Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recs for Restoration of 1971 Mustang?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recs for Restoration of 1971 Mustang?
    Posted: January-25-2021 at 10:21pm
Hello, all. Our family has owned a 1971 Mustang with the Holman Moody 302 since it was new. My grandparents actually purchased it new back then.

Anyhow, our family would like to spend some money on this boat to get it back to “original, showroom condition”.

It currently resides in a garage at my mom’s place in SC (I’m currently living in Chattanooga, TN).

Can anyone give me some recommendations on companies out there who are capable of doing this? It would mean alot to everyone in this family to get this boat fully restored. Thank you!
1971 Correct Craft
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 2:06am
Welcome. What kind of condition is it in
Can you try a load some pictures
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 11:18am
Boat ran great the last time we had it out on the water, but the water pump went out and filled up the bilge with water and had to pull it out.  We never fixed the water pump and it's been sitting in the garage ever since (it happened about 10 years ago or so).  I'm trying to find other pictures but this is the only one I have right now.

1971 Correct Craft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 11:49am
Well first off, that’s not a 71... that’s a late 1gen Mustang (likely 69-70) and someone added a square windshield from a newer boat. If you can grab the hull number off the plate next to the throttle, that would help us confirm the timeframe it was built.

That said, welcome! Most here are do-it-yourself’ers, I can’t say I’ve seen any proper “professional” restoration work done on these boats. Most seem to miss the mark in terms of quality or originality (or both). Maybe others here know differently...
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by repieces repieces wrote:

Boat ran great the last time we had it out on the water, but the water pump went out and filled up the bilge with water and had to pull it out.  We never fixed the water pump and it's been sitting in the garage ever since (it happened about 10 years ago or so). ......

Hi Matt, can't wait to see more pictures. I'd imagine the boat is in pretty good shape having been garage stored all these years.

With that said, you'll need to elaborate on the 'water pump going out'. Only a couple things will fill a bilge with water...a forgotten drain plug, or a broken water hose.

If you're reasonably handy, if the motor is good, not much to get back on the water:

Pull the impeller, and replace it with a new one. If it is intact, that's good. If not, and pieces are missing, you'll need to investigate. 

I'd change the belt and all the hoses, drain the fuel and fuel lines, change the filters and fluids. And put a new t-stat in.

Pulling the plugs and squirting in some lube in the cyls won't hurt. Turn the motor over by hand to make sure it is not seized up.

That is the bulk of it. Other things to be addressed due to age are the rudder and shaft goretex packings, and general tune-up stuff, like plugs, wires, etc... Once it's running you can troubleshoot any seals that might need changed that won't be apparent initially.

Run down to SC and grab it and get back to us.

I bought an old ski boat a number of years ago from a family friend. He had parked the boat after a severe foot injury sustained in a car accident and could no longer ski competitively. He had bought the boat new from the factory. When I got the boat it had been siting for 15 years. I did all of the above and it ran like new.

Here is the engine pic the day I hauled it home. 

repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Well first off, that’s not a 71... that’s a late 1gen Mustang (likely 69-70) and someone added a square windshield from a newer boat. If you can grab the hull number off the plate next to the throttle, that would help us confirm the timeframe it was built.

That said, welcome! Most here are do-it-yourself’ers, I can’t say I’ve seen any proper “professional” restoration work done on these boats. Most seem to miss the mark in terms of quality or originality (or both). Maybe others here know differently...

Here's the plate next to the throttle...
1971 Correct Craft
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Boat ran great the last time we had it out on the water, but the water pump went out and filled up the bilge with water and had to pull it out.  We never fixed the water pump and it's been sitting in the garage ever since (it happened about 10 years ago or so). ......

Hi Matt, can't wait to see more pictures. I'd imagine the boat is in pretty good shape having been garage stored all these years.

With that said, you'll need to elaborate on the 'water pump going out'. Only a couple things will fill a bilge with water...a forgotten drain plug, or a broken water hose.

If you're reasonably handy, if the motor is good, not much to get back on the water:

Pull the impeller, and replace it with a new one. If it is intact, that's good. If not, and pieces are missing, you'll need to investigate. 

I'd change the belt and all the hoses, drain the fuel and fuel lines, change the filters and fluids. And put a new t-stat in.

Pulling the plugs and squirting in some lube in the cyls won't hurt. Turn the motor over by hand to make sure it is not seized up.

That is the bulk of it. Other things to be addressed due to age are the rudder and shaft goretex packings, and general tune-up stuff, like plugs, wires, etc... Once it's running you can troubleshoot any seals that might need changed that won't be apparent initially.

Run down to SC and grab it and get back to us.

I bought an old ski boat a number of years ago from a family friend. He had parked the boat after a severe foot injury sustained in a car accident and could no longer ski competitively. He had bought the boat new from the factory. When I got the boat it had been siting for 15 years. I did all of the above and it ran like new.

Here is the engine pic the day I hauled it home. 

Hey, something went wrong with the pump and as the boat was running, water was spewing out from around the pump.  Not sure what happened, but we looked at the hoses and they all seemed ok.  We had issues with the pump before and some "mechanic" rigged it up and it was just shoddy work.  We're not looking for someone to get the boat running and throw it back in the water, we actually want to spend some $$$ on this thing and do a full-blown restoration.  Wasn't sure if there was a common company people mentioned on here that does something like that.
1971 Correct Craft
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 4:24pm
Oh, and here's another pic of it...

1971 Correct Craft
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 5:31pm
2854 makes it a ‘70 for sure... likely a late one (probably built in the early spring of 1970 if I had to guess).
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 5:57pm
Heh,No seats?

Nice boat!
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Heh,No seats?

Nice boat!

Haha, yeah man it has all seats, and they’re all in pretty darn good shape. We just have a habit of sitting on the side. Thanks for the compliment!
1971 Correct Craft
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

2854 makes it a ‘70 for sure... likely a late one (probably built in the early spring of 1970 if I had to guess).

How can I confirm this? Contact Correct Craft directly?

As for the windshield, it has been like this since I can remember (I was born in ‘82) and there is zero signs on the fiberglass/dash that show a different windshield was ever in place (such as a curved windshield).
1971 Correct Craft
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 10:24pm
And talking to my dad about it, he’s been around the boat since it was new and assured me the windshield you see in the photos is how it came from the factory.
1971 Correct Craft
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2021 at 11:12pm
I’m thinking your family could just cleanup (refurbish) yourself if it is in good condition
Take the pump off service or get new
And start skiing
repieces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repieces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

I’m thinking your family could just cleanup (refurbish) yourself if it is in good condition
And start skiing

We don’t have the time to do this. I’m in TN, my parents are split and the boat just sits in the garage at my mom’s (it won’t fit in my garage here at my house). We’re looking for someone to do more than just clean it up.
1971 Correct Craft
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 1:27pm

Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

And start skiing

We don’t have the time to do this. I’m in TN, my parents are split and the boat just sits in the garage at my mom’s (it won’t fit in my garage here at my house). We’re looking for someone to do more than just clean it up.

Ok, so, I'm a bit fuzzy here. When someone indicates they want a 'full blown restoration', that says to me that boat is trashed, as in, stringers are shot, the interior is trashed, gelcoat in such poor shape it is in need of a complete wet-sand and polish, significant engine work, and so on. Take a look at the thread 

But that does not sound like what you have here. It sounds as if you have a VERY well preserved, garage-kept boat, that likely needs a new impeller and gasket on the water pump, and a few other small things to do on the engine, and you're ready for the water. 

What is it exactly that you want done to the boat, or, what is your impression of its condition to lead you to believe it is need of a full restoration?

I am sure there are more than a few members on here in relatively close proximity to the boat, to go have a look. And I would reach out here and simply ask. It will be the best way to ascertain the condition of this boat, and you can then go from there.

Given you don't have space for this boat, what is your plan for it once it is water-ready?

Mark

ps. if you want to see what a full restoration looks like, browse here: 

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 3:55pm
I’d be happy to talk with you about it. I’m in Winston Salem, NC. Feel free to pm me.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic