Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electric motors near fuel tank

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric motors near fuel tank
    Posted: January-28-2021 at 5:05am
I have four Jabsco Ballast Puppy pumps installed in my boat, feeding ballast tanks. Yes, we wakeboard and (gasp) wakesurf behind my 2001.

The pumps are currently mounted in the bilge near the shaft log. They get too wet there, and hence have started failing from corrosion. I need to move them to a drier (above floor level) location. The space behind the rear seat is a possibility. Is the possibility of the pumps' motors causing sparks something to be concerned about in a location right by the fuel tank? The motor housings fully enclose the motors, but they dont seal absolutely watertight (hence the corrosion problem).
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 5:55am
 Provided that your tank doesn't have any leaks of any sort including the vent line then you should be good to go. It's not the raw fuel that will cause the explosion but the vapor from it. I've seen some boats actually have the bilge blower mounted above the tank. Pretty sure the ballast tank pumps in the newer model boats are located around the fuel tanks and probably right beside it. I think you'll be fine.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 5:59am
Good point about the bilge blower location - that is exactly the factory location where mine is!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 6:05am
And for a little more reassurance that you'll be OK, find the model number of your pump and look up the info, looking for those magic words that say  "ignition protected motor" like in the picture in the link below

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

The pumps are currently mounted in the bilge near the shaft log. They get too wet there, and hence have started failing from corrosion. I need to move them to a drier (above floor level) location. .

Wilhelm,
I suspect the NPSH (the ability to suck water vertically) is low and the reason the pumps are located below the waterline. So, do check with the manufacturer to see if they can be moved up and what would happen with their pumping ability. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 6:40am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The pumps are currently mounted in the bilge near the shaft log. They get too wet there, and hence have started failing from corrosion. I need to move them to a drier (above floor level) location. .

Wilhelm,
I suspect the NPSH (the ability to suck water vertically) is low and the reason the pumps are located below the waterline. So, do check with the manufacturer to see if they can be moved up and what would happen with their pumping ability. 

A little light reading in the link below about Jabsco self priming flexible impeller pumps or pretty much any other flexible impeller pump like the Raw Water Pump on your boat that self primes just fine from above the floor (sole for you Pete Wink) level as long as you don't have any suction line air leaks.

Plenty of them installed at floor level in peoples ballast systems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=Wilhelm Hertzog]
do check with the manufacturer to see if they can be moved up and what would happen with their pumping ability. 

Thanks Pete and Ken. I have checked with the manufacturer (Xylem) and according to them the pumps will prime up to a height of three feet, so mounting a foot or two above the floor/sole should be fine.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 7:07am

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

[QUOTE=Wilhelm Hertzog]
do check with the manufacturer to see if they can be moved up and what would happen with their pumping ability. 

Thanks Pete and Ken. I have checked with the manufacturer (Xylem) and according to them the pumps will prime up to a height of three feet, so mounting a foot or two above the floor/sole should be fine.

I should have been clearer on "pumping ability". Yes they will work at a height of 3 feet above the water but, the GPM will go down. The worst is it will take longer to fill the ballast tank(s). 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 7:19am

The worst is it will take longer to fill the ballast tank(s). 

Hmm. Maybe a watertight enclosure in their current location is a better solution. Could be tricky to get something watertight with hoses and wires going in and out. Will have to do some research on the feasibility of this. 
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 7:59pm
     I agree with what Mr. Morfoot said above.  Several years ago, CC did put the bilge blower above the tank.  As long as the pump motors are of the "Totally Enclosed" type it means that any spark inside the motor housing cannot escape the closed area and cause a vapor explosion.  Just make sure  that all of your wiring is done properly with no chance of a short or sparking from a poor connection. 
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2021 at 4:59pm
Just to wrap this thread up: I did move the pumps up and to the back of the boat, by the fuel tank. So far everything's working well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic