get voltage at the green and orange wires?
Also, since Jeff said the new key pads have no master code I assume they are able to store 3 codes like the original (the originals store the factory installed master code and the user installed primary and secondary code). If that is correct, when all your key pad issue finally get sorted, I would suggest entering the first code with the same numbers as you original master code like the factory did.and use it to be able to erase the other two possible primary and secondary codes. But like I said I and waiting for Jeff’s input as he is more knowledgeable and has experience replacing keypads. 
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 9:48am
With the new battery I am getting 12.5 at the red wire and the exact same at the battery. I got a group 65 battery like it calls for. 750 cca and new ground terminal... I get the same voltage at starter and solenoid, just no communication from keypad, and no power at any other wire from keypad when I push any button.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 9:57am
Charge your new battery, I get 13.2
My alt puts out 14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 10:02am
No power out of either green or orange wire makes me suspicious of the key pad. I asked Jeff if he would check the voltage of the key pad wires on one of his boats since I am 2000 miles away from mine. I am sure he will be willing to help but has yet to post back to me. In the mean time I would be calling NautiqueParts and get their thoughts and if appropriate sending you a replacement.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 10:12am
Ok James, I appreciate it, I did hook charger up to it just to see how much voltage I can get out of it, however I don't believe I will get 14 bc its a 12 v system

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 10:52am
I could be wrong but as a ballpark range a resting fully charged battery should be 12.6-12.8v. 12.9 and above is considered overcharged. An alternator puts out 13.7-14.7v. A battery charger initially puts out about 14.7 and the floats at 13.5 v. There are other poster on here that are a lot more knowledgeable about this than me.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 11:22am
Ok, so by charging my battery, the dash lights now turn on when I push start, still nothing else though.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 11:23am

Ok James, I appreciate it, I did hook charger up to it just to see how much voltage I can get out of it, however I don't believe I will get 14 bc its a 12 v system

Some reading is needed:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 11:47am

With the new battery I am getting 12.5 at the red wire and the exact same at the battery. I got a group 65 battery like it calls for. 750 cca and new ground terminal... I get the same voltage at starter and solenoid, just no communication from keypad, and no power at any other wire from keypad when I push any button.

With no voltage on any other wire, it's like a big black hole that your power goes into and never gets out of Wink

I'd have to agree with JTB and you that it's a keypad programming issue and no power is going to the start and ignition circuits.

A battery with 12.3 volts being unable to make the keypad function sounds just plain kinda ridiculous.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 12:07pm
I guess I'm going to box this keypad up and send it back for a replacement... I checked the wires again, and with 14.5v the orange wire makes the multimeter kick on very dim, not enough power to read but a very little must be trickling through it. That should be a sure tell sign that this new pad is faulty, correct? Or it has a code in it from factory and they have not supplied it for me?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 12:11pm

I checked the wires again, and with 14.5v the orange wire makes the multimeter kick on very dim, not enough power to read but a very little must be trickling through it.

Confused What kind of VOM do you have? It has a light that lights up or do you mean the numerals light up and gives you a voltage reading ?  Fill us in. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:22pm
Skier, you said when you push the start your “dash lights” come on. Do you mean the indicator light immediately below the # 4 button. If so you have entered “unlocked” mode. Which is a good start and what is expected since we can assume no code of any kind has been successfully installed thus far. In “Unlocked”mode and with the indicator light below button #4 “ON” you should now have power to the key pad to the right of the steering wheel and all function on that key pad should operate assuming your boat came with that option.
Once you have it in “unlocked” mode do a very quick second press of the start button in an effort to advance the key pad to “Run” mode. In “Run” mode the indicator light immediately below the #1 should be “ON” indicating that power is being supplied to the ignition. The key pad is designed to remain in “Run” for about 15 minutes if nothing else is done. I would then recheck the orange and green wires for  voltage and I would expect one or the other to show something. Let’s assume you 12+ volts at one of those wires. Pressing and holding the start button now for the third time should activate the starter.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:28pm
No, sorry, I should have been more clear, the indicater lights only come on when I push a number button, neither one stays on... the lights im referring to are dim lights behind each button on both keypads, so I guess I'm still not unlocking the system? The indicator light under the 4 would stay on if I did?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:33pm
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/iODv1kbfETt3
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:36pm
Not sure if I did this right, but let me know if yall can see this short video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James T Brockma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:40pm
Yes that is correct. It must not be unlocking. I just checked PlanetNautique and no new posts there yet. Sounds like you have already contacted NautiqueParts for a replacement. Hopefully in the end you are the “one in a million” guy that gets the faulty key pad. If that turns out to be the case, buy a lottery ticket for a million dollar drawing. Maybe lighting will strike twice.
Jim '06 216

'98 SN 176
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 1:42pm
Lol, you know I will be!! I'll be sharing with yall too! I hope thats the issue, bc im kind of at a dead end here. I will update when I get the new one in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic