Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil control problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil control problems
    Posted: January-07-2021 at 2:20am
As is often heard around the BB court, "Little Help"

I pulled my exhaust manifolds off recently and there is is a fair amount of oily sticky goo in the exhaust ports of my heads. There's less on the PCV side of the engine, where I can see a 3/16" diameter ring around the bottom of the valve guide with a small trail being blown up towards the manifold.  On the oil filler neck side of the engine, there is considerably more. I wasn't sure where it was coming from until I saw the PVC side. It's evident that it's coming down the valve guide. It's a relatively new motor with very low hours. The valves were installed by Morgans Marine in Walnut Creek, Ca, a well respected machinist. My guess is that it's not worn guides, but maybe excessive pressure in the crankcase pushing oil down the guides. I removed one of the valve covers and the guide seals are well seated, although I can't inspect them thoroughly without removing the valve springs. When I reassembled the engine I bought a new Motorcraft PCV valve that was for a 351W. It rattles just fine although doesn't pass a lot of air when I bow into it  from the valve cover side of the PCV into the carb base.

I was thinking about installing a Oil catch can/ breather, but then it would be venting inside the dog house. 

I'm not aware that it burns any oil. The plugs look great although more of a ruddy tan than gray tan. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic