NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey Pete just how cold is it really?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 9:07am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

but a guy we shared the farm fields with (at home) had a skidoo TNT.  That machine was "the bomb" back in the day. We never rode on the ice.  Despite it being like 22 feet thick, it was a household rule.  Surprisingly, we never did see much traffic on the lake.  Snowmobiling and drinking did not mix but of course people did anyway. 

The last sled I owned was a 399TNT. It wasn't as fast as the 699TNT but still got you wherever quickly.

The trail system up here utilizes plenty of lake trails. Without crossing the lakes, getting someplace on a sled can be a chalenge. Ice thickness/condition is checked and then the lake trails are marked. 

Yes, it seems drinking and sledding is common. Most of the trails were created between bars! It's common to hear about accidents around 2am just after closing time. Cry

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 9:16am
Speaking of trails, back in the early days there weren't any. Yup, just as you mentioned Larry, it was just get out there and go wherever you could. The well traveled routes were nothing but moguls. 

Today, it's a different story. The trails are well maintained and groomed like highways. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 10:52am
I was never "into" snowmobiles since down by us you were so limited as to how long you could use it. But motorcycles you could use all year. The winter of 69/70 and 70/71 had the most activity of all time, go carts,snowmobiles,motorcycles,mini bikes and even a car.  The river had always frozen over before Christmas those years. Everyone had something out on our chain- when the ice left there was actually an oil sheen that I have never seen since.  

This is 70/71

50 years later you can see the open water in the back ground-

Very few snowmobiles of the day were faster on ice than one of these. And I wonder why my ears ring today.....

Back then if you were to ask me I thought the winters were great,now days you can keep it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 11:09am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Yes, it seems drinking and sledding is common. Most of the trails were created between bars! It's common to hear about accidents around 2am just after closing time. Cry

Near decapitations by barbed wires fences were always fun stories to hear about.  The favoriate "gin mill" near us was the Buffalo Head Inn, as you can see in the upper right corner, it was right on the tracks.  It was about a 2 mile straight shot down the tracks from the lake.

Besides the tracks, there were about a billion miles of little unplowed camp roads to ride on, but you are right, after a while, both the trails along the tracks and the back roads could get pretty hummocky.  We were in kind of a no mans land between civilization and the real winter sports mecca of Old Forge and the Adirondacks.  As the years went on, I dont really remember when it started, the Adirondacks went the route of all the formal, groomed trails.  Never made it up there to try them, probably after I left the area.  

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[QUOTE=8122pbrainard]

Near decapitations by barbed wires fences were always fun stories to hear about. 

This happened to me on my dirt bike.  Single strand across the trail, caught me chest high & pull me off the bike.  I had no idea what was happening until afterwards.  Good thing I was in 1st gear.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 8:27pm
Back in the days when there weren't any groomed trails and we would just run the fields and roads, fences and barbed wire could be a problem. some would even mount these gaurd/cutters to their sleds:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 9:29pm
Necessity is the mother of invention Pete. Someone's dad probably had first hand experience 25 years or so previously when they took that European trip   

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic