Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Boat Lift Install MN Style

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FredWSauer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Boat Lift Install MN Style
    Posted: December-31-2020 at 12:22pm

We never seem to have enough help on the island in the summer.  The lift is super heavy and boating and drinking get in the way.  Anyway, I was sitting with my most competent son having morning coffee and said "do you think the two of us could use a come-along, an ice stake, and drag the lift out, and chain saw a hole and drop it in?"  He was all in "YEP"  Took us a few hours and did not strain a muscle.  Also made putting the canopy frame on real easy.  Tongue  Crazy; but, not Carol Baskin crazy?  Recall I did this on a bar bet a few years ago with my dock.  Ice auger and a shovel for a new dock install.  We have almost no ice movement in the winter and spring.  Our channel and swamp area  opens up way before the big water gets the ice out.  

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 12:54pm
I like that idea!  How does the chain on the saw hold up cutting ice?  A friend of mine seems to think the ice would be awful on a chainsaw chain.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 12:57pm
I have a floating dock that stays in year around.  It has concrete pavers for the floor.  When I installed the 51 lb tiles i was able to back the pickup out on the ice and it made the job much easier on the back!  the ice was 10" inches thick at the time.  How thick did you have to cut through? 
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 1:39pm
We had about 4" of ice.  The saw runs great.  It is a slow go and does not cut as fast as you would think.  Also, hard to get traction when the ice is getting wet.  The water keeps the blade cool  You do have to re-oil the blade when all done and I let it sit and idle for a while to warm up and dry off.  Getting carried away and not paying attention to the water spray you can get it sucked into the carb and stop the engine.  We cut ice all the time for spear fishing.  - Fred
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 1:53pm
Spear fishing?  
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 4:46pm
Spear fishing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

I  A friend of mine seems to think the ice would be awful on a chainsaw chain.  

Your friend needs to look into chains specifically designed for ice. My Ace/Stihl carries them in stock for most lengths. If the customer wants a length we don't stock, we make them. 

The ice castle is going up next week. Lot's of chain saw work on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2020 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Lot's

There’s one I haven’t seen before

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FredWSauer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Spear fishing?  

They even make decoys for spear fishing.  Cut a large hole, dark shack, no lights and wait for fish to pop up.

- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by FredWSauer FredWSauer wrote:

Anyway, I was sitting with my most competent son having morning coffee

Hopefully your other son or sons don't read CCFan! LOL
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic