NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time for a heater...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a heater...
    Posted: January-21-2021 at 7:13pm
Couple of questions:

On my '96 SN, I was thinking the Heatercraft 230 unit (Sport Kit, add the Y-adapter). 

Thoughts and comments?

Thanks,

Mark

'96 SN Signature GT-40
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 7:28pm
I think a 200 came in my boat, that's the 2 outlet model. Works great after I put the Y in. Without it there is no heat at slow speeds.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 7:35pm
Yep Gary, looking at the specs, same heater 200 vs. 230, with the latter having a third smaller port, I'm assuming for those that want a defroster.
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 1:14pm
You can make your own heater for under $100. Build a box then purchased a large heater core at a discount auto parts place and a fan you can buy the hoses and connectors also Dave
bigwavedave
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 3:54pm
Yup, made mine as well, very compact, and quiet, and inexspensive
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 4:11pm
Yeah, the thought did cross my mind to put one together from a heater core....easy enough project. Now I'm motivated :-)

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 5:48pm
I'll try to take a picture of mine, and also the ground-down street elbow on the circ pump, so one can route the water more like it is on an auto, and get excellent heat at idle by not continuously loose high proportion of heated block water out the exhaust water and cooler water replacing it, as happens with the y
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 6:33pm
FYI the key component of the heatercraft Y is the restriction on the return... which is how it retains good heat at idle. It’s fairly easy to make your own tee with a restriction.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 8:56am
Good to learn Tim!
My exposure to the tee must have been flawed or something else amiss

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Yup, made mine as well, very compact, and quiet, and in expensive

Hey Tom, I think I'll put one together. I'm plenty handy, have all the tools to put together a nice box and such. Do you have a particular source for the core and blower? 

thanks,

Mark
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 5:04pm
Certainly Mark,

If you don't see pictures tonight, I'll post them tomorrow, may be easier than from the phone.

I am still using the original blower since making my first heater in '87.
I think they still make the same brand, tmc! Just found it...

https://arnolds-boat-shop.shoplightspeed.com/tmc-bilge-blower-flange-mount-momentary-12v-90cfm.html

I am still using a core from an 80s fox mustang no air, because that's what I had available (used) at the time.
The first wrecking yard brass core lasted almost 25 years . The latest aluminum replacement I don't think will last very long, but they are inexpensive af.
It suits a two outlet system, one can search a larger core from something popular, newer. Best is short, uncomplicated outlets. if you desire three outlets go bigger. Most anything works!

In the last three years, I've added heater craft pullout tubes, they are reduced now, grab a couple!

https://www.bakesonline.com/heater-craft-h509b-1st-generation-pull-out-hot-tube.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0rSABhDlARIsAJtjfCd-t9WFrt_qFXn7fYLneZNKifDG_aFTxvVz84XpDEgEmkz8ZkdwHeoaAvM8EALw_wcB

The box is compact as possible, no more than 12x9x3 outside dimensions, but size the inside to your core of choice. A little foam and weatherstripping keeps all the air going through the core

You will see a couple pvc flanges for the 3" outlets I found at HD, with a portion cut off so both outlets can compactly fit side by side on the face of the box. Three outlets would be similar.

Engine side, I'll add a picture of each gazinta and gazouta

Winterizing, I shopvac extract water
from a hose at the engine then push some af forward. alternatively I've also connected the core with reversed garden hose connections, you can both bypass the core if it fails and keep going, and also bring the whole unit inside for the winter.

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 6:14pm
Thanks so much Tom. I’ll take a look at the links. And yes, my thoughts are a that a two outlet will be just fine.

Mark
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 6:18pm
Probably not as cheap as Tom’s but I’ve found these to be fairly reasonably priced and effective. Just add a heater tube and one flange for the drivers feet (plus the engine side stuff).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1

I’ve done the same as Tom with opposite sex quick connects on the engine supply/return. Mcmaster sells nice brass ones.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 8:46am
That system looks to be quite cost effective Tim!  much more so than marine-specific offerings!

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 8:55am

System tucked above footwell

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 8:59am
One tube slung from control cables, places outlet within easy reach to extend to your feet 

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:02am

Second pull-out tube at  observer base

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:07am

Outlet side of box

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:09am

Fan side

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:10am
The hose side of the box has a slotted top, a few screws hold it in place

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:13am

Intake - 3/8 npt to 1/2"npt reducing elbow , 1/2" npt 3/4" hose barb

River Rat to Mole
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:18am
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and pictures. I have some good economical options.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:19am

@Water pump

Return - 3/8" npt plug removed, 3/8 npt street elbow, 3/8 npt  5/8" hose barb

* the street barb is ground down for clearance

consider a 160 tstat

After last frosty September you should be in for a treat this season season
we use it all but the warmest mornings and evenings

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 9:25am
huh, looks like i hacked those pvc flanges down quite a bit with the saw 

River Rat to Mole
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

FYI the key component of the heatercraft Y is the restriction on the return... which is how it retains good heat at idle. It’s fairly easy to make your own tee with a restriction.

Tim,
I'm trying to understand why the restriction is needed on the return. What's happening at idle? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 1:08pm
I’d love a good explanation as I’ve never heard one myself. Without the restriction on the return, the heater will blow cool air at idle.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 5:00pm
When I bought my boat my heater feed was connected to a T at the intake like Tom's. The return went into the pipe plug drain of the U. No heat at idle. Put the Y in before the raw water pump. Hugh difference- originally was going to install their optional 12v pump Quinner told me to get the Y. The restriction consists of a 1/8 or 3/16 hole drilled into the 1" then a 5/8 braised over that hole on to the 1". I think it is the suction of the raw water pump that pulls the hot water through the system. That restriction might serve 2 purposes,it stops the hot water from being completly pulled out of the block and slows the flow down so the heat transfers to the heater core?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 5:25pm
Could this be Timmy Tee 2.0?  I hear Tim's fist Tee for winterization is almost through the patent office. Then the cost goes up. Embarrassed
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 6:02pm
I like your explanation Gary

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2021 at 6:24pm
I’ve never come up with a better theory either. Not sure there is a real concern with pulling too much warm water out of the block since you’re pushing it back in at the same rate (or better)... and it’s not like y-less set ups are prone to cooling system issues (just reduced heat at idle).

Having no real background with thermodynamics, my back of the napkin logic would have thought that moving hot water through the core more rapidly (before it has a chance to cool) would allow the most heat transfer. I would have guessed the reduction at the return would slow the flow though the core down and make it less effective at pulling heat out, but apparently that logic is flawed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic