Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mid 66 Marine or Auto Accessories?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid 66 Marine or Auto Accessories?
    Posted: March-16-2021 at 3:27pm
After a job change & move the 1966 Barracuda can finally start getting some attention.  The insulation on 55 year old wires is beginning to crumble and that was the mission, but along the way I took a close look at the engine.

Chrysler 318 Poly, and it looks like a points style voltage regulator:

Were any of those ignition protected?

And the alternator looks like an auto version of that time period:  Likewise the fuel pump:

No third line up to the carb, where the story is the same.

So was it common in that time period to install a marine engine which had accessories that were not ignition protected?  It does seem unlikely that all those parts failed & were replaced by auto equals, but half a century is a long time . . .

Some research shows that the marine parts are available & I plan to replace them.  The starter has some stamped numbers on it & appears sealed so that will require more research.

The task list is beginning to expand, but I would like to know how it was done in '66.

Thanks,

Jack
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by 66_Cuda 66_Cuda wrote:

So was it common in that time period to install a marine engine which had accessories that were not ignition protected?  It does seem unlikely that all those parts failed & were replaced by auto equals, but half a century is a long time . . .

Some research shows that the marine parts are available & I plan to replace them.  The starter has some stamped numbers on it & appears sealed so that will require more research.

Jack

Jack,
The short answer is yes, back then all components were not ignition protected. If you do some replacing, it's a good idea to find the marine components. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic