Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where do you hook your ropes to?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where do you hook your ropes to?
    Posted: January-22-2021 at 11:54am
Ok, towing 2 tubes with a crowded boat. tubes have 2 riders each....

cant hook it to the factory ski pylon because the back ouch is being occupied by 3 people. 

not supposed to hook it to he flight control tower because of the weight. 

not supposed to hook it to the rear boat lift 

what do I do? 

lol
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 12:06pm
Well you bought a sports car when what you really needed was a minivan. Time to trade in for a pontoon. Obnoxioustubefan.com
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 1:52pm
I think a Bayliner deck boat would be more appropriate.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Well you bought a sports car when what you really needed was a minivan. Time to trade in for a pontoon. Obnoxioustubefan.com
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I think a Bayliner deck boat would be more appropriate.

Clap Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 5:48pm
If I were you? My neck.

Get new friends and family
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

Ok, towing 2 tubes with a crowded boat. tubes have 2 riders each....

cant hook it to the factory ski pylon because the back ouch is being occupied by 3 people. 

not supposed to hook it to he flight control tower because of the weight. 

not supposed to hook it to the rear boat lift 

what do I do? 

lol

Mr Heath

You ask a perfectly logical question and all you get is a bunch of grief, but don't worry there's a solution 

if you were to search thru the annals of CCF history, you might come up with a quote like what's below from an old thread about lifting rings.

I'd have to call it "the Pete endorsed way to use the lifting ring to pull tubers"

What more needs to be said? Wink

Well, maybe you should put a shock tube over the rope(s) between the pylon and the round thing at the back of the boat for some extra safety for those back seat passengers

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tom, You must have totally missed Alan's (magicman) method and fantastic solution to this problem of having people in the rear seat while pullig tubers or skiers. Put the rope through the rear lifting ring but attach it to the pylon. Now all of the pull to the rear will be to the pylon with some side to side pull on the lifting ring.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 7:56pm
Is there a structural change from the rear pylon to the rear lift ring? My SN has the rear pylon. Not that I'm offering it for loan;-)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2021 at 9:37pm
My SS has the rear tow point but the lift rings are down by the platform. This is the decal that's by the tow point-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 7:31am
I feel I must ask, your profile signature says you have a 2000 Pro Air Nautique. Does it not have a tow point behind the rear seat?
'92 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 7:58am
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

I feel I must ask, your profile signature says you have a 2000 Pro Air Nautique. Does it not have a tow point behind the rear seat?

If the lettering on the side of the boat said Super Air Nautique, he'd have that tow point. Wink

Pictures in 2000 brochure in link 

cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 8:05am
Unfortunately I can’t get a picture to post, but the Air/Pro Air/Sport of that era has a warning decal on the transom referencing a rear tow point, but there is not a formal pylon back there, just a grab handle for using to climb on the platform. 

I asked the same question last year about using the handle since the sticker seems to reference using it as a tow point and the consensus seemed to be not using it. I have found that running tube ropes through the rear lifting eye and then attaching them up at the pylon is a good option. Keeps the rope stationary for those in the back seat, but it will pull the rear of the boat around a bit. 

Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 11:51am
Tough crowd...

C_Heath:  as you have probably surmised, there is not a lot of love on CCF for tubes and towables.  I "get that" as I'm a water skier.  Tubes frequently tear-up the water and ruin the waterskiing for those who want to ski.  As a general rule, my boat is allergic to tubes.  However, I do make exceptions...particularly when one of my little grand-daughters says: "Papa...tube?"  Yes, they will all be taught to waterski, but for now they love the tube.  For those rare instances, my open-bow Ski Nautique will pull a tube.

The rear lifting ring on my SN has the same decal as shown above.  As such, any towing activity (ski, tube, etc.) will not exceed the force exerted to what I deem to be equivalent to 2 skiers.  As for pulling a tube from the ski pylon, my personal opinion is "don't do it".  I witnessed a bent pylon on a direct-drive boat that was the result of an over-zealous tube experience.

If I had a "gun-to-the-head" desire to pull a fully-loaded tube, I may consider attaching a dedicated tow-point to the transom and anchoring that tow-point with a good-sized metal backing plate that has been fiber-glassed to the inside of the transom.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 9:13am
thanks for the nice replies lol. I will agree that tubes mess up the water but not nearly as bad as the boats with 4000 pounds of weight for surfing which is probably what all those dudes that posted have lol. I just chalk it up to them having little mans disease for making douche posts like that. Its all good. 
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 9:34am
If you’re implying “those dudes that posted” with 4000 lb tharf boats are here on CCF you’re out to lunch.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If you’re implying “those dudes that posted” with 4000 lb tharf boats are here on CCF you’re out to lunch.

A moderator that implies that a member should "get new friends and family" is out to lunch as well. Tie the rope around "my neck?" really?
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 10:14am
These guys specialize in the 60s, 70s and 80 proper inboard tow boats. Some hardcore barefooters
And they joke, snark, and challenge. Can be hard for new folks to blend in
I really think Hollywood was playing with friends and family comments
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 10:43am

thanks for the nice replies lol. I will agree that tubes mess up the water but not nearly as bad as the boats with 4000 pounds of weight for surfing which is probably what all those dudes that posted have lol. I just chalk it up to them having little mans disease for making douche posts like that. Its all good. 

Chris,
Aside from what does or does not chop up the water, as Gary mentioned early on, you have the wrong boat for what you are doing. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 11:07am
I’ll chime back in on a question I asked earlier in the thread: given that either the lift ring or tow pylon could be spec’d for the transom, do both of these options use the same threaded rod and structure, coming up from below? Unscrew lift ring, thread on tow ring. It can’t be that simple?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 11:16am

A moderator that implies that a member should "get new friends and family" is out to lunch as well. Tie the rope around "my neck?" really?

You'd have to know the history behind the comment. The VAST majority of us here on CCFan are Footers, Swirvers and Trickers. Some even wakeboard but not very many and a handful surf. The majority of CCFans are competition SKI Boat owners. The Boarders and Surfers are over on Planet Nautique. The word Tube when used in conjunction with Ski Nautique is the equivalent to calling your spouse the "C' word. 

You will find no diehard skier but mainly footer than Hollywood. He is a show skier by trade and quite the character if you ever meet him. We have several of those around here. You're new here so don't take the comment too personal. You gotta have tough skin around here as the comments and bashing fly off the keyboard quicker than you can blink especially when it comes to Tubbing. We all hate them and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT PROMOTE it.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 11:23am
I would pull kids all the time from my Flightpipe extended pylon.  Never had a problem.  I wouldn't hesitate to do the same from the tower just don't get too crazy.

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 11:39am
People on CCF are sometimes overly harsh towards tubes.  But, as a member (05210) once pointed out in the past,  if that is all that will get a kid out behind the boat, they're going to tie a tube behind their Correct Craft and rightly so. 
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 1:27pm
Yikes! Thin skin alert.

I’m so sorry that you’re not finding this forum helpful.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 1:46pm

Yikes! Thin skin alert.

I’m so sorry that you’re not finding this forum helpful.

Its been more helpful than you can ever imagine. Most guys  arent douches though.  Thats why I donated to Keith when the site got hacked because I sure am thankful for people like @Keno and @keith 
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

People on CCF are sometimes overly harsh towards tubes.  But, as a member once pointed out in the past,  if that is all that will get a kid out behind the boat, they're going to tie a tube behind their Correct Craft and rightly so. 

100% correct. Thanks 
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 2:01pm
We all remember the time Hollywood got suspended from the pyramid act because his skirt was too short. The children are scared forever
And KENO he has his own snarky thread, check it out. Fun for all
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 2:42pm
No doubt there is some resentment about boat owners that go out and ruin great Water Ski water by running tubes in figure 8 patterns or running the obese wakeboard boats pushing 4-5 foot wakes for surfing or big air jumps on wake boards.  The two don't co habitate well and the boats are designed for totally different work.
Our lake used to be a fantastic ski lake, now I have to wait till I can get a shot between the monster boat wakes. You can't even boat at ski speeds because those monster wakes would beat the crew senseless hitting those wakes at ski speed.   Those are the realities but we all co habitate and they have a right to play just like we do.
When I was young it was the fishermen hating us water skiers because we disturbed their quiet fish time.  I have had Whiskey bottles thrown at me as I passed fishing boats while skiing.   Now it is small wakes vs large wakes.
Should we get into the large stereo's vs the small stereos.   Man I love being on the beach with the grandchildren when some bozo in his 23' wakeboard boat with about 6 speakers on the tower starts blasting his RAP songs screaming about Bitc*s and all the things he wants them doing with every description including the F word time after time.   That boat is usually about a 1/4 mile away and it is so loud on our beach spot that we can't hear anything other than that.  Great example for a family outing.   
I know there is no law against it but that is abusing every other person out there when they do that and how do you say that is OK to grandchildren.  That behavior is just plain wrong.

OK, I ranted, on this forum you have premium quality advice, much of it from people who have done the work and share every detail for you to do the same work right the first time.  Invaluable information.   On This forum, unlike many other forums out there, RESPECT keeps away name calling which never solves a problem.   There is a lot of teasing,  99% of it is very good natured or meant to be.  
Yes, I have tubed, Surfed, Barefooted, Wake boarded enough so my kids did not call me a sissy but I never liked it, we built 3, 5 and 7 man pyramids on the local river.  I admit I was never good enough to one foot barefoot or flip around to back barefoot just an average Joe but I still love to ski and that is getting very hard to find smooth water for.   So that is where the snarky words come from about tubing, surfing and wake boarding which dominate the new generation.  Friendly insults just tell you we are old generation but still like to play.

My 1978 Ski Nautique had the rear lifting eye that was connected to the floor with a threaded rod.  That held up to some very hard tubing and even some hard skiing done from the rear because the boat was loaded with people.  It worked but I had small spider stress cracks all around that lifting eye.  If I had a do over I think I would go under the eye and reinforce it to spread out the load.  Maybe fiberglass in a strong plate to beef it up.  I pulled a large truck tube a lot, never more than 2 people on it and it cracked my boats gel.  Never thought to move the load up to the center mount with the rope running though the lifting eye.  That might have worked.  I was 26 years old back then so having fun was more important than possibly doing damage.

Keep it clean, get your boat fixed and enjoy life.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 5:36pm
Mr heath

Like Mr McD and others have said, enjoy your boat

It's your boat, use it the way you want to

And tell all those thin skinned haters that they can take their opinion and insert it somewhere where the sun don't shine. They should be able to handle it.

The manly way of course..........no lube, otherwise an argument about lube oil will break out.

I'm not sure, maybe I just said it for you Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic