Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Ski Nautique fiberglass resin??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 1:27pm
thanks for the heads up on Gelcoat not sticking to epoxy... that would have really sucked to find that out after the fact! My plan is to have someone spray the entire upper transom area as I'm quite sure that a color match will be next to impossible even for a pro. I'm thinking... have them try to match the gelcoat as best they can and then have a 4-6" wide decal/wrap made that matches the top, darker tan stripe. Run that new stripe from the rub rail above the existing darker tan stripe up over each corner towards the corner of the back seat. This will cover the line of the new/old gelcoat. Nautique guys will pick out this non-stock item immediately, but without any sort of stock delineation line on the transom.....  Sort of the same idea as hood stripes on some Corvettes....

like this...

2018 Chevy Corvette Fender Stripes HASHMARK 2014-2019

On injection.. I thought if there were voids from the top once I remove the cracked gelcoat that I might fill those with a syringe of resin/hardner... I do not expect to find any considerable voids, but I just don't know yet...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 1:33pm
Final pic... (the previous one was before the last 3 layers...

Corvette stripes...

1964 American Skier
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 1:47pm
If you’re going to have the whole area sprayed with gel then I don’t understand why you’re proposing to inject anything. With the structural repair done from the inside, now you can just go at the top side with a grinder to remove all loose and broken glass+gel. Fair it out then spray. You may want to talk to your gel guy first on what they’d prefer to do themselves, and how much they’re comfortable with you doing ahead of time. A discussion of materials you’d be using would be key.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2020 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you’re going to have the whole area sprayed with gel then I don’t understand why you’re proposing to inject anything. With the structural repair done from the inside, now you can just go at the top side with a grinder to remove all loose and broken glass+gel. Fair it out then spray. You may want to talk to your gel guy first on what they’d prefer to do themselves, and how much they’re comfortable with you doing ahead of time. A discussion of materials you’d be using would be key.

Like TRB said, talk to the fiberglass guy, you'd probably get better results letting him finish from here.

You could read about what resin sticks good to what resin  Polyester, Vinylester, and Epoxy being the resins. Gelcoat is polyester based.

Plenty of discussion to be found about whether gel coat adheres well to Epoxy depending on how "cured" the Epoxy is and what type of Epoxy it is.For the most part, it doesn't adhere very good  Vinylester plays well with Epoxy or Polyester resin, so like has been said a few times already vinylester would be next, then gel on top of that.

Let the fiberglass guy do it from here or he might be redoing some of what you do next for proper adhesion.

Besides, if he's good you'll probably never know where the repaired spot is when he's done and you won't need any funky stripes or anything else Wink

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2020 at 9:21am
Watch a true pro do it in this video and you can see how close they can get.
Boatworks Today gelcoat
'92 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2020 at 4:57pm
I would ask the fiberglass guy what materials he will be using before he starts the job.

Sometimes you have to specifically ask for the premium package.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2020 at 6:36pm
that color matching video was really amazing... I agree with all those that think talking to the gelcoat guy before proceeding is a good idea.... thanks again...

1964 American Skier
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2020 at 8:01pm
I had fiberglass work done on our 95 Nautique, 5 years ago.  The red and the white gel had to be matched after an accident, very visible spot on the nose.  I was really afraid the boat would never look good as it did.   The shop did a fabulous job and the Gel Coat today is near impossible to tell where the damage happened.  I am very happy.  Shop in Sacramento did the work so too far for your use but there are people that can do the work at a very high level.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2020 at 8:36pm
I found a local guy that has very positive reviews and I felt really good about our chat... He plans to gelcoat just half the transom. I mentioned hiding the lines if needed and he was quite confident there would be no need for "funky stripes". He said "I'll be able to tell, but you won't". I said "that's exactly what I'm looking for"... It will be done next week.

1964 American Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2020 at 9:11pm
Quite awhile ago I repaired a hole where a PO had mounted a single lever control on my Mustang,posted pictures here but they are probably long gone. By far the hardest part of the whole job was actually matching the color,luckily my wife has a good eye for that. On a newer boat such as yours I think you did the right thing by taking it in,mine being an old boat and me being cheap I figured I had nothing to lose. In the end the job was actually easier than automotive painting.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2020 at 10:03pm
that's pretty nice work... foot throttle instead??

1964 American Skier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2020 at 11:40am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

that's pretty nice work... foot throttle instead??

Rick,
I'm sure Gary will have a picture he'll post but no foot throttle. His Mustang build is a SS model where the throttle and shft levers are in a center console between the seats. 

Yes, he got the gel color match. He did the same on the Mustangs blue hull. He should have been into fiberglass rather that chasing small copper wires around all those years to make our phones work! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2020 at 11:41am
No just replaced the missing console where the controls originally were. Had to regel that as well since donor boat was a different color.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2020 at 12:50pm
Nice work Gary!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2020 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

He should have been into fiberglass rather that chasing small copper wires around all those years to make our phones work! Big smile

Nah I think I made the right career choice,how could you pass up nice clean electrical work?  Quite the life until gps came out

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2020 at 5:51pm
OMFG!!! That dash is beyond beautiful!!! I had to pull the foot throttle out of my '64 as I found pulling a skier with a foot throttle back thru the wakes was less than optimal when my foot bounced on the gas.... 

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2020 at 8:08am
Got the prop and tracking fin back. As always H&H in Salem, MA did an incredible job at a fair price.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:54pm
supposed to be done tomorrow.... can't wait to see it!!!

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 4:57pm

. can't wait to see it!!!

Me too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:03pm
My buddy down in FL picked up the new platform today for me... Only parts I don't have yet are the replacement seat skins which are in the queue... should be no problem to be ready for FL in February... Cool

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:42pm
New Platform pics.....

1964 American Skier
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2020 at 5:47pm
That turned out great! Thumbs Up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 11:38am
first pic from the gelcoat guy..... I'll see it in person in a couple hours...

Please ignore the fact that I obviously haven't compounded the lower transom yet... I'll get right on that....

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 11:52am
So far, it's looking fantastic. Thumbs Up

Was this fiberglass guy one of the ones who said:

large sum of money to a shop that says "We can't guarantee that it won't crack again"... More than 1 place said this....

In my opinion, any glass shop that tells you that, isn't worth going to. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So far, it's looking fantastic. Thumbs Up

Was this fiberglass guy one of the ones who said:

large sum of money to a shop that says "We can't guarantee that it won't crack again"... More than 1 place said this....

In my opinion, any glass shop that tells you that, isn't worth going to. 

Nope, this guy is quite confident in his work and stands behind it...

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 1:00pm

Nope, this guy is quite confident in his work and stands behind it...

Rick,
Sounds like you made a great choice 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2020 at 5:21pm
Looks just as nice in person!! Ride home in a snowstorm, not so nice... Kinda cleaned up and in the garage now....

Northeast Fiberglass, Laconia, NH, 3 thumbs up! They also do upholstery work. Family business, Bob, wife and 2 daughters...

first pic from the gelcoat guy..... I'll see it in person in a couple hours...

Please ignore the fact that I obviously haven't compounded the lower transom yet... I'll get right on that....

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2020 at 5:11pm
lower transom compounded (it was way overdue), a little wax, speedos resealed, decals on....

1964 American Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2020 at 5:15pm
Clap Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2020 at 9:18pm
Like it never happened. Looks good.
'92 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic