Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cutlass bearing expected life and changing it???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutlass bearing expected life and changing it???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutlass bearing expected life and changing it???
    Posted: March-25-2021 at 12:59pm
How is a bad cutlass bearing determined?

What's the process to change one?
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 1:29pm
click on the link below and you'll find plenty of info that might answer some, most or all of your questions  Wink

It'll keep you reading for a while.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 11:58am
ok, there is enough play to think the cutlass bearing needs replacement.. I read thru the other thread and didn't see if I have to remove the prop shaft of I can just unbolt from the trans, unbolt the strut then slide the strut and bearing past the prop mounting surface... That would save trying to get the flange off the prop shaft that's been there for 23 years... 

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2021 at 6:23pm
Sounds like no problem to do what you want Wink

Unbolting the coupling would  allow for a little shaft wiggle room to slide the strut right past the rudder, instead of taking the rudder off.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 2:22pm
mine is very lightly clanking at idle in gear. No one can hear/feel it up me. I will do it after this season. 
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 4:01pm
I'm planning on attempting a cutlass bearing replacement soon on my boat, and was wondering if there are any alignment issues to worry about after removing and reinstalling the strut? My prop shaft has quite a bit of play in the current bearing and it seems like taking the strut off would make the replacement process a whole lot easier if I don't open a can of worms by removing it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2021 at 4:33pm

Isaac,
A complete alignment starts at the strut since unlike the engine with adjustable mounts, the strut position is pretty fixed with it's mounting bolts, The only adjustment on the strut is from the small amount of bolt clearance and then shims between the strut base and the hull. The key to alignment is getting the prop shaft centered in the log while the shaft still turns freely in the cutlass. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 12:21pm
strut is off the boat. I loosened the bolts on the coupling, removed the prop, unbolted the strut from the hull and it slide right past the rudder. Once I realized those were set screws and loosened them, the bearing drove out with various sockets and a BFH. Came out easier than expected. The wear was not ridiculous, but certainly was there when compared to the new one.

I'll clean things up a bit maybe a little grease and install the new one. The old one was 2 pieces, the new is 1. Again, thanks for all the help...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 12:24pm
BTW: This would have been much more difficult or maybe impossible with the strut on the boat. I figure it gives me the opportunity to reseal it to the hull also as the rudder currently needs too.

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 12:52pm
If you stick the new bearing in the freezer for a while, it'll make it a little easier putting it into the strut Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 9:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you stick the new bearing in the freezer for a while, it'll make it a little easier putting it into the strut Wink

And make for less hammering.  Pounding the old one out is fine, but you don't want to do any more hammering on the new one than you have to.  Should go in pretty smoothly.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 9:31am
... the freezer it is.... "Honey, can I put my strut in your oven?"....

1964 American Skier
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 9:52am
Oh don’t ask wait until she goes Christmas shopping

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 2:47pm
New cutlass installed, cleaned up the inside of the strut a little with some 600 grit, wiped it out, a little grease and the new piece slid in pretty easy until the last inch or so. A little convincing and it went the rest of the way. I lined up the aft end of the strut with the ass end of the cutlass bearing like the old one was, but the new one-piece unit didn't make it all the way to the forward set screw... I think I'll remove that set screw cuz I probably don't  want it to come loose and end up between the shaft and the new bearing.

All the play I had in the prop/shaft before is gone... We'll see if the wife's complaint about a vibration at take off with heavier skiers (me :-) has been resolved in about 48 days.

1964 American Skier
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 7:28pm
48 days?  On the ice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

48 days?  On the ice?
Liquid ice on the Caloosahatchee River. Cool

1964 American Skier
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 9:34pm
Florida…down by Ft. Myers’s.  Now the 48 days makes sense.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2021 at 10:59pm
Are you trailering from NH, or is there a part of this story I'm missing?

BTW congrats on the cutlass bearing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 8:59am
Yes, we've trailered down in Feb for the past 15 years or so... 

1964 American Skier
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 10:05am
You probably drive right by my house, I'll jump in and ride down with you. Smile

Seriously, that looks like a lot of fun!

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 12:06pm
That looks like a great place to winter!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic