NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old issues of Water Ski Magazine boat tests

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old issues of Water Ski Magazine boat tests
    Posted: February-27-2021 at 6:55pm
I figured I'd post a bunch of links to old copies of the Water Ski Magazine annual towboat tests from Google books

It's not complete but there are quite a few years with a whole variety of different boats.

They're pretty good reading Wink

link to 1987

link to 1989

link  to 1990

link  to 1993

link  to 1994

link  to 1995

link  to 1996

link  to 1998

link  to 2001

link  to 2002

link  to 2003

link  to 2005

I'm not sure if you need to have Google Books to see them, but you'll figure that out when you click on them Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:06pm
Wow KENO.  Nice trip down memory lane.  I'll spend all evening going through these!  Thanks for the LINKS.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 7:14pm
It'll be a long evening to get through all of them.Wink

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2021 at 6:04pm
I spent a lot of time going through all of these a while back.  I think I had most of them delivered to my mailbox over the years.  Love them.  

I was in search of an add I remember but never found.  

Right about the time Mastercraft went non-wood, I recall and add by Correct Craft about the benefits in ride quality for a boat with wood stringers.  I never found the add.  Maybe I imagined it.  Do any of you call recall that add? 

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2021 at 7:23pm
Great job Keno.  I hope Tim Benjamin reads the 1987 write up by Ed Brazil on the Malibu Skier.  
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2021 at 7:53pm
Hopefully not after any recent meal
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 1:32am
Interesting how Correct Craft was omitted from the 2001 issue.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 7:11am
Was it just one year that Cc chose not to send any boats? I thought it was a few. I always loved the boat buyers guide, but the big complaint was that they never said anything bad about any of the boats (even Malibu!!). Too afraid of losing advertising dollars I suspect.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 7:12am
Hollywood, you're such a hater.  You should read the article, too.

Rebel Skier, I remember the ad, but think it may have been Centurian or Supra, not Correct Craft?

IIRC, Correct Craft didn't bring a boat in 2001 stating they were no longer boat tests, but advertisements.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 9:26am
I don’t hate all knock offs Sangers, err I mean Malibus, just the crappy ones.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I don’t hate all knock offs Sangers, err I mean Malibus, just the crappy ones.

The Skier in the 1989 issues is just like ours. It taught a lot of kids to ski.  What I really liked about those old Buyer Guides was all the little start up ski boat companies they featured.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

What I really liked about those old Buyer Guides was all the little start up ski boat companies they featured.

It sure is a good thing that none of those startup boat companies from the early 80's ever went anywhere sales wise to challenge or maybe even surpass the old established companies in sales over the years. Wink

Nor did they come up with any innovations that led to all the ski boats improving because of the competition.

I suppose that how you interpret the tow boat tests pretty much depends on whose Kool-Aid you drink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:13pm
Times....they be a-changing.  How many boat manufacturers in late 1980’s and early 1990’s made a direct drive “ski” boat.   Now we are down to 3.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:18pm
Thanks for posting theses...good for quite a few laps around memory lane.

I drank Nautique Kool-Aid until 1987 when I was tempted to take a sip of Supra. I think the Comp ts6m was a very influential boat. The sloped bow, slanted observer seat and 'poshness' all seemed to emanate from this design.
The bottom design also seems to have had a lot of influence. Big reversed chines, sharp forward keel, larger 'wetted surface' and more. Some features even found their way into the CC tsc bottom in addition to several other boats.

Yes, the 80's were a bit incestuous, with Mastercraft yielding Supremes, Brendellas, and a few more. Copy a hull design with your own molds, produce boats, risk lawsuits. Fun times.

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Times....they be a-changing.  How many boat manufacturers in late 1980’s and early 1990’s made a direct drive “ski” boat.   Now we are down to 3.

JQ

Sanger

Mastercraft

Malibu

I think I'm missing a company Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:36pm
KENO you are correct. Sanger just doesn’t come to mind as I haven’t seen a DD Sanger for many-a-year  Also, Sanger doesn’t seem to care about AWSA stamp of approval as a 3-event boat....but I may have to modify my previous statement to FOUR manufacturers and not just 3.  Kinda sad...
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

I drank Nautique Kool-Aid until 1987 when I was tempted to take a sip of Supra. I think the Comp ts6m was a very influential boat. The sloped bow, slanted observer seat and 'poshness' all seemed to emanate from this design.

I really liked the ts6m.  There was a brand new red and white one for sale by a local small marina.  I would have bought it in a heart beat if I could have afforded it.  I still have a bunch of photos that I took of it.  Ski Brendella made a nice boat, too.  
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:49pm

I really liked the ts6m.  There was a brand new red and white one for sale by a local small marina.  I would have bought it in a heart beat if I could have afforded it.  I still have a bunch of photos that I took of it. 

Oh we’ve got a boat with your name on it. Color and all. Spoiler alert: you can afford it now!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

JQ

Sanger

Mastercraft

Malibu

Sea Ray
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 7:00pm
My third boat and my first ski boat was an 89 TS6M.  It was 96 and I was looking for a late 80s boat, pricewise.  I was focused on 2001's because I always liked the very boxy, no-nonsense lines, (besides a family history with a CC) but I couldnt find one in my price range.  I looked at a few, including a BFN.  I passed on the BFN, although nice, wasnt quite what I was after.  A BFN would have been cool, but really glad I didnt get it as I later found out (Gregs) what a crappy slalom boat it is.  Funny a week or two before getting the Supra, I almost drove to New Jersey (for some reason, there was NOTHING in NY) to look at a late 80s Malibu Skier. (I liked the low profile and "california"  colors) I ended up not going just because it was a long trip.  A week or two later, ran up to Adirondack Marine to check out the Supra.  At first, I didnt care for the swoopy lines, but they really grew on me.  It was a great skiing boat.  A bit of a rooster tail at -22, but  wasnt chasing balls much then, so not a big deal and spent all my time at -15.  Despite being conditioned that Nautiques were the best boat around, I think the Supra was ahead of its time in styling, maybe wakes, certainly comparable in fit and finish.  Overall, a top notch boat.  Kept it for 12 years.  

In other news, the 176 got a nice review (98)

MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 8:11pm
Great story(ies)...
My second Supra was an identical twin to yours...red/white '89. Bought it from a stud slalom skier in Alabama...Rafe Armstrong. His Dad met my Dad in New Mexico to get it back to SF Bay Area. 
It was a fantastic performing boat...but then along came a '95 Nautique...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 8:18pm
Great looking ts6m Larry.  I know your skier was a Correct Craft, but what on Earth caused you to trade that Supra for that old school Correct Craft?  Couldn't have been anything to do with skiing. 

Tim, post pics.  I want to see them.

The bow on the ts6m always reminded me of the crows on Spy vs Spy in Mad Magazine.  
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 8:36pm
I will have my assistant forward pics to you directly.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2021 at 9:01pm

... but what on Earth caused you to trade that Supra for that old school Correct Craft?  
A bit of a story, Bruce, but this time of year, we got nuthin' but time, so here it is.  In 2004 we bought our place down in NC.  My incredibly hip mini-van really wasnt up to the task of hauling the Supra back and forth, so I started looking for another boat, nothing expensive, just something that would do while we were in NC.  At first I thought I might be content with a little outboard like my old Baja, but then I started thinking of our old 66 Mustang and thought that would be fun.  That was when I discovered CCF, when I was looking for a second boat. 

I found the Ski Tique in Wolfeboro (actually responding to an ad for an Al Tyll)  So I got the Tique and left it in NC.  After about 4 years, I decided it was silly for it to sit in the driveway down here except for the 2-6 weeks we spent down here in the summer, so I hauled it back to MA.  It was a cooler boat than the supra and pulled me adequately, since I wasnt a big ball chaser then, so I decided to keep the boat I could easily haul back and forth and the Supra went away.  After I got back into slalom, I almost had a second thought, but not really.  The Supra was not a great BF boat as it was not very quick. The Tique served its purpose just fine.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2021 at 12:03pm
I loved my late 80s Malibu. I had the second one in the Atlanta ski club and the only one on Lake Lanier at the time.  Those were the days.  I think I was 16 or 17, turned lose with a Malibu and a shell gas card -- yup that did not last long due to a combination of stupidity and a recession.

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2022 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

JQ

Sanger

Mastercraft

Malibu

KENO you are correct. Sanger just doesn’t come to mind as I haven’t seen a DD Sanger for many-a-year  Also, Sanger doesn’t seem to care about AWSA stamp of approval as a 3-event boat....but I may have to modify my previous statement to FOUR manufacturers and not just 3.  Kinda sad...

JQ, as of a couple of weeks ago, you might say............"and then there were 3" Confused
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2022 at 11:44pm
What happened a couple of weeks ago?  Per their website, it looks like Sanger is still making their DXII model.  It's a direct-drive boat, but Sanger markets it as a barefoot and show-skiing boat.  The website shows that one can get the DXII with a 510 hp Indmar Raptor engine.  Dang.  Well, Jack Davidson was always into FAST boats.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 12:06am
Nice post Ken, I still have 4 or 5 of the Boat review mags, wish I had kept them all.   Merced California was home of Malibu, Sanger was close by in Fresno, Calabria, Brendella, MB Boats were all in Merced with Malibu.
I toured the factory back then and bought a 1987 Malibu skier which we kept for 20 years but I sold my 78 Nautique to buy that Malibu and I will still tell you the 78 Nautique was a better boat on the water.  The Malibu had a much flatter wake and skied really well but it was not sorted out right.  Turned differently depending on how many people were in the boat.  Build quality was a little less than Nautique.   It was pretty, just did not drive as well.,   My brother bought the Supra TS6M, I think his was a 1988, nice boat, drove really well but it was heavy.  Felt like a sled compared to the Malibu.   I don’t remember it’s wake but it must have been near as good as the Malibu.   I would bet the mid 90”s Malibu was a much better boat than my 87.  By the mid 90’s they had a lot more practice.   I think the first Malibu Skier was 1983?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 5:56am

What happened a couple of weeks ago?  Per their website, it looks like Sanger is still making their DXII model.  

Per their FB page on Jan 30, it was announced.

You don't have to be a "booker" to read their page
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2022 at 9:38am
Discontinued?!

Nooooooooo…..

At the Utah Boat Show last week, only Mastercraft had a DD boat on display. I didn’t care for the bright green Kermit The Frog color scheme, but to each his own.  The local CC dealer said they have had 2 or 3 Ski Nautiques on order for over a year.  Still waiting.  I didn’t talk to the Bu Crew…

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic