Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2005 SAN V-drive / Transmission removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Brucem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 SAN V-drive / Transmission removal
    Posted: September-28-2020 at 3:21pm
First time poster.  I have a 2005 Super Air Nautique that I’ve owned for 14 years.  I just lost forward in my transmission this past weekend (just over a 1000 hours).  It happened fairly quickly.  Transmission made a slight screeching sound, then started slipping.  I was able to limp back to the houseboat, but lost it completely when while trying to limp back to the dock. I’m now trying to remove the v-drive to get to the transmission and have a question I thought someone here might be able to help answer.  I’ve removed the gas tank and disconnected the shaft coupler from the v-drive, but I’m wondering the correct way to remove the v-drive mounts.  Is unbolt the 4 mounts from the frame and pulling the mounts with the v-drive the best approach (see image below)?  Also besides the 6 bolts connecting the v-drive to the transmission do I need to remove the 4 internal nuts as shown in the picture below?  I saw a similar thread from a newer boat but the v-drive appears significantly different.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bruce

Brucem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 12:51am
As usual, it turned out much more difficult than a normal removal.  The bottom bolt of the six was rusted to a round nub.  In the end I had to completely remove the v-drive mounts to have enough room to cut the nut off.  The internal bolts mentioned in the previous post didn't need to be removed. Since the v-drive slides off the shaft at an angle on my 2005 SAN I believe if one was going to reuse the mounts removing the mounting bolts as shown in the previous post and then removing the mounts from the v-drive would be the best method to minimize the amount of realignment that will be required.  I’ll be sending the v-drive off to Walter’s Machine Co. for hopefully a proper rebuild.  Mine weighs 99lbs as a point of reference. Next I need to figure out the proper method to support the rear of the engine while removing the transmission...

Bruce

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 8:26am
If you have the facility it might be a better option to pull the motor and transmission as a unit. Fighting with the transmission to get it off and on in the boat could be a bear. Something to consider.
'92 Sport Nautique
Brucem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 4:05pm
I also need to address the motor mounts so this might be a much easier approach.  Thanks for the suggestion.
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2020 at 11:53am
If you don’t haven’t picked a place to rebuild it give us a call we offer a 1 year unlimited hour warranty 330-273-8291 names Joe
You break it I’ll fix it
Brucem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2020 at 4:54pm
As a follow up post I ended up pulling the engine, and just couldn't stop there. I'm headed for a full restoration. Flooring, upholstery, gel coat restore,... Debating on upgrading to the 80 transmission instead of a rebuild.  The aluminum frame had some corrosion so I'm working on that too. My giant row boat is sitting in the driveway now.

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2020 at 4:26pm
Up date to the new series 80 transmission. Buy the kit it comes with new drive plate,new cooler, new hoses and adapting hardware and fasteners.
Series 40 transmissions no longer are supported by PCM. you can get seals and plates however no more replacement drums. most common failure on the 40 is drum crack and reverse retainer failure. I went through 4 series 40 123:1 to find a doner drum ......no bueno!

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Brucem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brucem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2020 at 5:50pm
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been looking at the 80 kit from skidim.com. 

Crazy question.  I sent my Walter v-drive for a rebuild and the quote came back at $2k.  That’s pretty close to the cost of a new PCM v-drive.  Since I’m basically replacing both the trans and the v-drive would it be crazy to consider swapping to this configuration? I’d need a new shaft and mounting h/w, and there are probably other gotchas.  I dislike the coupling under the v-drive especially for alignment, and that’s really the only reason I’m even considering this.  Is the PCM v-drive better than the Walter's in any noticeable ways, or is this just foolishness fraught with problems?

Bruce
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2020 at 9:05pm
That would be a great question for Jody,he's got more experience with them than anyone here . I have wondered if the PCM is quieter as well, mine seeming makes alot of gear whine.   
Or if your brave post it here on this thread-  Sure Is Quiet In Here...Do I need To Start A Fight,  PCM Vs Walter

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2020 at 11:54pm
We are currently at around $1,500 for a Walter rebuild, as for the difference between is they are both just a set of gears reversing shaft rotation. One relies on gear movement to lubricate (P.C.M) and the other uses an oil pump (Walter). Walters are great v-drives but there pricey to rebuild since you have to get everything from Walter
You break it I’ll fix it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic