NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airguide GPS conversion

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airguide GPS conversion
    Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:08pm
I became aware that some old Airguide speedos can be fitted with a GPS receiver. I searched the forums and found this has not been discussed yet. Tim apparently has some information on the conversion so I am posting so others can learn or chime in. It would be nice to eliminate the pitot and tubes and have accurate reedings.
Thanks
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:09pm
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

The MOI says:

They show my Supra gauges in the link. I should probably look into those as well. 
I have a restored 1969 Airguide for the Mustang. It doesn't look compatible with that.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:53pm
I’ve converted the later chrome case Airguides (725) and those are no issue. I’ve had plenty of the early style (with pedestals) apart and can’t think of any reason offhand why they couldn’t be done without any extra difficulty. I’m sure it’s possible, in any case. I think my plate is full for this off season but if you run into issues, I can try to assist. No shortage of parts on hand.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I’ve converted the later chrome case Airguides (725) and those are no issue. I’ve had plenty of the early style (with pedestals) apart and can’t think of any reason offhand why they couldn’t be done without any extra difficulty. I’m sure it’s possible, in any case. I think my plate is full for this off season but if you run into issues, I can try to assist. No shortage of parts on hand.

Is this a 725?

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 10:42pm
That one might be an early version of a 725.  It is a 0-50 which the 725 is.  I still have an original box for the ones on my old Skier and those 725's, from 1980 or so, were black. Here is a pic.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

That one might be an early version of a 725.  It is a 0-50 which the 725 is.  I still have an original box for the ones on my old Skier and those 725's, from 1980 or so, were black. Here is a pic.

I recall Dale Kocian having a hard time finding an NOS face for mine to replace a faded one. He said it was an uncommon face, but original to the speedo.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 6:43am
No, yours is not a 725. Some interchangeable parts though- including the housing. Internal mechanism and mounting are a little different. It can be made to work, in any case.

I wouldn’t call yours odd, just an early 3.5” airguide- the standard from the late 60’s. The white faced (712b?) was more common 71-77, and the black faced 725 more common 78-84.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic