NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor question
    Posted: March-24-2021 at 8:36pm

Well after three failed back surgeries (me) and six summers in the driveway (the boat), it's time for us both to try to get back out on the water.
First step; replace automotive carb with a marine one.
1973 Skier, original unmolested Palmer 302. CFM needed? Options being 450, 600, 650, 715 & 750. I want it fast & loud!
-Adam

1973 Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2021 at 8:57pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 6:07am
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

Well after three failed back surgeries (me) and six summers in the driveway (the boat), it's time for us both to try to get back out on the water.
First step; replace automotive carb with a marine one.
1973 Skier, original unmolested Palmer 302. CFM needed? Options being 450, 600, 650, 715 & 750. I want it fast & loud!

So does this mean that you have an unmolested engine with the original carburetor or a somewhat molested engine that somebody threw an automotive carburetor on?

In 73 a marine Holley had externally adjustable floats and no J tubes but did have the "slabbed, grooved  throttle shafts" .that you really can't see too good at all.

The list number on the carburetor can be referenced to tell you what you have. The older stuff like that might take a call to Holley to verify because most of the charts you can find are incomplete.

Most people will tell you that no J tubes means it's automotive, but that "ain't exactly right"

Same with the externally adjustable floats.

Since they sell J tubes, you could replace the straight tubes  and have that better assurance that an overflowing bowl will keep any leakage inside the flame arrestor and consider the externally adjustable floats as a nice feature to have.

The original tubes sometimes come out easily and sometimes they don't.

This isn't to say that you could take any automotive Holley and slap on a set of J tubes and be good to go though because of things like those throttle shafts 

Now if you just want a new carburetor, that's up to you  Wink

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 8:45am
Wow an adamt sighting!!!! Welcome back. I agree with what keno has said. Just because it doesn't have J tubes doesn't mean it's not a marine carb. I replaced mine on Kermit because I thought the same. Turns out AFTER I spent $600 on a 450 marine carb that the one on it was a "marine" carb. After talking with Mr. Starr he said get him the serial # and he'll check "The Book" to see what it is. Yep, marine carb for 1972. So I have a spare.
Those of us who know......KNOW you've got the fastest Pink CC on the St. Johns River and that little Skier sounds wonderful ( or did last we heard it) so if it ain't broke .....don't fix it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 9:34am
I would love to see pic of the fast and loud 73
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 6:53pm
I must have an out of date browser. Reply page does not have downloading pictures as an option. It doesn't have any options.
-Adam

1973 Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

I must have an out of date browser. Reply page does not have downloading pictures as an option. It doesn't have any options.

Hit the full reply icon. It's the arrow pointing northeast. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 12:28pm
450 to 500 CFM is common for a stock 302.  You can also go with a larger CFM carb — as a bigger carb will only flow the CFM to meet the engine demands (there are no upside bonus points for carb "head-room").  If you want to stay with a typical 302 stock configuration, Holley makes a 450 and a couple of 500 CFM models.  The 0-80364 is a 4160 carb designed for the Ford 302 small block and is a 4-Barrel design with electric choke and vacuum secondaries.  The 0-82500 and 0-8402-1 carbs are the 2300 model 2-Barrel carbs with electric choke.  Since I'm spending your money, I'd go with the 4160 4-Barrel carby.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Since I'm spending your money, I'd go with the 4160 4-Barrel carby.JQ

You must like to spend his money.

820 bucks at your favorite place to spend money on parts Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 10:44pm
Or...for $565 from Summit racing you can go with the QuickFuel M-600 carb. It’s $255 cheaper than the Holley 4160 mentioned above.  It will work fine on a 302. 

$820 for the Holley seems kinda high for a 4160 variant.  

JQ
(or JQF as the occasion dictates)
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic