Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

centering shaft in log

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: centering shaft in log
    Posted: February-20-2021 at 1:19pm
I hit an obstruction. Damaged my prop. Determined that the strut was slightly bent and the shaft tweaked. I replaced the strut with a new one. Used the new double taper shaft to make sure it was aligned in the log. After bedding and bolting I have the shaft looking centered, but the shaft hangs a bit due to the weight and the distance to the strut. I can raise and lower the shaft fairly easily. No real resistance until it is centered. It takes some effort to pull the shaft from there to the top of the log. At the end of the video I made the shaft is held at the point where I start to feel some resistance from the strut positioning. Looks pretty good to me, but I have no experience with this. Should I remove the strut and shim it slightly? I don't think so, but I want to do this right. Any advice? Should the centered position be more short of the point of any resistance from the strut? It seems like the shaft should move up easliy and then require some effort as it reaches and passes the point where the strut starts to want to hold the shaft down. But I hope someone can enlighten me on whether the center point should have easy play in both directions up and down past the center position. . 

shaft1 - YouTube
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 1:37pm
When the shaft is centered in the log, it should rotate freely without any binding in the cutlass. If it doesn't, then yes, the strut needs to be shimmed. A stainless washer between the strut and the hull at each aft strut bolt should do it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 1:56pm
Okay, I'll try to check that. It is a new cutlass in the new strut and even with some water sprayed on it the shaft doesn't exactly turn "freely". Ha! I thought this would be the easy part. My rear motor mounts never freed up even with the ATF/acetone soak. So I have new mounts on the rear. Got the front mounts loose. Thank you for another way to look at the alignment of the shaft.
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 2:04pm
Sweet. I squirted soapy water in the cutlass bearing with a syringe and got a more easily rotated shaft. It is rotating freely a small bit lower than what I consider the center position. Seems to start binding a bit just at where I think it should go. So, time to unbolt the strut and remove all of the bedding again. Alas. But thank you sooo much for the guidance. I will perservere. Miss having it running, but want it to run right :)

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 6:02pm
Yo Pete! Thank you for the advice. I pulled the strut. Removed the bedding material. Re installed the assembly with two stainless washers and liberally coated the cutlass with dish soap and water. Now the shaft hangs in almost exactly the right spot unsupported. It turns, with just a slight resistance at the top and bottom of the log. Turns freely when centered. I'm feeling much more confident in it's position. But also recognize that lubricating the cutlass helps a lot when one is trying to determine where the sweet spot is! There wasn't any damage to my hull when I hit the obstruction, but I did notice that the log is not exactly lined up with the axis of the boat. I guess CC didn't stress about that as much as I might. I will endeavor to align the motor with the shaft and ignore that the motor maybe offset a little. It will be another adventure! Thank you again.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2021 at 6:43pm
Clap Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic