Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invertaflow

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Invertaflow
    Posted: January-07-2021 at 6:45pm
I have my Invertaflow out of the boat. Something in it rattles around when I shake it, but doesn't travel far enough in any direction to be visible at the openings. I searched and, of course, in posts that refer to pictures of the inside of an invertaflow the photos are not visible. The descriptions of the tube baffle arrangement have me thinking that one baffle tube is loose. I am still a little unclear of the arrangement of the baffle tubes and where each is actually fixed in place. I have the skills and supplies to fix the muffler, but I want to make that as easy as possible. I am tempted to open up the muffler at the "bubble top", but I really have no idea how the inner tube is fixed in place. I would very much appreciate some enlightenment. I would prefer to keep the muffler. 94 Ski Nautique. 

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 7:49pm
I found a photo archived on Google. It appears the outer baffle tube is bonded at the top of the tube and is only friction fit at the bottom where the slots are cut out. The inner tube is bonded on the bottom at the exhaust exit. If I was going to repair the outer tube I would cut at the "bubble" on top to gain access. If I was bonding the inner tube I would cut around the bottom vent. I am going to try using a snake through the intake openings and see if I can get the outer baffle to move around. Other than that it appears to be a guess which tube is loose. Is one baffle tube more likely than the other to be loose? I assume the boat has back fired at some point. That hasn't been a problem I've had, but it is a 26 year old boat. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. 

nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 8:52pm
Okay... tried to get the snake cable stuck. It fed into a slot in the outer baffle. Felt like the outer baffle was not moving.  But I then had a bit of inspiration. Shook the muffler back and forth top to bottom. The piece that rattles has a distinct span of travel in that direction. Has to be the inner baffle tube which is cut short. Just can't see the outer baffle having that much play. Still not sure where I'll cut. Right at the exhaust joint or a bit wider. I'm guessing the inner tube and the exhaust tube are made in one piece, then bonded to the main muffler body. So maybe cut right along the joint at the main muffler body then bond the inner tube again and reinsert. I will post a photo when I get inside :)
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2021 at 5:28pm
Okay, while clearly not the most popular topic, I will post a couple of more photos to inform anyone else who may come along and wonder just what is inside the mysterious black muffler. Yes, the glass job around the muffler joint I cut is not stock. The muffler leaked when I bought it and I had reinforced the joint and sealed it at that time. Wasn't aware of the inner tube separation and who knows when that may have occurred. 
The first pic is of the inner tube baffle and muffler exhaust outlet separated. The second photo is of the two fit together. Not a straight pipe. It takes a turn. Not surprising the way the bubble and the exhaust outlet line up. But interesting in that the manufacturer did not make the assembly as one piece. Maybe an intentional thing so It would give way and not be "bomb like" under pressure? When I had first repaired the joint I was surprised at how little material there was right at that joint. Looking at where the inner baffle tube joins it is obvious that there wasn't much material bonding the joint. Just that little sliver of glass that remained in the exhaust outlet. That will change :)  The third photo looks in at the bubble on the top and the outer baffle. I recognize that many of you have different age boats, different styles of muffler and probably a lot better idea of what I would find inside. But I hope anyone with a similar issue finds the newly posted photos and has a great time playing with epoxy!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic