NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seat Cushion Backing Board Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Cushion Backing Board Help
    Posted: February-13-2021 at 11:10am
2001 model year.  Ski Nautique Open Bow

I don't know the proper term for the broken piece, so I'll attempt to describe...

The seat cushion on the flip-up observer seat has a problem.  The bottom of the cushion is a hard piece of some type of composite material that acts as the upholstery staple point and is screwed to the flip-up seat base to secure the cushion.

Is this hard piece at the bottom of the cushion called "backing board"?  Anyway, the backing board has broken in half and now the seat cushion needs to be repaired.  The skins are in great shape, so I removed the skins to expose the foam, plastic liner and backing board thing.  The backing board is white and looks to be 3/8" thick or so and seems to be made of some type of composite -- definitely not wood.  I need to find a replacement piece that I can cut-to-fit and re-assemble the seat cushion.

Any ideas what this backing board is and where I can find a suitable replacement?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 11:19am
JQ,
What you are looking at is cellular PVC.

Many of the home improvement stores sell it as PVC trim board. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 12:26pm
I have heard it referred to as expanded pvc (or xpvc). I haven’t heard the “cellular pvc” name before. Can you confirm that’s the same thing?
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 1:20pm
I had to replace mine as well. I ordered a 24”x48” piece of 1/2” HDPE on Amazon for like $50. Seems much more durable.
Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 1:23pm
Thanks Gents.  Online, I found both the cellular PVC and the expanded PVC. One vendor here has both so I will take the broken piece and see what looks like the best match.  I also may drop by a local marine upholstery shop and see what they recommend. 

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Thanks Gents.  Online, I found both the cellular PVC and the expanded PVC. One vendor here has both so I will take the broken piece and see what looks like the best match.  I also may drop by a local marine upholstery shop and see what they recommend. 

JQ

JQ,
Did the vendor have a decent description of both? I did some searching after Tim questioned the possible difference between cellular and XPVC but couldn't find any info. I always thought they were the same??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Mikeski2000 Mikeski2000 wrote:

I had to replace mine as well. I ordered a 24”x48” piece of 1/2” HDPE on Amazon for like $50. Seems much more durable.

Mike,
Did you have any problems getting the staples into the HDPE? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mikeski2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeski2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2021 at 3:23pm
No, but I use a pneumatic stapler. With the way that the seat base cantilever’s over the frame, I had two of the regular material crack. Seems people like to step there when entering the boat off the dock.
The HDPE is a little less brittle, but still vary rigid.
Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2021 at 9:44pm
Update:  The PVC board that I found was not to my liking as it was only 3/8" thick and seemed brittle.  Instead, I purchased a 1/2" X 24" X 36" sheet of HDPE for the seat backboard.  The HDPE is heavier, but is much more robust.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
ChristinesMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinesMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 5:01pm
Here is a little tip that I used for years. CC used expanded PVC from 92 and up to ? You can repair it with clear heavy duty PVC cement. Apply generously to all broken pieces then clamp together, if clamping isn't possible, lay the piece on your workbench and squeeze the pieces together as hard as you can and have someone tape across the break (s) with duct tape then flip it over and do the same. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. I have done dozens and found the repair was stronger than the rest of the board. I actually tested one and the board broke in other places while the repair held!
Thank you all for the Many Years of Support     
~~~ (Retired) ChristinesMarine ~~~ In God We Trust ~~~
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2021 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by ChristinesMarine ChristinesMarine wrote:

Here is a little tip that I used for years. CC used expanded PVC from 92 and up to ? You can repair it with clear heavy duty PVC cement. Apply generously to all broken pieces then clamp together, if clamping isn't possible, lay the piece on your workbench and squeeze the pieces together as hard as you can and have someone tape across the break (s) with duct tape then flip it over and do the same. Let it sit for at least 24 hours. I have done dozens and found the repair was stronger than the rest of the board. I actually tested one and the board broke in other places while the repair held!

Thanks for the nice tip.  Good to know.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
spoink47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoink47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

2001 model year.  Ski Nautique Open Bow

I don't know the proper term for the broken piece, so I'll attempt to describe...

The seat cushion on the flip-up observer seat has a problem.  The bottom of the cushion is a hard piece of some type of composite material that acts as the upholstery staple point and is screwed to the flip-up seat base to secure the cushion.

Is this hard piece at the bottom of the cushion called "backing board"?  Anyway, the backing board has broken in half and now the seat cushion needs to be repaired.  The skins are in great shape, so I removed the skins to expose the foam, plastic liner and backing board thing.  The backing board is white and looks to be 3/8" thick or so and seems to be made of some type of composite -- definitely not wood.  I need to find a replacement piece that I can cut-to-fit and re-assemble the seat cushion.

Any ideas what this backing board is and where I can find a suitable replacement?

JQ
Have you eventually repair? I faced kinda same issue, so your story would help me out here
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:01pm
Andy,
JQ is a frequent visitor so be patient as he'll be on and hopefully catch your question.

Regarding the problem with the expanded PVC backer board breaking, HDPE ia an alternate some have used:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 1:22pm
Andy:

First, I removed the entire seat cushion from the mounting.  Then I carefully removed the broken bottom pieces.  I laid out the broken pieces to evaluate what I would need.  Then I went to the local plastics supply dealer.  Impressive outfit...like a big-box store for all things plastic.  Anyway, I found a sheet of of white / natural HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene).  I measured the basic rectangular size of the seat bottom that had broken and had the plastic outfit cut a rectangular piece that measured 24" X 36" X 1/2" thick.  The HDPE was just regular stuff...not the special marine-grade UV resistant.

Back home, I used the old, broken pieces as a template for the new HDPE sheet.  I then carefully cut out a new seat bottom using a hand-held jig saw.  I should have used a router with a quarter round-over bit to soften the edges, but I simply used a belt sander instead.  Once I got the seat base ready, I took the new HDPE seat base and upholstery "stuff" to a local upholstery shop I've used in the past.  Total cost was $35 for the HDPE and $75 for the upholstery work.  Not too bad.  The new seat is much more robust.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by spoink47 spoink47 wrote:

]
Have you eventually repair? I faced kinda same issue, so your story would help me out here

I would try the PVC cement and glue it first thats what I did on my '95s make sure to use primer one it before gluing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic