Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blower hose rear vent connection?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower hose rear vent connection?
    Posted: November-05-2020 at 4:04am
Somewhere in my boat's past the entire bilge ventilation system was removed and the bilge blower placed randomly in the bilge with no hoses running to or from it. I'm busy replacing everything, but am not sure how the vent hose from the blower to the rear vents attaches to the rear vent. If anyone can share a description, or even better, a picture or two, that will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 9:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 3:13pm
Thanks a lot Paul. I can't quite make out the top of the picture, but am I right that the hose connects to a fibreglass box that encapsulates the transom vent? If so, how does the hose attach to the box? A flange of sorts? No fibreglass box to be seen in my boat either...
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2020 at 8:33pm
Mine is an 85, it has a plastic box per se that screws to the transom below the rear vent. It has two flanges that the hose slides on. One goes to the blower the other just works off the draft caused by the front vent.
   Not sure if thats the original way or if the PO changed the one to just go straight to the vent, but thats how I left it when I redid the stringers seems to work fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2023 at 4:17am
Resurrecting this thread. Subsequent to my posts above I did move my blower to its factory location above the fuel tank, and ran vent hose from the bottom of the bilge to the blower. I haven't built a new vent box yet. The blower sits very close to the rear vents, so I do feel that a fair amount of the air it is blowing finds its way to the atmosphere despite there being no vent box, but I do want to build a new vent box and set everything up properly.

However, this has got me wondering: doesn't a great deal of the air that the blower blows out find its way into the second vent hose (on the left in the picture above), and then back into the bilge? Is the factory vent box baffled in some way to prevent blower air being pushed back into the bilge?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2023 at 9:31am
I think there's a divider so that can't happen.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2023 at 8:55am
Follow up question: how is water that washes into the vent box meant to drain out of it? Through the two vent hoses - one of which runs to the blower? Can the average blower withstand having some water running through it from time to time?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic