Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transom tie downs?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Baldwhiteman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldwhiteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transom tie downs?
    Posted: March-23-2021 at 8:23pm
I have a 1992 CCSN. Sport. Was wondering how you recommended strapping down the rear of the boat? The lift rings that usually get used, are covered from the bottom?! Do you hook it to the deck mounts? Trying to figure it out. Thanks.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2021 at 9:25pm
On my Sport I use a strap that goes over the gunwales.
'92 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Baldwhiteman Baldwhiteman wrote:

I have a 1992 CCSN. Sport. Was wondering how you recommended strapping down the rear of the boat? The lift rings that usually get used, are covered from the bottom?! Do you hook it to the deck mounts? Trying to figure it out. Thanks.

Swim platform brackets is the typical spot.  

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2021 at 4:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Swim platform brackets is the typical spot.  

Yep, what Pete said. On long journeys to CCFan gatherings or through ATL I strap the 88' SN  stern down using the platform brackets.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
3mile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3mile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2021 at 10:43am
I use a single strap over the guns as well. I have seen people do them off them platform mounts as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2021 at 2:23pm
N3 specked out my trailer with the retractable tie downs which are great because I never have to go looking for them. Here you can just see them, they hook on to the swim platform brackets as well.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2021 at 2:56pm
I used retractable tie downs as well from Boat Buckle which I attached to the platform brackets as well. Works beautifully and takes only seconds to hookup.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2021 at 4:04am
I use the swim platform brackets on my 95 ski nautique trailer.   I will advise using strong tie straps.  We were in a car accident about 5 miles from our boat launch on the way home, bunks still wet.  When I slammed on the brakes trying to stop both rear straps broke and the boat came forward up and partially over the guide poles and  almost in my rear window on the tow car.  I was going about 45-50 MPH when I slammed on the brakes, was only going about 10 or less when I tapped the car in front.   I now use straps rated at 2,000 pounds each in the rear, and added a tie down chain that goes from the front eye of the boat back to the trailer frame to keep this from ever happening again.  No way to know for sure but I think the boat moved when I hit the brakes not when I hit the car in front of me.  Properly tied down the boat would have had zero damage instead the boat needed repairs, fiberglass damage, my favorite prop was ruined and the trailer was damaged.   4 or 5 deer pulled walked out in front of traffic and stopped causing the traffic snarl but I did hit the car so my fault.  I learned later that my trailer was riding too high in the front which took some weight off the front trailer axle where the brakes are.  The trailer tires were squealing but I was not slowing down quick enough.  A shorter receiver hitch fixed that issue and gave me much better trailer brakes.  2" in height at the trailer ball makes a big difference on the DHM tandem axle trailer brakes by properly loading the front axle.  
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2021 at 9:40pm
This is why I installed a heavy-duty "Crash Chain" running from the bow eye down to the trailer.  I saw a fender-bender in SLC where the boat had climbed off the trailer and into the bed of the pickup (tow vehicle).

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2021 at 3:50pm

The Chain should be mandatory, my trailer has guide poles and they folded forward and spread out as the boat came forward.  I can't imagine what would happen in a crash with a 50 MPH impact.  I think the key is to prevent it from moving, once it starts moving it takes a lot of strength to stop it.  When the bunks are wet, like right after coming out of the launch it is like a coating of grease and the boat slides easily.  My safety chain has a rubber bike tube around it to help avoid scratches.  The nose of this boat was sitting about 12" behind the rear window of the X5 after the crash.  I had to put it deep into the lake to float the boat back off of the guide poles.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2021 at 4:40pm
The boat broke through the V bow-stop??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic