NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler Exhaust Tubes Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler Exhaust Tubes Leaking
    Posted: November-02-2020 at 8:37am
While doing some maintenance this weekend, I noticed water running out of my muffler exhaust tubes, just below the rubber hose that connects it to the manifold. Both sides had some water coming out, but the port side had more. It wasn't a lot of water, but a steady stream. 

With closer inspection, it appears that both tubes have cracks in them. I attached a picture for your reference. You can see the water stream and the cracking if you look close.

Looks to me like these exhaust tubes need to be replaced. Is that right?
d

1997 Air/Sport Nautique
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 2:36pm
Ive seen them patched with fiberglass or cat hair. Pretty easy to do. 
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 2:02am
Looks like they might have run dry, no water in the exhaust.  They heat up really quick.
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 7:59am
I had a similar issue with my 98 SN a couple years ago after just buying it. Every one of the white streaks had a leak coming thru the fiberglass at the top of it. After removing the tubes they looked a lot worse inside than out. Also the hose was not in the best shape either. I opted for replacing them and all the hose. NP has the ones for your 97 for $85 . 

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 8:18am
I think I will replace them this winter along with the rubber connectors.

Anything else in the exhaust system I should inspect while I’m in there?
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 6:11pm
Been there done that I just fixed mine and replaced the blistered hose.

Under side of the muffler, they tend to rub on the bottom corners creating weak spots and eventually leaks.
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2020 at 8:01pm
Great, I’ll check the bottom of the muffler while I’m in there.

Thanks!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2020 at 7:34am
When I had my muffler out the rubber padding on the floor had moved from its correct location and was not insulating the muffler from rubbing on the bilge. I cleaned it all up and reinstalled the rubber with 3M contact adhesive in the correct area. Also patched the worn areas on the muffler. 
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic