Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission toast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission toast?
    Posted: March-28-2021 at 4:52am
My transmission started slipping badly yesterday while wakeboarding with a heavy load. Fluid level was full, and the issue persisted after I added even more ATF. Had to idle back to the dock. Prop kept spinning while in neutral. When I pulled the dipstick there was a bit of smoke coming out of the hole. Clearly some major issues in there. I had the same thing happen a few years ago due to low fluid level (and I have at times noticed a very small leak from the front of the transmission). At that time filling up with ATF resolved the issue, but not this time. Engine was running at normal temps, so I don't think the oil cooler got clogged up or that the cooling system was malfunctioning in some way.

Here is a photo of the transmission's ID tag:

So:
  1. Any possibility that just flushing and filling with new fluid will resolve an issue like this?
  2. If not (which I suspect will be the case), I assume it is either rebuild or replace time. Given that I'm often running with heavy loads (wakeboarding and wakesurfing), would it be advisable to upgrade to a heavier duty transmission? Or will a rebuild be sufficient?
As always, thanks for the help

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 7:25am
1  Probably not, but you've got nothing to lose doing the flush and fill (except a few bucks) and it'll help convince you that a rebuild is needed

2  A rebuild of what you have should be sufficient, especially if you're propped right

Does it have that nasty burnt fluid smell and maybe little particles in it when you pump the old stuff out ?
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 12:34pm
As the tranny is almost 40 years old, it doesn't owe you much.  It might be time to rebuild the Velvet and look forward to another 40 years...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 4:27pm
Indeed. It was rebuilt shortly after I bought the boat, but I have no idea if the guy who did it knew what he was doing. This was well before I started spending time on CCF, so I was pretty clueless at that time.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 8:17am
I've always struggled with the idea of rebuilds on car and truck automatic transmissions. Some rebuilds or the rebuilders don't seem to be worth the effort...  while I have mastered stick shift rebuilds in recent years, I have yet to handle autos. Are there trusted resources to handle our reverse gears??
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 8:25am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

I've always struggled with the idea of rebuilds on car and truck automatic transmissions. Some rebuilds or the rebuilders don't seem to be worth the effort...  while I have mastered stick shift rebuilds in recent years, I have yet to handle autos. Are there trusted resources to handle our reverse gears??

Rick,
You really can't compare our marine "transmissions" to auto and trucks. Think more towards a wet clutch. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

Rick,
You really can't compare our marine "transmissions" to auto and trucks. Think more towards a wet clutch. 

Umm............Explain this a little more Pete

This is in the words of Yogi Berra "like deja' vu all over again"
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 3:50pm
We would be more then happy to rebuild your velvet drive. Give us a call 330-273-8291
You break it I’ll fix it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

We would be more then happy to rebuild your velvet drive. Give us a call 330-273-8291

Thanks a lot Joe, I would definitely have sent it to you, but I am in South Africa, which complicates logistics ever so slightly .
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2021 at 5:48pm
Yeah I'd say that would be very expensive to ship🤣
You break it I’ll fix it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 2:53pm
So I've started disassembly. First problem is pretty obvious in the reverse clutch:

The plate seems to have chewed up the springs as well when it broke. Any suggestions as to why a clutch plate would break like that?

I have yet to disassemble the forward clutch - seems I need to get hold of the right lock ring pliers first. Ken, you've commented in the past about the right pliers for the job, any chance of posting a link to a pair (or set) that will do the job for both the internal and external lock rings on the input shaft?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 4:58pm
Forgot to mention before: I grazed a stony bottom of the river we were on a few hours before the transmission went. Prop suffered some damage (I'll post a picture later), but there was no noticeable vibration when running after the hit. The shaft measures as straight as it did on the dial indicator when I last checked alignment. And the shaft and transmission coupler faces separated easily and appeared parallel when I unbolted them to pull the transmission, though I didn't measure parallelism with a feeler gauge before pulling the transmission.

Edit: picture of damaged prop below.

FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 6:50pm
It's very common for velvet drives reverse to snap reason being it's such a large plate and it's bronze and it just takes time for them to fatigue and Crack. Google flat snap ring pliers and you'll find what your looking for as for the rings holding the forward piston in a flat head screw driver will get them out easily
You break it I’ll fix it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 8:07pm

Here's a picture of what the end of the lock ring or flat snap ring pliers look like and also another pair snuck into the picture with the Craftsman part number on them. A little tough to read but it's 47386

Kinda like a duckbill shape with serrations on the outer surfaces for that one small diameter but "beefy" lock ring that'll give you fits without a pair of these. You'll figure out which one Wink

You can find Craftsman, Lisle and a variety others pretty easily under 20 US bucks with a Google search like Joe mentioned.

Lisle part number is 44900
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2021 at 10:00pm
Keno, snap-on makes a pair which I use and in the serated area they put a small dimple that makes grabing lock ring so much easier
You break it I’ll fix it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2021 at 6:06am
They must be kinda cute too with dimples Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2021 at 9:11am
I've read all of the Velvet Drive service manuals I've been able to lay my hands on, and have two questions I'm hoping someone can help me with:
  1. One of the service manuals says that the coupler nut has to be replaced if the transmission is rebuilt. Is this really necessary if the nut still looks to be in good shape?
  2. Another of the service manuals says that the transmission oil cooler and cooler hoses should be replaced after a transmission failure, because metallic particles tend to collect in those parts and then flow back into the transmission over time, causing damage. Will a good flush of the cooler and hoses not be sufficient to clear out any metallic particles? Is replacement really necessary?
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2021 at 9:49am
I have only replaced coupler nuts when they are severely rusted or damaged, you can flush cooler lines and the cooler it's self with brake cleaner and compressed air but if you had water intrusion then it's safe to say you'll need to replace your cooler
You break it I’ll fix it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2021 at 3:04am
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

I have only replaced coupler nuts when they are severely rusted or damaged, you can flush cooler lines and the cooler it's self with brake cleaner and compressed air but if you had water intrusion then it's safe to say you'll need to replace your cooler

Happily no signs of water intrusion as far as I can tell, judging by the drained ATF and the inside of the transmission case. The transmission oil cooler is very old and has been slightly pinched from over enthusiastic tightening of the mounting bracket at some point in the past, so I am considering replacing it in any case. I'm going to test for leaks under pressure and then make a call on replacing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2021 at 4:48pm
So more questions after disassembling the forward clutch:

1. The forward clutch cylinder took a fair bit of hitting with a block of wood to dislodge from the ring gear. Is that normal, or should it slide out easily? I'm following this rebuild thread on TeamTalk(!), which makes no mention of having to 'encourage' any part to get it out, hence my question. The forward pistion housing bearing also required a bit of hitting with a piece of wood.
  2. Speaking of the bearing: it did not spin as smoothly as I think it should have when I took it out. I sprayed it with lubricant (a local equivalent of WD-40), and let it soak in the lubricant overnight. It now spins like this: link. It isn't perfectly quiet, but seems to spin fine and smoothly. Good, or should it be replaced?
As for the oil pump: other than if it is not putting out sufficient pressure (which I have unfortunately never measured), any other signs to look for as an indication that it should be replaced? It all looked fine when I disassembled, and the surface of the forward/reverse adapter on which the pump gears run appear smooth (I can't discern any noticeable ridges/burrs when running my fingernail over the surface). Below are some pictures.

And lastly: removing the coupler nut is proving every bit as difficult as I anticipated. Any tips or tricks that I can try other than the usual penetrating fluid/heat?

Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2021 at 6:07pm
Question 1   The manual says to knock it out with a soft blunt tool. With your engagement and slipping issues it may have taken more effort to get it out.

Question 2  Hard to tell from the video but it seems like it's spinning real easily like a ball bearing that's just been cleaned and has no lubrication.. It may be fine with some transmission fluid in there. Lube it up and then spin it. Only you know what it feels like.

Question 3  An air or electric impact wrench that can grunt out around 250 ft lbs of torque should spin the coupler nut right off with no problem.

Maybe FFI Joe will come along with some words of wisdom for you Wink
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2021 at 7:54pm
Forward piston is pressed into the ring gear that's why there so tight, remove the large snap ring holding the piston into the ring gear grab the splind side of the input shaft and hit it against a block of wood and it'll fall right off,

Bearings are either good or bad so if it spins free and you don't feel any pitting in the race then your good

Check for grooves in the oil pump housing and on the gears them selves and if you can grab and with your finger nail it's bad

Take a flat head screw driver and stick it in one of the coupling hole so your able to hold it and use a air, electric or battery 1/2 impact and it will come off
You break it I’ll fix it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2021 at 5:34pm
So I rented an impact wrench, which did the trick to get the nut off. I put some long bolts through the coupler bolt holes and used a tyre lever wedged against a trailer wheel to hold the coupler in position while I hit it with the impact wrench. So now I finally have the entire transmission disassembled and can start cleaning everything out while I wait for parts to arrive. Didn't want to place orders before I was sure of everything I need, so that I can only suffer shipping charges once. Luckily everything except the clutch plates, reverse springs and one snap ring (that bent when I took it off) looks to be in good shape.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2021 at 2:52am
While everything is out of the boat and disassembled (and I'm waiting for parts), I'm doing some cleaning up and repainting/coating. Other than cost considerations, any recommendations/advice around painting vs. powder coating the transmission case?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 5:49pm
The manuals (and Wouter in post #49 in the TeamTalk thread I posted a link to earlier) all say that one needs a press when it comes to compressing the forward clutch pack for installing the snap ring that holds the forward clutch cylinder in place. Any reason why a C-clamp of suitable size won't be up to this job? I'm sure a press will be easier to work with, but it seems to me a large C-clamp will also get the job done?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 7:27pm
If ithat's what you have, you can make it work Wink

It may take a little creativity.

Those C clamp threads can exert plenty of force
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2021 at 5:22pm
Some aviation manuals discourage powder coating because it can hide a crack, while paint will usually show a developing crack.  Don't know if this is a concern for a transmission case.

Jack
66 Barracuda 318 Poly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 2:58am
Finally got round to pulling the damper plate, and it probably makes more sense now why my transmission failed: the damper looks like the original, and is totally shot. Sounds like a shaker inside the spring housings when moving the thing around.

I did order a new damper plate from Basic Power Industries with all of my rebuild parts. However, Basic Power only offers shipping with the USPS at checkout, which hands over to the South African Postal Service when the package gets to South Africa. The South African Postal Service then proceeded to send the package to Swaziland, from where it was sent back and is now apparently in transit. So I'm still waiting for my parts more than six weeks after ordering. The joys of a first world hobby in a third world continent...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2021 at 6:32am
The section of my transmission's coupling on which the rear oil seal rides seems (and feels) pretty rough - see below. The seal rode (as best I could tell when I disassembled things) on the thicker of the two black lines that are visible on the 'snout' of the coupling.

I did have a minor transmission fluid leak from the rear of the transmission in the past, so I'd like to clean that surface up properly to ensure a good seal. What is the best way to do this? Have it polished by an engineering shop? Fit a speedi sleeve?

Thanks as always for the help!
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2021 at 8:51am
Weigh your options but if it was me I’d replace it
You break it I’ll fix it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic