Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

~ 3 FT piece of plastic tubing stuck in oilpan

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
68CCSZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68CCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~ 3 FT piece of plastic tubing stuck in oilpan
    Posted: October-05-2020 at 8:41am
Need suggestions on this one. Uses an oil extractor to change my oil on my 68 CC. I got most of the oil out but because I can't leave well enough alone, I added another piece of hose to try to get the very bottom of the oilman. Unfortunately that extra piece came off from the fitting and now is stick in the engine. I used a grabber tool at the dipstick hole and tried the front bottom hole which is larger to try to get the tube out. Today I formed a loop on a wire and will try this later on today. I also ordered and endoscopic camera to try to see where it is in the engine. Any other ideas? I believe I couldn't just leave it in there else the tube could wrap around the shaft. Worse case scenario, take the motor out and then the oilpan out. $$$$$. Just what I need from what would have been a simple oil change!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 8:58am
Seems to me that leaving that dog lie would be appropriate.  Even if the plastic tubing gets chewed up & into oil pan screen, it won't be any more work to fix it later.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
68CCSZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68CCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 9:01am
Wouldn't there be a chance that the tubing could wind itself around the shaft and create a real horror show of a problem?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 9:05am
Yes.  Plastic could get jammed ito something, but probably would just get chewed up & turned into bits.   It all depends on your tolerance for risk.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
roadtrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadtrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 9:29am
What if you removed the metal dipstick tube?
68CCSZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68CCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 9:46am
I did. I'm using that hole to try to get the plastic tube out.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 10:00am
If you can hook the plastic tube with the wire and get it over to the hole, a needle nose vise grip may work better than the grabber tool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 5:31pm
How about a powerful shopvac with a reduction attachment. Try and suck it up to your needle nose
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 5:41pm
I can believe that you got some tubing stuck in the pan............but 3 ft is a little excessive isn't it.Wink

Is it that there's a 3 ft piece all curled up in the oil pan or you had a 3 ft piece in the hole and there's now a little piece in the pan?
68CCSZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68CCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 7:17pm
There is a little less than 3 ft. I know call me a putz but it is what it is. I called the guy that I bought this boat from and he is considered a guru on old boats like mine. He feels he can get it out with the special tools that he has. Hope he can fix it without taking out the motor. Lesson learned don't try to get every oz of oil out. I also thought of the shop vac to get the tubing next to the bottom plug in order to pull out and may try that in the meantime.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2020 at 7:28pm
OK, ya putz Wink

Here's hoping you can get it out.

Is this a Chrysler 318 you're dealing with just out of curiosity.

There's a thread on here somewhere about adding a drain hose to an older 318.

I could probably dig it up if you want.
68CCSZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68CCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 9:29pm
Success! The guy I bought the boat from couldn’t get it out after 3 hours trying. He said he had it with a stainless hooked wire attached to vice grip pliers and when he gave a good tug he actually bent the wire. I then thought what the tube needs is some heat to make it pliable. I went down with a heat gun and a funnel attachment and seeing the tube right by the drain plug with the endoscope I inserted a coat hanger and was able to grab the tube. Then I inserted the heat gun for a few seconds and was able to pull all the tubing out of the hole. I will NEVER do that again!!!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 10:25pm
Well done.  Copper tube is the answer. 
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2020 at 5:43am
Clap Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2020 at 8:40am
Good idea and glad it worked for you.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 2:27pm
Nice, I would not be able to function until it was out lol. 

1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic