Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low oil pressure false alarms

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jmoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low oil pressure false alarms
    Posted: October-10-2020 at 2:03pm
Hi All,

I have a 2006 ski Nautique limited with the Excalibur motor, 430 hours.

I have recently been getting the low oil pressure alarm chirping at me for a second just after stopping the boat/engine. When it starts and runs the gauge is reading 40-50 psi, oil level is topped off, dip stick has it exactly full. I run 15w-40 Dino oil w/Mobil M301A filter.

When running 99% of time everything is fine, but I have seen it blip twice for a moment to zero and then back when running at 3000rpm. The second time was just now as I was running it in the driveway to warm up the oil to change it.

I replaced both the sending unit and the pressure sensor, to no avail?

Any ideas on what else could be wrong?

My battery is only 3 years old and I even trickle charged while on the lift to make sure it wasn’t a voltage problem - battery terminals are tight.

I haven’t checked the back of the gauge to see if the connection is loose, will do that next. The gauge functions correctly for everything else though.

Thanks,

JMO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 2:40pm
I suggest teeing in a mechanical gauge at the pressure sender to confirm the actual oil pressure.

Careful with a "trickle" charger. Unless it is a battery maintainer designed to be connected for the long term, a trickle charger can damage the battery. Do you have a parasitic load that drains the battery and the reason for the charger? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jmoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 3:30pm
In regards to the charger - No, I just did that once to make sure the battery was topped off, it was only on there for a few hours. The boat lives on a lift so I leave the run/off/bilge toggle switch in the “off” position when not in use.

Only accessories that are running while skiing is Stargazer/PP and occasionally the stock radio.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by jmoski jmoski wrote:

When running 99% of time everything is fine, but I have seen it blip twice for a moment to zero and then back when running at 3000rpm. The second time was just now as I was running it in the driveway to warm up the oil to change it.

This makes me think you have an indication problem and not an actual oil pressure problem, because if you're at 3000 rpm and you lose oil pressure, your engine will go into "RPM reduction mode" and I don't see any mention of getting that alarm when pressure drops to zero on the gauge. Anything over 2000RPM with a loss of oil pressure or high water temperature kicks it into "RPM reduction mode"

The switch that you replaced sends a signal to the computer at about 5 psi decreasing, then the computer kicks into the reduction mode and your Chevy spits and sputters and runs on 4 cylinders during this time.

The sensor you replaced sends a different independent signal to the gauge.

Do you have the 06 owners manual for the boat and also the owners manual for the engine.?

I hope you have a hefty water supply hooked up to the engine to run it for an extended time in the driveway at 3000 rpm to warm up the oil Wink
jmoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 7:08pm
Yes I have manuals, I do get a low oil alarm for about a second (beeps twice) every time I stop the engine and then of course it stops. I am now thinking my gauge might be bad or has a loose connection.

The boat runs fine, it’s just incredibly annoying to hear it chirp everytime I shut the boat off to switch out skiers.

To run in the driveway I have a 1” hose I connect to the input side of the raw water strainer and put the other end in a 5 gallon bucket which is fed from a garden hose.

I can only throttle up like that for a short burst as it will exhaust the supply in the bucket, and yes I am in neutral when I do this. At idle the garden hose keeps up with it.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by jmoski jmoski wrote:

Yes I have manuals, I do get a low oil alarm for about a second (beeps twice) every time I stop the engine and then of course it stops. I am now thinking my gauge might be bad or has a loose connection.

The boat runs fine, it’s just incredibly annoying to hear it chirp everytime I shut the boat off to switch out skiers.

To run in the driveway I have a 1” hose I connect to the input side of the raw water strainer and put the other end in a 5 gallon bucket which is fed from a garden hose.

I can only throttle up like that for a short burst as it will exhaust the supply in the bucket. At idle the garden hose keeps up with it.

Good to hear it's only a short burst to 3000 rpm in the driveway.

Just to verify.............you never get the RPM reduction alarm right? or the stuttering engine?

The limited is Keyless isn't it?

All I know about the keyless start system is that "I know nothing" about it and that something in that magic panel may be responsible for the annoying chirps
jmoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2020 at 7:53pm
Correct - never been dropped into limp mode or had any real issues with it.

Yes, the limited has the keypad for starting the boat. Mine is in good shape - it was replaced recently as i bent the connector on the back by accident when I pulled the dash/helm off to upgrade my perfect pass to Stargazer GPS.
jmoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-04-2021 at 5:14pm
Just dewinterized, in the winter I swapped in a new 5” gauge to see if that was the issue, it’s not.

Of interest after starting up and running for awhile, it didn’t chirp on shutdown. But then every subsequent stop does, highly annoying. Any other ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic