NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark / running out of ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
Jimscorpsewhale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark / running out of ideas
    Posted: February-03-2021 at 7:46pm
I have a 1985 SN 2001 RH rotation with a 351.

I pulled off the old heads and put on some gt40 heads from 5.0 as well as an edelbrock performer intake.  I did new plugs and wires at the same time.  After I put everything back together I don't have a spark...   Initially it looked like the distributor cap was bad.  The spring loaded connection between the cap and the rotor was tired and didn't seem to be making a connection.  I replaced the cap/coil and got a new battery with more cranking amps ( i think 900) at the same time.  Still no spark.  I tested the timing light on a car at this point as well and it does work....   I then replaced the distributor with a davis unified ignition.  The cables from the battery to the solenoid were pretty corroded so I replaced those.  There was some dip in the voltage to the coil with cranking so I got a second battery and connected the hot wire to coil to it to make sure I was getting 12v to the coil.  Still nothing.  The DUI people said that the distributor would need to be spinning ~ 300 rpm to make a spark.  The starter was not doing that so I replaced it (solenoid to) and while the cranking speed is much better Im still not getting any spark.  I cleaned the ground site on the block really well.  I not sure if maybe raising the compression is making it harder on the starter and I dont have enough cranking speed.  I may add another battery I have in the garage to the mix.  I did the test that DUI prescribed on the coil/distributor and it seems to check out.  I emailed them as well.  I'm stumped.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2021 at 8:19pm
Have you seen the distributor actually turn when you are cranking it over?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2021 at 8:38pm
Yes the rotor turns when I crank it
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2021 at 11:13pm
Was the motor running before doing the modifications?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 1:04am
Okay, ignore (almost) everything I said below the dotted line since I thought you had conventional coil and points.  After writing that up, I when back and saw that you replaced the distributor with a David Unified Ignition (distributor).  I thought you had gotten a new coil, not an electronic distributor, so had to look it up.

That said, I honestly don't buy the '300 RPM or it won't spark line).  A standard coil and points will spark (if appropriate voltage) whether it is 5,000 RPM or 1 RPM.  The problem with this all-in-one unit is it is hard to determine where the problem lies, as well as trigger a spark.

You said you have +12v voltage to the unit.  I'm assuming it has the snot grounded out of it so you don't need a separate ground (negative) connection.  However, in this picture https://www.jegs.com/i/DUI/314/M35820BK/10002/-1
 I see red and black wires, so it could be possible that it needs a separate ground along with 12v power.  Make sure you have a good ground; maybe the electronic module is internally isolated and it needs its own ground separate from the distributor body, and it needs to be a good ground.

What's the test that DUI had you do?  I'm curious.  That info will help us understand what is going on, and how that test confirms operation.

There should be a way to confirm that it will generate a spark.  

And even if you installed the distributor incorrectly (not at TDC), the most that would do is to cause a spark at the incorrect time in one of the strokes.  But there should still be a spark.  So that isn't it.

At this point, I suspect a wiring issue (ground), or an issue with the unit.  The problem is you don't have a separate coil so you can test that high tension line or the coil itself.  If it is powered correctly, then either it is not sensing the rotating shaft (pick up), or it is flat out DOA.

Interesting, my '97 with PCM GT40 MPI and electronic ignition still uses a conventional distributor cap and rotor; the 'coil' is part of the ignition module, which is near the throttle body, but it has a high tension line that goes to the center of the distributor just like a convention points distributor (except instead of points it has a pick up that sends the signal to fire a spark to the module).

Let us know.

--------------------------------
IF YOU HAVE STANDARD COIL AND POINTS:
I'm assuming this is standard ignition, not electronic ignition.  Since you have 12v to the coil, I'd look at the backside (negative) wiring from the coil.  The negative side goes to ground via the points.   The coil charges up when powered (points close), and when power is disconnected (points open), the coil releases the spark through the high tension wire.

I'd do the following:
1.  Check the points gap?  Are you sure they are opening and closing by the distributor shaft lobes as it turns?  I've had them work lose before on a car and stop opening.

2.  With the ignition on (12v to the coil), you should be able to manually open and close the points with a screwdriver.  The points will probably spark slightly, and if you run the coil high tension output to near a ground, you should get a good strong spark.

3. If you still are not getting a spark and you still have 12v to the coil, jump the negative side of the coil directly to ground).  You should be able to short that negative wire fro the coil directly to ground (which imitates points closing, thereby powering/charging up the coil).  When you un-short it from ground (which is the same as the points opening), you should get a spark out of the high tension line.  If you don't, then your coil is suspect (note:  Don't leave the coil connected to ground for long periods; it may overheat).

4. If you get spark when shorting and un-shorting the coil negative side to ground but don't when you move the points, then you have a wiring problem between the coil and the points.

5.  If you see a lot of points sparking when opening/closing them by hand and you are getting a weak or no spark from the high tension wire, it could be the condenser is bad.  That rarely happened back in the day where all cars had points, condenser, and coil (at least in my case), but you will not get a good spark if the condenser is bad (or it could even be shorting out).  So if you did all of the above with no spark, I'd probably change it.

If you do have electronic ignition, the electronic module has some sort of sensor in the distributor that signals when it needs to disconnect the coil-to-ground connection, releasing the spark.  So if you can get spark by jumping the negative side of coil repeatedly to ground and get spark, but you don't with the electronic module, then the module is suspect.

Let us know what you find out.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 1:15am
BTW, on my '96 (with the same GT40), I replaced my original heads with GT40P heads (originals developed hairline cracks in the water jacket and started leaking externally).  They raised the compression (giving me 200 more RPM, 1.5mph faster at WOT, and better economy).  But you couldn't tell the difference when turning it over/starting it (ie: starter seemed to turn at the same or near same speed; regardless, enough to start every time).  Granted, going from standard heads to GT40 heads may be more of a compression change than going from stock GT40 to GT40P heads, but engines can crank pretty slowly and still start as long as they get spark at the right time (just takes one cylinder to fire which increases rotation speed and the rest fall in place).  The biggest problem I've seen with slow cranking starters has generally been because of low battery power/low voltage.  That will cause no spark, but you certainly don't have the problem of low voltage to the module/coil during cranking.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 1:29am
Okay, one more thing.  Conventional ignition uses a ballast resister that lowers the voltage to the coil when the engine is running to keep the coil temp down.  I'm assuming that your instructions for the DUI said to bypass any ballast resistor since the module should be modulating any voltage change needed in the internal coil to manage temperature.  When you 'start', a full 12v goes to a conventional coil (needed especially since overall voltage drops while the starter is cranking), and it drops when the key is released to the 'run' position when there is no more starter load, and the alternator kicks in and increases the voltage.  Electronic ignition should not need it.  So just checking to make sure it isn't needed and you bypassed it.  It would not make a difference in your situation when you are trying to start the engine since you should be getting the full 12v, but it could affect operation once started if the voltage is now low to the module.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 6:57am
It ran before then”improvements”. The ballast resistor was already bypassed prior to the DUI. I can take some pictures and describe the tests later today.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 7:25am
James,
Get the VOM back out and check the resistance between a good ground on the block to the DUI. This should tell you if the DUI has a good ground?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 7:56am
I did. I think I had 5ohms between the ground and block. I also took a jumper cable from the shaft of the distributor to the negative pole of the battery.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 7:57am
5 ohms would be pretty reasonable right?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Jimscorpsewhale Jimscorpsewhale wrote:

5 ohms would be pretty reasonable right?

No - a value of .5 would still be to high
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 8:15am
Ok I will check it again and report back. I would have thought adding the jumper cable as a ground would have bypassed the problem. Or not?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 8:16am
Jame,
A rough calculation for voltage drop with a 5 Ohm resistanve is almost 4 volts. Check the actual volts the DUI is seeing when you are cranking the engine. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 11:46am
It sounded like he's getting good voltage on the plus side of the input to the DUI, but to your point, with a 5ohm ground resistance, 12v isn't getting to ground.

Jim, I take it there is only one wire connection to the DUI, the +12v supply line, and not a separate ground connection (ground is through the distributor).

Let us know when you get a chance on the tests DUI had you do to confirm operation.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 12:40pm
Yes there is a 12v wire in. The coil has a black wire that grounds it to the body of the distributor. What would y’all suggest for adding a ground? Clamp a wire to the distributor shaft and ground it to the battery?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 12:45pm
https://performancedistributors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/GM%20Street%20DUI%20Instructions.pdf

Im not the most computer savvy. My apologies. The above link is the trouble shooting thing from dui. I have done everything other than the module test at the end. The trouble shooting part is at the end
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 3:24pm
When i check the resistance between the ground wire on the coil to were the battery cable is grounded on the block I get 1.8 ohms. The ground should be ok?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 5:57pm
Did you follow all seven troubleshooting tests in their .pdf?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 6:02pm
If nothing else, you can pull the dizzy, hook it up to a battery & a spark plug (with grounds of course), then spin it by hand or drill.  If no spark, send it back.  You can do same thing with original dizzy to see if that one works too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 6:05pm
Ah, sorry, I see you did everything but testing the module.  Frankly, I'm surprised that they want you to disassemble it and take it to a shop that has the ability to test the module since it's brand new.  I guess you'd need to find someone that sells them to see if they can test it.  I have no idea what test equipment is required, or if most auto parts stores would have them.

Also, the coil and magnetic pick up tests only test static resistance.  They don't have you do a manual energize test on the coil, nor do they have you do anything to confirm that the magnetic pick up actually sends the signal.

I know this is a lame question, but is the pick up wheel/spokes there and lined up to where the pick up sensor is?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 8:39pm
I talked with dui today and they are going to send me a new module.

Pick up wheel and spokes? Not sure exactly which part we are talking about.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 11:21pm
There is generally a sort of wheel / disk / spokey'thing that rotates on the distributor shaft that the magnetic pick up is aimed at.  That's what gives the module the 'pulse' to fire the coil.  If there's nothing spinning near the magnetic sensor, it won't fire.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 11:22pm
It has eight spokes, knobs, bumps or some such thing for each cylinder.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 7:09am
Did you hook up anything to the tach side of the distributor cap next to the 12 volt feed? If you did try unplugging it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 12:05pm
Slskrs- there is a connection from the coil down to the rotor that seems fine. It’s spring loaded. The rotor has a small piece of metal at the end that contacts the connection to the plug wire. That all seems good.

I did try it with the tach wire unplugged but it had no effect.

I plan to change the module and then if that doesn’t help pull it out and do the above suggested drill based test....
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 12:12pm
I'm gonna dis my own suggestion & say it ain't worth the time, as long as you are sure rotor is turning when engine cranks.  If you are getting 12V to input of dizzy & have a good ground, then it is either trigger module or coil.

I assume you have good connection to spark plug wires.  Have you tried to pull plugs & watch for spark from them? 

You replaced starter - are you sure it is turning the right direction?

I worked in a heavy equipment assy factory & we had brand new electronics modules, that had passed testing at supplier, fail every day.  Amazing, isn't it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If nothing else, you can pull the dizzy, hook it up to a battery & a spark plug (with grounds of course), then spin it by hand or drill.  If no spark, send it back.  You can do same thing with original dizzy to see if that one works too.

Here's a picture of how to do what SNobsessed described for your DUI distributor. (You'll have to rotate the picture or your head 90 degrees)

It's from the electrical section of "The Backyard Hack's Handbook"

It's really pretty easy to do and it'll tell you if the distributor makes spark.

Clamp the distributor in a vise

Clamp a pair of vise grips to the vise

Take a spark plug wire and a spark plug and ground the plug by stuffing it into the vise grips like shown, and hook the other end to any terminal on the distributor

Take a 12 volt battery and 2 test leads and hook the Negative lead to the vise grips. This now has your distributor grounded to the battery thru the vise and the vise grips and the plug is grounded too so it'll spark when you spin the distributor in a little bit.

Now take the other test lead and hook it from the battery positive to the 12 volt feed to the distributor (the red wire in my picture) The Green tach lead in the picture doesn't need to be hooked to anything.

The only thing left to do now is spin the distributor shaft by hand and if it works you'll hear a distinct little "pop" 8 times per revolution and since you have one plug hooked up, you'll see the plug spark once per revolution or every 8th pop.

Now you'll know if it works  If it does, your problem is elsewhere.

Don't forget to unhook the power wire after you're done spinning it.

If it doesn't work, at least you have a new module on the way and since you said you've done all the other tests, that just leaves the module to replace.

If you put in a new module, you'll need some thermal paste/heat transfer paste to spread on the bottom of the new module when you install it, or the module won't last to terribly long.

BTW The distributor in the photo is for a Chevy so the housing looks a little different, but that doesn't matter.

And you'll see that it definitely doesn't take 300 rpm for it to spark

This works with the HEI with the coil in the cap, if you wanted to test your old distributor, you'd need to wire up a coil too in order to test it.

So..............That's how an accomplished hack would do it.

It took a lot less time to do the test than it did to write this post Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 10:18pm
Nice write up Ken.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 10:59pm
KENO:

That is some quality hackery, no doubt.  Yankee ingenuity meets redneck.  Sure y'all not from the South?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic