Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

97 Nautique 176 Engine Build

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zims350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zims350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 97 Nautique 176 Engine Build
    Posted: October-05-2020 at 12:03pm
Hello, I have a 97 ski nautique 176 that recently lost a head gasket. I already have gt40p heads that I want to put on and just decided to rebuild the engine due to age and 900 hours. One of the pistons has some marking on it from some previous foreign material. What would you recommend for pistons? Also I had a cam research water ski cam for my old 83 2001 that I can't use. I figure I have a few more options being standard rotation. I plan on a cam, gt40p heads, 1.7 rollers and a rpm air gap or Weiand stealth intake. Want to make this little fly so what cam should I go with? I have tried to do some research but you mostly get rr cam specs. Long time member I just don't post often. Great group with knowledgeable people. I will try to post a picture of the boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 12:38pm
I'm putting together a GT40 engine- my machine shop recommended and sourced Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons. It cleaned up at 020. Machinist mentioned it was starting to get hard sourcing Ford parts - don't know if that was because I wanted to keep the bore size down to avoid computer problems or what. Summit shows that in standard bore those pistons need to be special ordered with a month lead time.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 2:51pm
Sealed Power has provided pistons to Mercury Marine for years now.   Mostly Hypereutectics, they work well in Marine applications.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 5:14pm
The Air Gap may not fit under the engine cover.  The RPM Performer is 1/2” lower. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
zims350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zims350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 7:02pm
Sorry meant the performer rpm. Too bad I have a brand new "water ski" cam from cam research for a rh 351w. Will be selling that if anyone is interested.
MarkConesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkConesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 7:26am
Good morning if you still have that cam shaft for a 351 reverse rotation,  I am looking for one for a rebuild I am doing on an '83.  
I am looking for a near stock lift and duration. 
Thanks
Mark
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 8:01am
Zims, being a 1997 that may be a roller block. Cost shouldn’t be insane and you also won’t need to worry about a high zinc content oil if roller swapped. Engine performance will increase handily without loss of idle quality etc.

If you’re building 400 hp or less the normal edelbrock performer intake will be more than sufficient without the associated clearance issues.

I Second what Gary said. I used those pistons in HWs recent build and they look like very nice pieces for the money as well as very consistent in their clearance measurements.

You’ll need to swap distributor gears (maybe just upgrade to a DUI) to match the material the roller cam is made of and the 1.7s won’t be necessary. Just select your cam based on head specs and use the stock 1.6 ratio to keep geometry stock.

Bearing selection is another story but the guys here have a pretty good base of what we have used to suggest options if you need them.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 10:28am
A warmed-up motor in a 176 would be a ton ‘o fun.  I’m jealous.  +1 for a roller cam set-up and DUI.  Hole-shot should be nutz.  Keep us informed as you proceed.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic