Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

66 mustang thermostat housing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jerry f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 mustang thermostat housing
    Posted: October-19-2020 at 5:28pm
new purchase----my 351W has no thermostat and the water temp gauge stays around 90Degrees. i took off the housing and there is no boss on the intake or the housing for a thermostat to sit in-- is this how it is supposed to be    i always thought the water temp needs to get up to at least 140-   local boat mechanic told me the boss on the intake is worn away,  i doubt that could happen.  edelbrock says the boss should be on the thermostat housing
jf
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2020 at 5:47pm
Pictures needed - no 66 mustang ever left the factory with a 351. Need to see who's engine conversion it has
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jerry f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2020 at 6:33pm
sorry  forgot to say pleasurecraft  tag on the motor repowered 2003
jf
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2020 at 7:09pm
In the link below, in the second post, there's a picture showing where the thermostat is located on a PCM small block Ford.302/351 Wink

It's not between the block and the lower housing

It's between the lower housing and the upper housing as shown in the picture 

link

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2020 at 9:48pm
Pete will tell you to find a new mechanic as well LOL

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 7:28am
Jerry,
Do you have a IR temperature gun or can you borrow one? I ask because I suggest getting a true temp right at the T stat housing to confirm the running temp.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jerry f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 7:30am
this is the set up on my 351W  looks like the thermostat should be in the upper housing    ??
cant get the photo to appear    dont know why    i was able to post a pic before under  throttle cable thread    now i cant upload pics of my thermostat housing which does not look like the pics you guys posted      can i email pics to someone to post them?
jf
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:12am
Jerry,
You can email me the picture and I will post them. I'm going to work shortly so I may not get to it till later. Ken's around all day so it may be better to send them to him?

Here's a link to my email:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jerry,
You can email me the picture and I will post them. I'm going to work shortly so I may not get to it till later. Ken's around all day so it may be better to send them to him?

Here's a link to my email:

Pete  I'm feeling a little violated here with you knowing what I may or may not be up to Wink

Jerry   you could e mail the pictures to     keno439@gmail.com     and they'll get posted here

PS the picture of a little bit of the engine in your throttle cable thread says "it's not a PCM" or at least the external things like the alternator and exhaust manifolds aren't.

I may be busy for a while tracking Pete's movements, but they'll get posted Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 6:03pm

Here are Jerry's pictures of the engine

I think it's a bit of a mixed breed pound puppy. Wink

I do see some Interceptor wording on the timing cover
jerry f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 6:04pm
there is a PCM tag on the motor and i did call them   it is their motor from 2003
jf
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 6:14pm
Send me a picture of the tag and I'll post it, there's a lot of "non PCM" there. And lots of Interceptor parts including the thermostat cover and oil cooler and the alternator mounting location

The tag can be deciphered fairly easily.

By 2003 a PCM Ford engine was a thing of the past unless it was a stockpiled replacement engine, but there is a lot of non PCM stuff bolted onto it like I mentioned.

Also, the distributor is a clip down cap Prestolite that they quit using in 1986 but my x ray vision says there's an electronic module under the cap. I'd say that's a good thing 

The fuel line looks to be a combination of rubber and maybe steel in the pictures.

Not picking on the engine, just pointing out some stuff that is "out of the ordinary" and trying to help you figure out what you have  Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 7:26pm
You can click on the link below and look at the pictures of the front of the Interceptor engine for some similarities to yours. Wink

link

Here's a picture of the front of a 351PCM for comparison

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 6:54am

Here's Jerry's engine tag

I'd say it's from a 70's or 80's Pleasurecraft 351 engine since they were located in Ohio in those years and it's reverse rotating and by the early 90's reverse rotating engines were pretty rare and PCM had moved to South Carolina.

So my guess is somebody took a PCM engine out of a CC from those years and bolted on all the Interceptor stuff, sorta half keeping things original  Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 7:04am
And.........since Jerry sent some pictures of some of his car projects, I figured I'd add them here.

He did mention that he's not exactly a "keep it original" kind of guy but that's OK Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 7:50am
Jerry,
 Nice to say the very least! Thumbs Up  I have a sound feeling you will do a fantastic job on the Mustang. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jerry f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 1:51pm
thanks   any pics of the atom and tique
jf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic