NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To think I thought....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To think I thought....
    Posted: December-19-2020 at 6:26pm
...that HeyDays were the ugliest boat ever built.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:02pm
I guess you haven't seen a Cranchi then. You think Italian you think fine lines - not here, and they look worse in person. They have inboards as well all fugly.

They can't quite figure where the tower goes but check out the anchor

But at least they have a stylish top

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2020 at 8:08pm
They all keep getting uglier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

They all keep getting uglier

Yeah, I  dont get it. 

I realize its not a case of right or wrong just personal taste..But there are very few good looking boats out there.  Case in point, the new Ski Nautique.  I know, that horse has been beat to death, and you either like it or hate it, but I dont care for it. Id take the new 200 over that, with the understanding it is not as well regarded as a tournament level tug.

Runabouts are all just ordinary, nothing exceptional about any of them.  

Hard to believe you have to go back to the 60s-70s for cool looking sport boats, specifically the lower slung sportier Glastrons.  They were so far ahead of their time.  But then even they became incredibly ordinary.

I have always been a fan of low profile sport boats, Glastron, Baja, Checkmate, Tahiti...  That breed of boat is non existent now.  Not sure why.  Admittedly, not very functional, very little room inside for people or gear, but you would think there would be a faction of boaters that would like a sport boat just to bomb around in, but apparently no market for that.  I guess that market all went to jet skis or for the rich folks the big go fast boats (think lake norman, Lanier, Havasu...)  That preference for low slung boats led me to like old MC S&S's since they sat pretty low, the old pre malibu flightcrafts or the original moombas.

Me, I've always been a huge fan of v-drive flat bottoms, a big enough fan that I was within a guy accepting my very reasonable offer wiith cash in hand of one of those being my first boat.  Just as well. as they are incredibly pointless.  I rode in a friend's a few years ago and thought, well, that was fun, now what.  (my friend Kenny's v-drive)

Bottom line, No, there arent any particularly attractive boats any more.  Kind of like cars. In the 60s all the cars were different and stylish, no two alike.  Now everything is either a vanilla sedan, think Toyota Camry et al, or vanilla crossover, think anything from Kia to the indistinguishable Mercedes.  Ho hum.

DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 8:51pm
I bought a Tahiti in 1971, had a 115 hp Merc “tower of power”. Had a lot of fun with it for a year or so.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 10:01pm
David, 

My first 2 boats. Even that little Baja is a little thicker than I would have liked.  I had hoped to find a flat deck/no windshield Tahiti or similar but had no luck.

Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2020 at 7:02am
Now if it can't surf it won't sell so everybody is racing to build the biggest heaviest ugliest barge they can and load them up with useless accessories and high end electronics  to drive the price sky high. There is no doubt these floating spaceships will go the way of the high tech luxury cars after 10 years or so when the electronics start failing and the parts to fix them are either so high they are unaffordable or no longer available at all. I don't see anyone restoring a 2013 G in 2043?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic