Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor for EFI Chrysler 440

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2021 at 1:27pm
Now it would make some sense that the big block dizzy is the same length for both rotations b/c they both used the collar. But it would also mean I'm out of luck with the Edelbrock, because it will be designed for use w/o a collar.

My source that told me the dizzy shafts are the same also told me that the distributor clamp is different sizes, based on whether it's made for use with the collar. The collar clamp is longer, and the shorter clamp is too short to use with a collar. But maybe that only applies to small blocks, if all big blocks had the same dizzy & used a collar, regardless of rotation.

Is there anybody else out there with a dual 440 setup who can verify that they both have collars? Or verify that that was the norm for all marine 440's?
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 1:22am
I was reviewing info online & looking for pics of marine 440's to see if I could find any that showed the dizzy mounts, when I stumbled on the thread at marineengine.com that has the dizzy pics on this site. I'm not sure where those pics originated, but when I spotted them in that thread, I read the whole thread. It pretty much answers every question I've raised here. Too bad I didn't see & read it first.

It was started by the owner of a twin 440 setup. He was trying to figure out why both of his engines had a thrust collar. And he ordered a new Mallory YLM578 AV distributor. That's a marine distributor, but it has a short shaft, and won't work in a reverse rotation installation with a thrust collar.

Apparently it's true that all the Chrysler marine 440's used the same long shaft distributor. They all sat on top of the thrust collar, but in the standard rotation engine, the collar was superfluous. It just meant Chrysler only needed to supply one distributor, which was interchangeable.

I did find mention of the fact that Chrysler made a few early marine 413's and 426 wedge engines that had a front crank-to-cam gear-to-gear setup that had the cam turning opposite the crankshaft. But they were few, and apparently none of the 440's were gear-to-gear.

So it appears that the only way to use the Edelbrock EFI distributor is to graft a custom-made shaft into it. Someone along the way suggested figuring out how to supply the engine rotation information to the Edelbrock computer from a crank wheel & sensor instead of from the distributor. That seems daunting, and I'd still need a different distributor, since my auto dizzy is too short. And I'll still need the thrust collar, since my engine still turns backwards. So maybe a new dizzy shaft isn't such a bad option…
Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 6:32am
Originally posted by tleed tleed wrote:

I was reviewing info online & looking for pics of marine 440's to see if I could find any that showed the dizzy mounts, when I stumbled on the thread at marineengine.com that has the dizzy pics on this site. I'm not sure where those pics originated, but when I spotted them in that thread, I read the whole thread. It pretty much answers every question I've raised here. Too bad I didn't see & read it first.

You must mean the first link in the quote below from December 12th in this thread 

You said you read it back then and thanked the guy who posted the link Wink

There's plenty of conflicting info in that thread

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Maybe you've seen the link below.........maybe you haven't. I guess the only way to find out is to click on it.  Wink

It might have some useful measurements and information for your RR 440

I won't ask any silly questions like " is that a USCG approved Edelbrock kit ?"

I figure you bought the boat in the link below

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2021 at 10:20am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Good info. Sounds like your getting closer to solving mystery
I heard some twin engine boat with RR and stnd rot power, used collars and long shaft on both engines just so parts were interchangeable (collar for no reason on stnd)

Hey. I just found a ‘440 marine reverse rotation distributor ‘ on eBay. Spendy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic