Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel tank sending unit removal...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel tank sending unit removal...
    Posted: March-01-2021 at 8:01pm
Found out that my fuel gauge which used to lie at about 1/8 of a tank, now lies and says I have 1/4 tank of fuel when I have none. Luckily, I was close to a dock where a random stranger kindly handed me 2 gallons of fuel... Can the sending unit be pulled from a 1997 without removing the tank? (you know, that tank I had out recently grrrrr).

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2021 at 8:09pm
Here's a recent thread by slmskrs in the link

He swapped his with the tank in place but had to bend the old one.

Have you checked that your electrical connections are clean and tight?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2021 at 9:56pm
thanks.. I'll check the connections first, but I did clean both tank connections when I had the tank out... Maybe I'll get lucky on the gauge end...

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2021 at 5:15pm
Mystery solved.. pulled the back seat to jumper the sender and ground connections on the sending unit plate..... this worked fine as the gauge jumped right to full... Look closer at connections, sender looks tight and clean. Ground connection, not so much... look at fuel level in tank, maybe 1/4 prolly less..... Gauge reads 1/4+..... wiggle loose ground connection, nothing exciting happens... pull ground, clean connector, sending unit plate, bolt and lock washer... put it all together and tighten down... Gauge now reads 1/8.... I'll call that a win....

1964 American Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:00pm
I guess it's a good thing you checked Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 11:25am

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you... 

Got the new style sending unit installed, now on to the wiring... New KUS unit has pink and black, says pink is the ground, black is the gauge... Oddly enough the existing 1997 wiring is pink or faded red to the gauge and green to ground. I assume the pink on the old unit post with the 1/4 nut is the gauge and the green with the phillips head screw to the plate is the ground...  However, the KUS instructions also say "If your gauge has color coded hookups, maintain this coding as you connect the sender and ground wires."... what the hell does that mean? Keep pink to pink? 

Old one

New one

1964 American Skier
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 12:09pm
When in doubt, try both ways.  You can install spade connectors.  Look at your gauge. Slide the float up and see what happens.  You’ll know in a second which is correct.  My Spidey-Sense says black is ground and pink is to the gauge.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2021 at 2:47pm
Here's an old thread where a KUS sender was hooked up with Pink to ground and Black to the gauge indicator wiring............and it worked 

A little "Googling" suggests that as long as one wire goes to ground and the other to the signal wire for the gauge, it'll work, but I'd start with Pink from the sender to ground and then try it the other way if I was feeling adventurous. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2021 at 10:17am
KUS pink wire to Nautique green wire, ground. KUS black wire to Nautique red/pink wire, gauge. Works perfectly. As always, thanks for all the help!

1964 American Skier
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2021 at 12:12pm
Thumbs Up

Well done, lad.  
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2021 at 5:12am
I guess you weren't feeling adventurous enough to try the JQ spidey sense wiring to see if that worked too? Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 6:28pm
Well..............having a level sender in one hand and a gauge in the other (both 33 to 240 ohm) today, I figured I'd wire things up pink to ground and black to the signal wire and make sure everything worked correctly,  since that's what the first part of the instructions say and we know that works like it did for wetskier.

Then I decided to reverse the wires so pink was to the signal wire and black to ground and see what happened.

It was all pretty uneventful since the gauge worked exactly the same as the float was run up and down the shaft.

So really the instructions should say something like............hook one wire to the signal wire and the other wire to ground, it doesn't matter which goes where.

The instructions for the cheaper, no name versions that you can find on EBAY, Amazon etc. all have the same basic wording that the KUS instructions have, sometimes using different wire colors than pink and black.

It's pretty much goof proof unless you're using a new good sender with an old dead gauge or a gauge with the wrong ohm range, or have broken or grounded wiring between the gauge and sender, in which case you'll have problems regardless of how you wire it.

I'd only do this with these newer reed switch style senders, not the old style floating arm senders

Once again, another example of more than one "right" way to do something Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic