NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark / running out of ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
Author
Jimscorpsewhale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 8:31pm
Nothing impressive a little ring near the top of the wall that was a kind or rough but otherwise smooth
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Jimscorpsewhale Jimscorpsewhale wrote:

Well I checked the gauge against my air compressor and it was close. At worst it’s a slight underestimate.

Dry I’m getting close to 80 in all of the cylinders except #8 this time. Not sure it read 85 last time and this time it was like 100.

After the oil they all get over 100 except #4 is at 90. Most get close to 110.

Not sure how to square it in my head. When i drove it seemed to have decent midrange power and it started right up....

Anything else I need to check?

Logically, you started with an engine that ran and started fine and made it into one that doesn't do either right now.

I doubt the bottom end just suddenly went bad while you were swapping the heads and intake.

With the oil, you should have had compression numbers a lot higher, so I think I'd be thinking about a leakdown test to figure out if you're leaking compression out your valves or if they're sealing good and tight and it's going past the rings. Lots of info can be found on doing a leakdown test on the internet.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 9:07am
Poor man's leakdown test, just get an air hose-spark plug adapter & feed 80 psi or so into the cylinder.  Engine might turn some when you apply the pressure so beware on that.  When pressure is on, you will be able to hear where it is leaking - either through the valve cover oil hole (rings) or intake / exhaust manifolds (valves).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 9:28am
So I’ll go ahead with the leak down. I have a question. When you read about the automotive version you put the car in gear so the engine doesn’t turn over as you add the air.   If i have the boat in neutral when I add the air then the engine may rotatate and the valve may open and create “leak”. Should I put it in forward or reverse? Is the a better way to prevent rotation?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 9:35am

So I’ll go ahead with the leak down. I have a question. When you read about the automotive version you put the car in gear so the engine doesn’t turn over as you add the air.   If i have the boat in neutral when I add the air then the engine may rotatate and the valve may open and create “leak”. Should I put it in forward or reverse? Is the a better way to prevent rotation?

No, putting the trans into forward or reverse will do nothing. Without the engine running, there's no pressure from the trans pump to activate the clutch packs

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 10:06am
The engine isn’t that hard to turn by hand so I’m pretty sure if I put 80psi on it then it’s going to turn.

Does anyone have any suggestion about how to keep it from rotating?

I guess if i can’t keep it from turning then I could pull the rods and the valves will be closed for sure. Then there wouldn’t be any question about wether the leak would be related to the valve being partially open.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Logically, you started with an engine that ran and started fine and made it into one that doesn't do either right now.

I doubt the bottom end just suddenly went bad while you were swapping the heads and intake.

Genius. The issue (issues) have to do with the changes made. Do we know them all?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 12:20pm
I agree and as the thread has a run over quite a long time I can recap.

I bought the boat in November. At the time I picked it up it ran. Started relatively easily and while I didn’t really drive aggressively the power seemed fine through the midrange.

I bought and edelbrock performer intake and iron gt40p heads.

After the install I went to time the boat. I didn’t get flash from the timing light. The distributor cap was in pretty bad shape so I swapped it. I still didn’t have a flash and then replaced the distributor with one from DUI. It ended up being the digital timing light. An analog light and an inline checker confirmed the spark. I did replace the starter as well. There was a question at that point whether I was 180 degrees out of time. I pulled the valve cover to confirm the timing and found water in the oil.

I pulled the heads and intake. Cleaned everything up put new gaskets down.

The pushrods are the same the lifters are new. Nothing else has changed.

Currently the timing is correct, I have a spark, there is fuel delivery from the carb.

The compression is down. I plan to do the leak down.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 12:38pm

I did replace the starter as well. 

Jim,
I know the direction of rotation came up before and at that time you stated that it was correct due to the direction the distributor rotor was turning. How about checking the rotation again. Looking at the front of the engine, which way is the new starter cranking the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 12:48pm
The balancer and the distributor both spin CC
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 1:20pm
An engine at exactly TDC wont turn over. If it did try you could just hold it with a wrench on the damper bolt.  While TDC is preferred I do believe a piston at BDC can be leak down tested as long as the valves are closed. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 1:37pm
Thanks Gary. I’ll start with the number one cylinder. I assume that if I need to test the other cylinders i need to get them up as well...
Although what’s plaguing #1 is probably the same on the others.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 5:37pm

The pushrods are the same the lifters are new.

Now this is something that hasn't been mentioned yet.....those new lifters Wink

When did they show up?  back at the beginning or when you cleaned out the sludgy, watery oil and put things back together.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2021 at 6:50pm
New lifters and old camshaft...well ask 10 gear-heads and get 15 different answers.  I know I wouldn’t do it — at a minimum you should consider a cam break-in process once you get the gremlins worked out.  

There are some things that have some of us scratching our collective heads,  First, you had an engine that was running before you made the modifications, so the gremlins are most likely due to mods.  I doubt that you took a compression test before the teardown, so we don’t have a baseline compression to compare against.  I believe you mentioned your compression numbers are at or near 80 psi.  IMO it would be difficult to get the engine to run at that low psi. Obviously the leak down test is going to be vital.

Several things come to mind as potential causes of sudden loss of compression across all cylinders:
  • severely warped heads
  • head gaskets wrong and/or improperly installed
  • poor valve grinding / valve job (leaking valves)
  • valve train geometry is off (lifters, valve stem length, push-rod length and rocker ratio)
  • if you pulled the timing chain, it may be off by a tooth
Since you had water in the oil, bad head gaskets or improperly installed head gaskets comes to mind.  A head gasket problem can cause both symptoms you have described.  It's also possible that the valve job was completely botched and the sealing surfaces between the valves and seats are bad and leaking.  If I was in the neighborhood, I’d love to come help out...

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 7:23am
New lifters At the start. Sorry about the negligent reporting. Not on purpose.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 7:48am
As far as the head gaskets I used a new set after the oil fiasco. I cleaned the surface of the block, used the dowels to line up the gasket, made sure the front tab was in the front and torqued it in the specified pattern. It was three steps with a final torque of 90 is believe.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 8:54am

Carnac here says he's getting this foggy, cloudy vision that your problems are related to the lifter replacement and keeps mumbling things like "did you prelube the engine after replacing the lifters?" and did you ever see oil pressure get to about 20 pounds or so while cranking,.or with your slow cranking did it hardly have any pressure?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 9:43am
So I used engine assembly lube on the lifters. Also before I put the distributor in and the valve covers on I used a speed wrench to pump up the oil until it went up through all the rods into the rockers... I hope this is what a pre-lube is.

I set the tension on the rockers prior to doing the pump up.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 10:23am

So I used engine assembly lube on the lifters. Also before I put the distributor in and the valve covers on I used a speed wrench to pump up the oil until it went up through all the rods into the rockers... I hope this is what a pre-lube is.

I set the tension on the rockers prior to doing the pump up.

That all sounds like you did your homework when first getting into the job

You cleared up Carnac's foggy vision   Wink

I guess we'll be waiting to see if the valves are shut or leaking on the leakdown check. And if they're leaking, loosen the rockers so the springs are shutting them with no lifter/pushrod forces involved and do the test again to compare results.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 12:50pm
When it finally starts for you a camshaft break in will be absolutely necessary.  You need 2,000 RPM to get the new lifters broken in to spinning in your lifter bores.  If they don't spin the camshaft will go flat.  This needs to be done as soon as the engine starts and you quickly verify that you have good oil pressure, your cooling system is not leaking and it is safe to spin up to 2,000 RPM.  Keep it there for 20-30 minutes then it is good for the life of the engine.
Unfortunately many cam failures are created by engines that will not start right away after rebuild and excessive cranking using the starter has taken place.  My fingers are crossed that your cam is just fine.  
I think your engine should start even with only 80 PSI per cylinder if the Timing and Fuel were both working properly.   I had a GM 305 that only had 100 PSI and it started and ran normally but was low on power.  When I rebuilt it I found someone had installed GM 350 heads with 76cc chambers on the 305 which should have had smaller chambers, 60cc or so.  It was in a full size 1978 4x4 that I bought in the mid 80's.  Nice Truck, short bed 4x4, lifted with nice tires but it had no power, the truck was a dog and got 10 MPG, I bought it cheap knowing it needed engine work.  I put a 455 Buick in that truck and it still got 10 mpg but was a beast, fast with tons of torque.  I doubt if that poorly built 305 had 250 pounds of torque, the 455 was rated at 500 ft pounds.  OK, that is your entertainment for today, your Ford engine should start and run as is.
I never suggest this but in this case I would get a can of starting fluid.  You need to know if you spray a bunch of this stuff into your carb it can blow a hole in a piston, use it lightly.  Don't spray until you are already cranking the starter so you don't get too much in one cylinder.   It should try to start or actually start immediately.  The engine will not like the starting fluid, it will make pinging noises.   Only try this to see if it starts or tries to start.  Note what happens,  any backfires might point you in the direction you need to chase.   Spray lightly or you can do lots of engine damage but this stuff fires off much easier than gasoline, it will fire with a weak spark or with low compression.  Put this down as a shade tree test but you might learn something.  Maybe your spark is not hot enough to light a fire in the cylinders.  If your Timing and Spark Plug wires are correct the explosions will blow out the exhaust.  If they start blowing up the carb your timing is off or your plug wires are wrong.  For $5 and 60 seconds of time donated you might learn what do do next.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I never suggest this but in this case I would get a can of starting fluid.  

For $5 and 60 seconds of time donated you might learn what do do next.

This has come up on CCF more than once, with some excellent arguments and led to people calling each other various different adjectives, usually not very complimentary Wink
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2021 at 5:27pm
In my old job I bet I saw 25 different piston failures caused by someone mis using starting fluid.  If you use to much,  or use it badly things break quickly.  I even saw one engine with the intake manifold blown off.
I keep two cans in my garage and use them when needed, carefully.  Have not broken anything yet but I know what not to do.
It is the safest to spray while the engine is spinning so no large concentration hits one cylinder.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:19am
The leak down showed > 50% leak. The vast majority of the air came from the breather cap and the dipstick.

I gonna pull it and get a new short block.

On that front the reviews for maabco, Atk, and to a lesser extent rapido marine are terrible. I know that people with bad experiences are much more likely to post. Anyone had good experiences with any of these?

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 10:26am
Jim, I’ve heard some good things about Michigan Motorz

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 2:01pm
A buddy of mine has had an ATK replacement engine in his 1983 SN for several years.  Good, strong engine.  I have also heard good things about Michigan Motorz as mentioned above. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 5:45pm
I think at long last we can see that 80 psi we a real compression figure and of course that’s just not enough to get it running.

Seems hard to imagine it ran before and seemed to be running decently.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2021 at 6:25pm
Jasper Engines, AER in Texas are well established engine builders that ship nationwide.
Both build thousands of engines per year and offer warranty.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2021 at 8:01am
I certainly don't profess to know the details of leakdown versus compression testing but it strikes me as a little strange that an engine that ran before head work and does not run now needs a new bottom end. In the same situation, I'd be more suspicious of the items I recently changed....
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 11:55am
Agree. I have a gnawing suspicion that we may not yet have all the puzzle pieces...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 10:18am
Yeah if there are other pieces unfortunately I’m not aware of them either....   if any one wants to come get the block for a post mortem exam I’ll be happy to give it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 456
  Share Topic