NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2002 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
Skier4life04@gmail.c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 5:48pm
And yes, im going to put a main power cut off severe in the boat, not sure where yet, but definitely out of sight... not sure why it won't hold a code, I was just happy I didn't have to buy another outrageously priced box! Thanks everyone for yalls help, it makes this so much easier!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Skier4life04@gmail.c Skier4life04@gmail.c wrote:

Yes, definitely easy to steal... lol... I have it all back together now, it turns over but doesn't fire. I have spark at the plugs and when I put starting fluid in the throttle body it runs, until I stop spraying... any ideas?

1. Put the can of starting fluid down!

2. As soon as you put power to the keypad, you should hear the relay activate the fuel pump. If you don’t hear it, it’s a bad relay. NAPA usually has them. It’s a quick change. Get a couple extra and keep on the boat. Those relays are a high failure item. Those relays are located on the back of the motor next the ECU.

Here are your two relays. I'd change them both just because of age and sitting so long.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 6:15pm
Ok, I will get them, and give it a shot, im pretty sure I hear the fuel pump kicking on right before I try to start it everytime though? Or is that not what I'm hearing?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 6:16pm
Yes, they are clicking and the fuel pump is kicking on... any other suggestions?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 6:19pm
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/vQNq5F0fjvwE
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 6:34pm
Hmmmm...I didn't go back through the entire thread, but has the boat been running since you got it?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

when I put starting fluid in the throttle body it runs, until I stop spraying.

1. Put the can of starting fluid down!

Don't just put it down, please dispose of it. The stuff is a great way to ruin an engine. Why do you even have it? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 8:04pm
Lawnmower on its last leg, thats what the starting fluid is for. The boat had been sitting for about 7 years.

I siphoned all the gas out and put 15 gallons of 100% gas in it.

Changed the oil and filter

Cleaned the cap, rotor, and plugs

Drained the full element

And checked the relays and kill switch

And I am getting spark at the plug

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2021 at 8:29pm
There are 2 fuel pumps that have to run -the low pressure one which is basically a fuel transfer pump and the main high pressure pump. Here is a way to manually energize them, a fuel pressure gauge from somewhere like harbor freight would be helpful as well. 

gun-driver View Drop Down

Grand Poobah

The STO is hangs on the rear of the motor by the circuit breakers.
You need to make a jumper that will fit in the STO (with an inline fuse preferred) and an alligator clip or something similar. Plug into the STO then connect to a good ground source, this will run both pumps full time taking all other sensors out of the loop.
So if both pumps run and the motor starts the problem is in the pump circuit somewhere. If it does not start but has fuel pressure then we need to look at the ignition side of the puzzle.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 4:56pm
Pumps were running, still wouldn't fire though. The spark did not look very strong when I checked it. Is it likely that the spark is not strong enough to ignite fuel but is enough to ignite the starting fluid?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 6:40am
The pumps were running, but were they pumping fuel and making pressure behind those injectors? I'd check the pressure with a gauge like mentioned above, looking for 39 + or - 3 psi while cranking.

And maybe check that the injectors are firing too.

You're just playing "human injector" when spraying the starting fluid. That get kinda tiring and besides Pete might have a stroke if you spray any more starting fluid Wink

If it runs on that, it should run on gas.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 11:27am
Ok, I will get a tester today. Does anyone have the part numbers for car, rotor, wires, and plugs for 2002 ski with 5.8 GT40?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 5:58pm

Ok, I will get a tester today. Does anyone have the part numbers for car, rotor, wires, and plugs for 2002 ski with 5.8 GT40?

Here are some numbers that can be cross referenced to different brands

Cap   Motorcraft DH411B, you fill the vent hole with silicone to be like the original "marine" cap

Rotor   Motorcraft DR374B

Plugs    Autolite 764 or Autolite 104. The 104 is a full threaded version of the 764 which is supposedly discontinued, but can still be found.
They both work equally well

Plug wires from SkiDim RK120015A or people have made their own from universal kits.

SkiDim also sells a cap and rotor kit RP173082
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 5:42pm
Ok, so I have replaced cap and rotor, and plugs. Im getting 39-40 PSI from Schrader valve, getting spark, and still this thing won't fire. Not really sure what else to check. I pulled the HP pump filter off and there was only a little gas in the bottom of it, so I cleaned it out and filled it with gas, then put it back on, thats when I got 40 psi... you think the LP pump is bad even though I can feel it running? That is what fills the HP correct? Even if it was bad, shouldn't the motor have at least fired until the HP ran out of fuel?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 7:30pm
Ok, so while I was waiting for some direction on here, I took the injectors out and cleaned them and it runs now... thank you everyone for all your help... I hope this thread helps others.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 7:53pm
Hey, why don't you take the injectors out and clean them and see if it starts Wink

Somebody has to say good job, so I will.

If you had 40 psi and no gas getting to the engine, it makes sense that they were plugged, it also says that both pumps are good.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2021 at 7:56pm
Thanks for all your help, I would have spent a fortune at a shop!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 5:36pm
Quick question, can I use the Napa fuel pump thats like 60 bucks or do I have to buy the 260 dollar one from nautique? There is a Carter fuel pump on Amazon that looks familiar for like 56, just want to know if anyone has tried it for the low side pump.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 5:38pm
The part number for the Carter pump is P4594.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:06pm
P 4389 might be a better choice but it has no plug, I’ll have to look but somewhere I have the plugs part number as well. I have one on a gt40 but it has not been run yet
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:17pm
I can just wire my old plug to the new pump, cant i?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:23pm
I? Old one is working, for some reason it's not pulling gas from the tank, but when I kick it on with the hose unhooked I can feel it sucking.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:24pm
Do the pumps need to be full of gas for it to pull from tank?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:25pm
Well you could or you could just hard wire it-thats what my dealer did on my 95. Let me find the number on the plug you can probably order one when you order the pump. That way it would look factory if you want.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 8:58pm
If you want the oem plug your looking for Deutsch DT04-2P   usually comes with the other end as well DT06-2P like this on ebay- 263238868932
or amazon-   https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Deutsch-DT04-2P-Electric-Connector/dp/B00WW55ECA

Here is my setup with the 4389-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2021 at 9:12pm
Since yours was sitting for awhile and the injectors clogged you could try taking it apart and see if you can fix it not really complicated,those little vanes get stuck in their grooves,here is the service bulletin-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:24am

Ok, so while I was waiting for some direction on here, I took the injectors out and cleaned them and it runs now... thank you everyone for all your help... I hope this thread helps others.

I'm a little groggy this morning, so I'm a little confused too The quote above makes it sound like you found the problem and it's the end of the thread   Wink

If you cleaned the injectors and the engine runs like you said above and it has roughly 40 psi fuel pressure, why are you thinking the LP pump needs replacing. The only way to get 40 psi is with both pumps running. There must be more to the story.

If the pump runs and it isn't sucking from the tank, maybe you should start with checking the anti siphon valve( and the hose/strainer in the tank)  to make sure it works and lets gas through it when the pump is sucking.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 6:50am
I thought it was over too, but apparently when I pulled the HP canister off, cleaned it, and filled cannister with gas it ran... until that HP canister ran out of fuel. I can see 3 lines and an electric part going in to the top of the tank through the trunk. Cant figure out how to pull them out of the tank though? This boat is becoming a big headache.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 7:12am
Electric part would be the fuel level sending unit and you'd have a suction line, return line from the fuel pressure regulator and a bigger vent/ overflow line.

As a test I'd probably disconnect the suction from the LP fuel pump and hook up a clear line going to a small temporary tank and see if the pump sucks gas into it and the boat will run and start like that. A portable gas can with a hose stuck in it, or an outboard motor fuel tank would be good. Make sure it's vented so the pump doesn't draw a vacuum in the tank.

If the pump is sucking, you'll see the fuel flowing and fuel pressure will be normal since it takes 2 pumps working together to get that 40 ish psi

That'll help you decide if it's a pump problem or a fuel hose/tank issue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier4life04@gmail.c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 4:55pm
Both pumps are working, I ran the boat from a 5 gallon tank, it continued running 15 minutes after the tank was empty. After the tank emptied I hooked up the main fuel supply line while the boat was still running and it ran out of gas. Also my gas Guage is stuck on "E", even though there is at least 15 gallons in it. Could that affect anything? Should I start a new thread? Or just continue on this one? There is a ton of information here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic