Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor for 1980 351w

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gmars70970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor for 1980 351w
    Posted: January-30-2021 at 6:01pm
I'm needing a replacement distributor for my 1980 ski nautique with 351w fitted.

Long story but the distributor was fried today, smoking and now no spark.

The casing is stamped :

PRESTOLITE
D3JL-J2100-B
9F4
IBM 7008AS 6M

MARINE
SAE J1171

I'm out my depth with electrics & whats a compatible part.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graeme
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2021 at 7:05pm
Graeme,
I know Ken will be along to confirm or not but I think what you need is the Pertronix 91589 to replace the Prestolite. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2021 at 7:58pm
Check EBay.  There's been a company for the past couple years that has had NOS Prestolite distributors for sale for $69 shipped.  Great item.  We''ve bought a few of them.  You will have to switch gears if yours is a RH.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2021 at 8:37pm
As I'm a big fan of DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) distributors, I recommend a reverse-rotation unit for your 1980 application.  Outstanding dizzy and easy to install.  You won't need an external coil as the DUI has an integrated high energy coil.  Don't know if Summit Racing ships to Scotland...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-m35820rrbl

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 4:17am
Thanks folks 👍

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to replace this part just now. The engine is in my garage & not in the boat yet so really want to get it fired up before i install it. Due to covid moneys a bit tight right now 😥

Would something like the link below be what im looking for rather than a full distributor?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-8-Cyl-Chevrolet-Marine-w-Prestolite-Distributor-/323789839006?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by gmars70970 gmars70970 wrote:

I'm needing a replacement distributor for my 1980 ski nautique with 351w fitted.

Long story but the distributor was fried today, smoking and now no spark.

The casing is stamped :

PRESTOLITE
D3JL-J2100-B
9F4
IBM 7008AS 6M

MARINE
SAE J1171

I'm out my depth with electrics & whats a compatible part.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graeme

How about a good picture of what's under the distributor cap?

You have a Prestolite clip down cap distributor but a picture would tell if it's got an electronic module and what kind it is, or a set of points.

This picture from somewhere else probably looks a whole lot like your engine and your motorcycles too.Wink

Then with the picture, the cheapest easiest route could be taken to at least get the engine running.

The distributor is probably fine and doesn't need replacing, just whatever smoked inside of it like an electronic module or maybe a condenser if it has points.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 6:23am

Thanks folks 👍

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to replace this part just now. The engine is in my garage & not in the boat yet so really want to get it fired up before i install it. Due to covid moneys a bit tight right now 😥

Would something like the link below be what im looking for rather than a full distributor?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-8-Cyl-Chevrolet-Marine-w-Prestolite-Distributor-/323789839006?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

The Hot Spark setup in your link would work if you have the original points plate to mount it too. If you have any other electronic conversion other than a Hot Spark under there, the points plate gets removed (and maybe thrown away) and then replaced by a new plate with the module attached.

If you have points under there you'd be all set because the Hot Spark mounts on the original plate using the points mounting post and the hole for the condenser hold down screw

So..........a picture would answer lots of questions Wink

This other picture of your engine (from that same other place) shows the ballast resistor on the back with all the wires on one post bypassing the resistor meaning you should find an electronic conversion of one brand or another under the cap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 7:15am
Keno you are THE man !!

There was km's of wiring not connected to anything at either end, so the previous owner has been a right butcher with the electrics.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 7:41am
Well...........it looks like somebody installed a Prestolite electronic setup at some point in time.

That little 8 legged reluctor wheel on the advance limiter pretty much limits you to getting either a Pertronix 1589 or 91589 module like Pete mentioned in the quote below

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Graeme,
I know Ken will be along to confirm or not but I think what you need is the Pertronix 91589 to replace the Prestolite. 

The 1589 is 120 ish US bucks and the 91589 is 150 ish.

The extra money among other things for the 91589 gets you circuitry that won't fry the module if you accidentally leave it energized without the engine running probably making it worth the extra money.

But this all leads to a situation called WWPD

That means "What would Pete do" Wink

You could buy the EBAY Prestolite, and a new screwdown cap and rotor for it and swap your gear from your present distributor on to the new one for less than the price of the module

If the distributor is in good shape, it's easier to get the new module, but it makes me wonder WWPD.

You can't use the Hot Spark unit unless you have the original advance limiter with a points cam on it instead of the reluctor wheel and you'd need an original points plate too.

The 1589 and 91589 kit has a magnet ring that fits right over the 8 legged wheel so that the conversion is pretty easy, and your present cap and rotor can be used.

So Pete, since I know you'll read this  WWPD Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 8:13am
I'm gonna guess that since he has the same Prestolite module, when that day comes, Pete would rummage around a little bit and whip out his spare advance limiter and points plate and swap back to points and smile.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 11:17am
Here's another idea

You could buy the EBAY distributor in the link below and swap the points setup complete with the points plate and the advance limiter with the correct points cam into your present distributor and use your present cap and rotor.

Cheap, takes a little work but will all swap in and work just fine 

The hardest part is removing and installing the little clip that holds the advance plate/points cam in place. You might add a new cuss word or 2 to your vocabulary dealing with that little clip Wink

Then after the boat is together and running, you can decide whether you want to go electronic (conversion kit or a whole distributor) or stay with the points

I don't have a clue what shipping to Scotland would cost.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2021 at 10:24pm
Amazing, thanks guys.

Ive e-mailed Pertronix Europe for the cost of part No 91589

Hopefully i can get it delivered this week from a uk warehouse 🤞

I'm going to slowly start to replace the wiring also, starting with the battery leads asap.

Thanks again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 11:29am
I received this e-mail from PerTronix Europe today.

Does this sound about right? works out at approx £344 ( $470)

Just checked I can get it from summitracing & shipped for £135 ($186)

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 12:12pm
Graeme, 
These guys may have old parts laying around... I see they have mallory conversion kits I don't know if it can be made to work on your Dizzy others may know?... 
https://www.realsteel.co.uk  copy link can't get it to work.

Off the Ford 351 page

Replaces the points, converting the distributor to a maintenance free, breakerless electronic ignition system. Better starting & performance. BY61002M Ford single point distrib 57-74 £108.02 BY61004M For Mallory non vac, YL/HP 25 & 26 series dual point distrib, with std, stack style cap £109.49

Good luck with it
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 12:18pm
Cheers for that.

Bought engine parts from Real Steel previously. Problem here was I didn't have a clue what i was needing Embarrassed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 12:29pm
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 12:39pm
Graeme, give them a call... its pot luck if you get a helpful guy or I need the part number guy.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 4:23pm
Just random...I think when my flying starts back up to the UK and the EU, I'll start posting for those that need parts, fill up my Pelican case, and set you fine chaps up!

Smile

MS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Just random...I think when my flying starts back up to the UK and the EU, I'll start posting for those that need parts, fill up my Pelican case, and set you fine chaps up!

Smile

MS

You dont realise just how happy you could make so many people !
You bring them over, i'll distribute them.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 5:08pm
Neither of the conversions in the quote below will fit your Prestolite distributor.

I think I'm speechless on that European Pertronix price unless a whole big part of it is for overnight shipping Wink

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 5:39pm
Thanks Ken looking into the Mallory kit ...
Graeme look on Midlands Nautque site parts ... not sure if it will fit/work on yours
Ken may know

Breakerless Ignition Kit For Prestolite Distributors With Screw Down Cap (1987 On Nautiques With Distributors)
£182.42

2 in stock (can be backordered)

Breakerless Ignition Kit For Prestolite Distributors With Screw Down Cap (1987 On Nautiques With Distributors) quantity
ADD TO BASKET
SKU
M-36
Categories
Engine Parts, Distributor Caps & Distributors
Tag
breakerless-ignition-kit-for-prestolite-distributors
DESCRIPTION
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 5:57pm

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Smile

MS

You dont realise just how happy you could make so many people !
You bring them over, i'll distribute them.

Sounds good. We primarily do London in the UK. We also have offices in Geneva. I typically would get enough heads-up on a trip to make it work in terms of sourcing the components here. We can discuss off line. Shoot me a PM with your email and we'll go from there. 

Thanks,

Mark
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Thanks Ken looking into the Mallory kit ...
Graeme look on Midlands Nautque site parts ... not sure if it will fit/work on yours
Ken may know

Breakerless Ignition Kit For Prestolite Distributors With Screw Down Cap (1987 On Nautiques With Distributors)
£182.42

2 in stock (can be backordered)

Breakerless Ignition Kit For Prestolite Distributors With Screw Down Cap (1987 On Nautiques With Distributors) quantity
ADD TO BASKET
SKU
M-36
Categories
Engine Parts, Distributor Caps & Distributors
Tag
breakerless-ignition-kit-for-prestolite-distributors
DESCRIPTION

That won't work either

That kit is for a 87 and later Prestolite with a screwdown cap and originally equipped with points, so it has a magnet ring that fits over the points cam.

Here's a breakdown that should explain what fits what as far as Pertronix kits Wink

Pertronix kit numbers for Prestolite V8 marine distributors

1581 and 91581  these kits fit the clip down cap distributors used up through 1986 that have points. The magnet ring fits over the points cam

1582 and 91582  these kits fit the screw down cap distributors used from 1987 on that have points. The magnet ring fits over the points cam

1589 and 91589  these kits fit the electronic Prestolite distributor (which has a screw down cap) used from about 1993 on and also fit the clip down and screwdown cap distributors from earlier years IF they were previously converted to the Prestolite electronic kit which had the 8 legged reluctor wheel instead of a points cam. The 8 legged reluctor takes a totally different magnetic ring to fit over the 8 legged reluctor.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2021 at 4:52am
[That won't work either

That kit is for a 87 and later Prestolite with a screwdown cap and originally equipped with points, so it has a magnet ring that fits over the points cam.

Here's a breakdown that should explain what fits what as far as Pertronix kits Wink

Pertronix kit numbers for Prestolite V8 marine distributors

1581 and 91581  these kits fit the clip down cap distributors used up through 1986 that have points. The magnet ring fits over the points cam

1582 and 91582  these kits fit the screw down cap distributors used from 1987 on that have points. The magnet ring fits over the points cam

1589 and 91589  these kits fit the electronic Prestolite distributor (which has a screw down cap) used from about 1993 on and also fit the clip down and screwdown cap distributors from earlier years IF they were previously converted to the Prestolite electronic kit which had the 8 legged reluctor wheel instead of a points cam. The 8 legged reluctor takes a totally different magnetic ring to fit over the 8 legged reluctor.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your Knowledge  Ken  Thumbs Up

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2021 at 5:35pm
Graeme ... just scanned uk ebay these popped up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Windsor-351-Distributor/265036456500?hash=item3db5676234:g:rlIAAOSwn31e9hAz Old school points cost less to fix up
Or this old one of your type taking a chance it ok ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Windsor-351-Black-distributor/265036448504?hash=item3db56742f8:g:3JQAAOSwb~Ve9g5g
Both are at a midland marine look like take off's
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmars70970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 3:19pm
I would just like to say a MASSIVE public thank you to Keno !!!

Ken has went above & beyond for somebody he doesn't even know by shipping the parts i was looking for all the way from the USA to Scotland !
I received the parts today and hopefully i'll get them built up this weekend.

This forum continues to deliver Clap
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 6:21pm
Aw shucks

Pete sent me a message by mental telepathy (or maybe it was in a dream) suggesting that I send you the parts. Wink

I'd just call it the "Make Pete proud and convert your electronic Prestolite back to points kit"

You can get it running on points and then convert to electronic with the Hot Spark kit you mentioned earlier for a lot less money if you decide to go electronic. I think the Hot Spark is pretty readily available over there.

By the way, for anybody shipping a small package to the UK, the USPS was just plain awesome.

They did lie about one thing though.........they told me it would take 3 weeks to a month from the East Coast sending it First Class which was the best, most reasonable price and it made it through Customs and arrived at Graeme's  9 days after I sent it.

Nothing to complain about with their service on this one.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2021 at 5:26am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Aw shucks

Pete sent me a message by mental telepathy (or maybe it was in a dream) suggesting that I send you the parts. Wink

I'd just call it the "Make Pete proud and convert your electronic Prestolite back to points kit"

You can get it running on points and then convert to electronic with the Hot Spark kit you mentioned earlier for a lot less money if you decide to go electronic. I think the Hot Spark is pretty readily available over there.

By the way, for anybody shipping a small package to the UK, the USPS was just plain awesome.

They did lie about one thing though.........they told me it would take 3 weeks to a month from the East Coast sending it First Class which was the best, most reasonable price and it made it through Customs and arrived at Graeme's  9 days after I sent it.

Nothing to complain about with their service on this one.
Super Cool Keno... Thanks for helping Graeme out Clap 
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2021 at 7:54am
You European guys probably know about this , but I figured I'd post it just in case. Probably keeps your shipping costs down Wink

Here's the European version of Hot Spark, the 3PRE8U4 kit fits Marine Prestolites that have points in them

link
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2021 at 8:34am
Thanks Keno... I have not seen this before for Prestolites Clap I'm a little better on our quality Lucas stuff...Cry
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic