NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark / running out of ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2021 at 10:53am
I put the Performer RPM on mine with no cork gaskets on the “China wall” but used Permatex Ultra Black. I also used Fel Pro on the intake gaskets instead of the Edelbrock.  I also applied Ultra Black around the water ports.  Worked well.  Strong running engine with Edelbrock intake, QF carby and DUI dizzy.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I put the Performer RPM on mine with no cork gaskets on the “China wall” but used Permatex Ultra Black. I also used Fel Pro on the intake gaskets instead of the Edelbrock.  I also applied Ultra Black around the water ports.  Worked well.  Strong running engine with Edelbrock intake, QF carby and DUI dizzy.

JQ

That’s the hot setup. Nice.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2021 at 6:46pm
If you use silicone for the China wall seal at both ends of the intake manifold make sure to test fit the manifold before adding silicone.  You need to know how high you need to apply the silicone to fill the gap.  Every machine shop I called converted to using silicone on the China walls many years ago.  It is leak free so long as your block and manifold are clean and you put it on thick enough.  You don’t want excess but you have to have enough height to fill the gap.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2021 at 7:20pm
Good points.
Also, it is best to let the silicone 'set' for a while, to gain some stiffness before installing manifold. 
Seals better.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Good points.
Also, it is best to let the silicone 'set' for a while, to gain some stiffness before installing manifold. 
Seals better.

I learned that the third try on valve covers on an Audi S8 that kept leaking. Those sharp corners really needed some time to get set up.
Jimscorpsewhale View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 12:07pm
I did fit test the manifold before I put it all together. I used the rtv on the China walls. Appeared to get good contact but not so much that it squished everywhere. I didn’t see the comment about letting it set prior to installation. I hate to tear it off and get new gaskets over that unless it’s absolutely necessary. Hopefully it’ll be ok.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 12:27pm
However if the consensus opinion is that this is fatal error then I guess I should go ahead and pull it
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Jimscorpsewhale Jimscorpsewhale wrote:

However if the consensus opinion is that this is fatal error then I guess I should go ahead and pull it

Here's one opinion.................no problem whatsoever Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 12:58pm
My bias is to go with an opinion that allows me to move forward...

I used the ultrablack permatex. The directions didn’t say anything about waiting. Just says apply a continuous bead, remove excess with a knife, then assemble parts immediately.

24 hours should be enough curing time right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 1:25pm
I didn’t let the Permatex Ultra black cure.  I didn’t hurry the install, so maybe 5 minutes between application and setting the intake in place.  I did, however only finger-tighten intake bolts for several hours before torquing to spec.  

I think you’re good to go.  Don’t pull everything apart when you don’t know if you have a problem yet. 

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 2:14pm
I guess maybe curing wasn’t the right word. I meant how long before it’s ok to run it on the hose. Not that I’m really at that point.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2021 at 3:34pm
I would allow a cure time of 48 hours in the winter.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 8:08pm
I’ve got everything back together. I’m waiting for a fuel filter to show up then I’ll give it go. I set the timing tonight. It cranked over a whole lot faster without the oil/water sludge in it :).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 8:13pm

I’ve got everything back together. I’m waiting for a fuel filter to show up then I’ll give it go. I set the timing tonight. It cranked over a whole lot faster without the oil/water sludge in it :).

It's about time, good luck Jim Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2021 at 9:34pm
Well I gave it a shot. The engine cranked well and pick up speed like it was trying to catch. Significantly faster than before.

I set the timing and it looked good. I know I was a tdc when i put the distributor back in. I watched the intake valve close and then went on to the mark. Did the slo mo timing video again and it was dead on.

The spark plug inline tester lit.

I can see fuel coming out of the jets in the carb. I tried squirting some gas down the primary passages. It really seemed like it was going to catch.

I checked the compression. Couple of things I’m not sure about. I opened the throttle all the way. I worked my way around from one to eight pulling each testing that one and then replacing it. I had the battery on the charger and another one hooked on it with jumper cables so I seemed to have decent cranking power/speed. Got about 80-85 on each. I couldn’t see the gauge while I cranked but would crank for a slow four count. I hope I’m doing something wrong or maybe I’m looking at new short block.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 6:23am
Pull all the plugs then do the test. Do not replace any plugs until test is completed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 9:12am
Do I need to do it dry then again with some fogging oil?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 12:26pm
Broken record here, did you ever check for water in the gas?

I just worked on my lawn mower, which had fresh gas w/ stabil put in it last fall (wasn't full though).

I emptied the gas out & it had water in it, from condensation.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 1:03pm
I drained the tank before this go. Fresh gas and fresh fuel filter .
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 3:07pm

Well I gave it a shot. The engine cranked well and pick up speed like it was trying to catch. Significantly faster than before.

I set the timing and it looked good. I know I was a tdc when i put the distributor back in. I watched the intake valve close and then went on to the mark. Did the slo mo timing video again and it was dead on.

The spark plug inline tester lit.

I can see fuel coming out of the jets in the carb. I tried squirting some gas down the primary passages. It really seemed like it was going to catch.

I checked the compression. Couple of things I’m not sure about. I opened the throttle all the way. I worked my way around from one to eight pulling each testing that one and then replacing it. I had the battery on the charger and another one hooked on it with jumper cables so I seemed to have decent cranking power/speed. Got about 80-85 on each. I couldn’t see the gauge while I cranked but would crank for a slow four count. I hope I’m doing something wrong or maybe I’m looking at new short block.

Where's this fuel you see, the only fuel you should see is if the accelerator pump shoots some out it's discharge nozzles when the throttle is pumped, otherwise if you see fuel is going in above the throttle plates while you're trying to start it, it's flooding the engine

At least your readings are consistent but low, I'd verify the gauge is good before gettng too excited.Another gauge to compare to or hook it to an air compressor and see if it's ballpark with the compressor gauge.

You said this engine ran good before the "improvements" right. ?

Engines don't run good with 80 pounds per cylinder.

If you're gonna add oil to the cylinders for comparison of readings, about a tablespoons worth of oil squirted in each is a good amount. Your engine oil will be fine
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 4:30pm
Good means it started and ran fine when I went to pick it up. I didn’t try and pull a skier or anything so maybe the appears. I drove it for a about 10 min on the river and then headed out (I’m sure I should have been more thorough and that’s just one of the useful lessons I’ve learned).

The only time I see fuel is if I pump the accelerator and it spirits.

I’ll try to validate the gauge.

If the pressure comes up with the oil then it should be the rings correct? It seems like it should be anyway since the heads are reman.

It redo the compression test Sunday with all the plugs out.

Anything else I should check out?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 4:37pm
When you test compression how many bumps are you counting?  I crank the engine watching my comp gauge, the compression rises for about 6 bumps, revolutions and then it stops rising.  That is your number.  If you did it this way and only have 80 psi there is a problem.  Testing with all 8 plugs out takes a load off your battery and starter.  Also gives more rpm for a good test.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 6:38pm
I doubt I got a full six cycles. I’ll do it again with all the plugs out and try to validate the gauge. Thank you for your support of Jim’s eternal goat rodeo.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 8:08pm

If you hang on long enough Jim , the goat gets tired Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2021 at 9:35pm
Any possibility the pushrods aren't correct for the new heads?

Ben Franklin
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2021 at 3:23am
JIm, you can test just one and have a pretty good idea if you did a good test the first time since they all tested the same.  Love that picture Ken, our town hosts the Folsom Pro Rodeo every July 4th weekend, that event is one of the best of the show.  Mutton Busters, I think they call them.

Push rods, good idea to verify, I was wondering if the head chambers are the same size from old to new.
Something is off or this baby would be purring by now.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2021 at 10:10am
So my understanding was the pushrods should behave been fine for the heads. I guess if in the rebuild it has been altered then maybe not. When I attached the rockers I watched valve opposite the one I was working on. So if I 1e was fully open I would attach 1i as that one should have been on the base of the lobe. I got it to zero lash and then all torqued to 20lb within one turn of wrench.

How to I go back and test the rod length?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 7:08am
It sounds like you read this old thread here on CCF in the link below and probably read a lot of stuff too Wink

The math says you're near .060 preload which is in the OK range.

I'd wait on your validating of the gauge accuracy and checking compression again before getting too excited about whether shims or different pushrods might be needed
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimscorpsewhale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 6:29pm
Well I checked the gauge against my air compressor and it was close. At worst it’s a slight underestimate.

Dry I’m getting close to 80 in all of the cylinders except #8 this time. Not sure it read 85 last time and this time it was like 100.

After the oil they all get over 100 except #4 is at 90. Most get close to 110.

Not sure how to square it in my head. When i drove it seemed to have decent midrange power and it started right up....

Anything else I need to check?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2021 at 8:18pm
How did the cylinder walls look when you had the heads off?  Were they scored or pitted?

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 3456>
  Share Topic