NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 5:44pm
I'd probably just continue in this thread.

I'd probably also pull the line from the tank to the pump and make sure it's not internally collapsed, pull the antisiphon valve and make sure it's not plugged up and is easy to depress the ball against the spring, and either remove the suction line inside the tank or blow some air backwards through it, in case the strainer at the end of the line is plugged. The line may have fallen apart or come off too

It's better to remove the line inspect it and clean the strainer, but if you blow it out, it'll probably take a long time to plug itself again.

As long as there are 15 gallons in the tank, the gauge reading won't matter to the pumps.Wink

Might be new gauge and or sending unit time but it's for sure troubleshooting time before you buy new stuff.
Skier4life04@gmail.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 5:52pm
I couldn't figure out how to get the line out of the tank... it is kinda set up like a aftermarket switch, how you drill a hole, put the switch in from the back, and a nut holds it in place from the top... I took that nut off but the hose still didn't move... can I get in there if I remove the sending unit? I already blew air in from the end of the hose toward the tank, but I was alone and couldn't hear if it was bubbling in there or not.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:02pm
If you blew from the end of the hose the ball in the anti siphon valve would stop any air flow into the tank

You need to take off the anti siphon valve and like in the picture depress the ball against spring pressure to be sure it unseats and the spring pushes it back shut again when you quit depressing the ball. It doesn't take much force at all to depress the ball..

The valve is screwed into a 90 degree fitting at the top of the tank suction line and looks just like a hose barbed fitting except it has the ball and spring mentioned earlier. The fuel line to the pump is hose clamped to it. The 90 unscrews from the big flat nut to get the suction line out.

While the valve is removed, blow some air into the tank.

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Skier4life04@gmail.c Skier4life04@gmail.c wrote:

I? Old one is working, for some reason it's not pulling gas from the tank, but when I kick it on with the hose unhooked I can feel it sucking.
My low pressure pump failed,  but not dramatically.  It started to stall out.  I pulled the output hose and confirmed it was flowing (I could even hear gas in the tank splashing as it returned to the tank.  However, when I did the volume test, it was low.  Put a new pump in and it solved the problem.

Can you hear gas splashing back into the tank with the low pressure pump on?

Sorry I can't give credit (couldn't find the post), but someone mentioned earlier to check the screen in the pick up line at the top of the tank.  I had this problem in my '96.  It got plugged, and I had tried and tested everything I could with no luck.  A West Coast Nautique service person suggested I check it before taking it in (didn't know there was one).  It was almost completely plugged.

Since your boat sat for so long, it could be covered in varnish, etc.

You've already proved that the high pressure pump works and the engine will run with gas in the canister.  

I would:
1. turn the low pressure pump on, go to the tank and listened to see if you hear gas flowing,  I assume not since if it's flowing back to the tank, it means it's also filling the canister.  If it's not flowing, you've got a blockage or a bad pump.
2. Check the flow from the tank to the low pressure pump.  I'd probably run some compressed air from the input side of the hose to the pump and see if you can get air bubbles in the tank.  If so, then you have some sort of flow.  If not, check the screen (it's at the top of the tank; part of the fitting that the line from the tank to the pump connects to the tank.  It's a small round metal mesh (my son (young at the time) was able to get his fingers in to pull it out; it was very plugged).  If you do that, check again to see if you can blow air through it. If you have an inline gas filter, replace it.  There should be no restriction in that line.
3. Connect the input hose back to the pump, disconnect the output hose where it connects to the canister, put it in a container, and measure the gas output (don't recall what it's supposed to be; in the service manual).  Visually my old one was fine, but it really wasn't.  If it's on the low side, replace it.
4. Check the return hose from the output from the canister (not to the injectors, but the large hose that returns gas to the tank).  Run compressed air to see if there are any blockages.

Since you confirmed the high pressure pump works and the engine runs, if you follow the above, you should hear gas splashing back into the tank from the return, which means the canister is full of gas and you should be good to go.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:08pm
Sorry, looks like a lot of what I wrote got posted just before I did.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:37pm
Glad you are making progress.  Something to remember when working with electric fuel pumps, they are fuel lubricated and fail very quickly when run without fuel flowing.  Carter Fuel used to state damage can happen in 15 seconds dry run time with electric pumps.  With all these trial starts your pumps may have been exposed to dry run time.  Hope they are ok.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 5:09pm
They have been, I cleaned everything on the tank end, it all seemed to be working properly but low pressure still won't pull from the tank. I have a new one on its way just incase. I just can't figure out why it won't pull, doesn't make sense to me.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 6:06pm
Is there anything in the tank at the end of the suction line past the spring and ball deal? Bc I am 100% certain something is stopped up in there, not letting fuel come up.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2021 at 7:04pm
So, it sounds like you have confirmed there is no obstruction from the hose at the top of the tank to the low pressure pump, correct?  How did you confirm it?  

If that's the case, you could disconnect the hose from the tank, put it in a can of gas, then turn your low pressure pump on and and check fuel flow (volume x time as noted in the manual).  Just because you feel some suction at the pump doesn't mean it's not internally bleeding (worn valves/diaphragm) and therefore won't pull anything but air.

It sounds like you got that screen cleaned, as well as the check valve.  Did you try removing the check valve and blowing air into the tank?

If you still couldn't blow air, then as you said, you've got a blockage in the tank (I'd suggest removing the gas cap to give the air a bigger way to exhaust than the vent).  

If you've confirmed the pump will pull the correct amount of gas (volume test using a can of gas), but won't pull out of the tank (and you are able to blow air into the tank with the check valve removed), then you probably have a leak problem. 

I don't know if the pick up line in the tank is rigid (metal) or a hose.  If it is a hose, then it could have cracked, and caused air to get sucked in.  Or it could be a leak in the hose at at the top of the tank where it is always exposed to air (unless filled almost to overflowing).

If it is a metal pick up tube, then it's possible a crack developed near the top that lets air in.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 6:27am
It seems to me that he's run the boat with an outboard tank plumbed up to the LP pump and it ran fine and then hooked up to the tank again and it didn't run.

I don't see anywhere that you've unscrewed the fuel suction/pickup line from the tank.(Put a wrench on the big nut to hold it stationary and then unscrew the 90 degree fitting from that)

Then you'll have the line in your hand and be able to see if the suction inside the tank is plugged or maybe broken off, split, cracked above the fuel level like Gordon mentioned above.

I think it's time for a recap of what's been done all in one  post mentioning things like the anti siphon valve, the line to the LP pump, the suction line in the tank.

And maybe Gordon should just give you his volume numbers or the page(s) in the manual if he wants you to do a volume check on that pump that seems to have run fine when you ran the engine for quite a while hooked to the outboard tank.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 8:56am
You were right, the plastic pick up tube dry rotted and broke completely off... I have one ordered, should be here in 6 to 8 days... thanks everyone, I will keep you posted.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 12:40pm
No recap necessary now I guess Wink

That's why pulling the tube is the best approach

Another group effort, hope it all works with the new tube, I think you'll be good, but maybe consider changing the hose between the anti siphon valve and the LP pump to a new A1-15 or A1-10 USCG approved marine hose while you're working on things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic