Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fin 94 barefoot nautique 90dgr bended

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ginovv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginovv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fin 94 barefoot nautique 90dgr bended
    Posted: November-10-2020 at 1:29pm
Hi guys

Just new to this forum, already see some very interesting topics. My dad owns a 94 barefoot nautique pcm ford 351. It's a beautiful boat and I absolutely love it. Since I live closer now and having a decent job and income, I can finally support my dad with maintenance etc.

this summer in Croatia, the boat got loose from its buoy and hit the rocks at the beach. Very lucky nothing really bad happened, only the propeller got damaged and the fin. The propeller we'll get fixed by a company, but the fin is another thing. 
The fin is bended almost 90 degrees and we can't loosen the screws. We thought it might have a nut on the inside of the boat below the fuel tank. So we drained the tank and disassembled it, but saw that they're just bolts. Also one screw is blocked by the fin itself, since it is 90 degrees bend. 

1. Can we heat the fin to get it straight and then drill out the screws? 
  2. If we heat it, could it cause damage to the polyester hull? Glue?
  3. I prefer not to drill, so any of you might have a brilliant idea to get out the original screws?
I wanted to add some pictures, but I got this error .

''error '80070070'

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 789''

Greetings from The Netherlands.

Gino van Vroonhoven

Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 5:36pm
Gino,
Welcome to CCF. Smile  the site is experiencing issues loading pictures and they are working on it. I'm sure there will be some people chime in that have dealt with replacing a tracking fin in the past.  I know I have heard people say warming the area where the tracking fin is bonded to the hull will help remove it, After the screws are out. 
God luck, someone will be along soon to help you out. 
Wink
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Gino,
Welcome to CCF. Smile  the site is experiencing issues loading pictures and they are working on it. I'm sure there will be some people chime in that have dealt with replacing a tracking fin in the past.  I know I have heard people say warming the area where the tracking fin is bonded to the hull will help remove it, After the screws are out. 
God luck, someone will be along soon to help you out. 
Wink

I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that the OP is actually talking about the RUDDER and calling it a fin, in-as-much as he's explaining draining the fuel tank to gain access. No fuel tanks over the tracking fIns only the rudder. YMMV Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that the OP is actually talking about the RUDDER and calling it a fin, in-as-much as he's explaining draining the fuel tank to gain access. No fuel tanks over the tracking fIns only the rudder. YMMV Wink

I'm gonna chop that limb right off and say that Gino knows what he's talking about

It's a 94 BFN/Excel, it's a v drive, the gas tank isn't where you think it is Wink

Gino can straighten you out
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:05pm
Anyone remember the longtime member from Beigium?  Perhaps he could offer advice on procurement of a new rudder.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Ginovv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginovv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I'm gonna chop that limb right off and say that Gino knows what he's talking about

It's a 94 BFN/Excel, it's a v drive, the gas tank isn't where you think it is Wink

Gino can straighten you out

That's correct, it is a V-drive and i'm indeed talking about the fin with 6 screws right in the center of the boat below the fuel tank. 
It's midnight here, so I'll let you guys surprise me in the morning LOL

Thanks for the replies so far!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:25pm
Gino

A fin bent almost 90 degrees is never gonna straighten out and be like new..

I'd use an angle grinder and cut it enough to access all the screws, pull the screws and use some heat to soften the sealant and pry the fin off.

Heat from a heat gun on the base of the fin will be plenty.

People have used wedges, shims etc to get the fin off after the sealant is soft.

Some come off easily...............some don't come so easy Wink

Then it's new fin time
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:33pm
I think I'd at least check the shaft alignment too, if you haven't already done that, just to be sure that it's good.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2020 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I think I'd at least check the shaft alignment too, if you haven't already done that, just to be sure that it's good.
And shaft straightness especially just aft of the strut.

Gino,
Welcome to CCfan. Keep that boat going. 

Regarding the straightness, max out is .003". 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ginovv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginovv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2020 at 1:28pm
Hi guys

Thanks for the comments so far. The rudder alignment is fine, it looks like it was just balancing on the prop and fin and the side of the hull when it was on the coast in Croatia. 

I will definitely replace the fin with a new one. Problem is to get the screws out.... Anyone of you have some method they want to share with me?

Thanks! 
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2020 at 4:22pm
As I said before I have not done one of these but I would try a cordless impact driver with a new bit that fits the screw heads perfectly. 
Or use one of these. 
Hard to work one of these though when upside down Smile
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 12:17am
If it was laying on the prop and screwed up the prop, you really should at least check that the shaft isn't bent like Pete said and check the alignment too.

Your naked eyeball may not see a slight bend in the shaft or thestrut, or at least mine won't  Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 7:03am
I'd sawsall then fin the deepen the slots in the bolts with a cutoff wheel, find the largest slotted bit an impact , apply heat then have at it.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 8:49am
Why not cut the fin off and be done with it?  It isn't helping now and that single fin does little to help the Excel hull track.  That hull is a rolling V hull in turns - cut it off and see what you think before you go banging and cussing.

If you want to check the hull, it lives under the LARGE fuel tank.  You need to remove the rear seat, the seat backer panel, open the floor access panel and remove the fuel tank to assess that area.  (It is a good time to replace the gas float with a WEMO reed sender - great indicator with almost no sloshing artifact.)  Hopefully the force to bend it didn't harm the fiberglass or gel beneath it.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2020 at 10:21am
"Why not cut the fin off and be done with it?  It isn't helping now and that single fin does little to help the Excel hull track.  That hull is a rolling V hull in turns - cut it off and see what you think before you go banging and cussing."

Whooo! there! put the brakes on!
Please replace the Fin on that hull ASAP. Cut it off, un screw and install a correct replacement.
Most of you know about the direct drive applications that correct Craft has built but very little experience with the older V-drives. 1994 Barefoot hull had some unsavory behavior when it came to fin location,
Testing went on for months before that hull was released. I know from experience under the right conditions that hull can and will roll up, chine lock and go the apposite direction.
So please disregard any advice that tells you to go ahead and cut it off and go !

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Ginovv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginovv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2020 at 2:58pm
Thank you for you reply! I will certainly replace it with a new fin. We aren't experienced boat mechanics but my dad bought this boat in 94 brand new, so he knows a thing or 2. He also said that he thought that the fin is to prevent gliding or rolling like you called it. A new fin costs 100 euro new, so we will definitely replace it. After seeing your comments about bending, we won't give that a try. 

The problem is the screws are just heavily stuck. Someone mentioned to remove the fuel tank and that's what we already did. 
The flat screws are hard to reach when on the trailer. so this will be a job at the docks.
I will save this page and use it next spring. 

Thanks for all the comments guys. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic