Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake shaper compatability with 2001 hull?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake shaper compatability with 2001 hull?
    Posted: September-25-2020 at 4:39am
I'm looking to get a wake shaper, but am concerned that not all designs are compatible with the hull of my boat (1982 Ski Nautique 2001). I emailed Liquid Force about their Wakesurf Edge and was told that none of their shapers are compatible with the 2001 hull.

Anyone with experience/recommendations as to which shaper will work best?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:43am
You can make one for about $20.  Search the 'net, probably find the design on planet nautique.

I had made one, worked good.

It uses a dent puller suction cup, get at Harbor Freight.  Also a cutting board - Walmart.

Mine never came loose but had a tether on it just in case.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You can make one for about $20.  Search the 'net, probably find the design on planet nautique.

As described in this thread?
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:55am
That's it, but use a HDPE cutting board (walmart) instead of plywood.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 4:21pm
I made ours too. I actually got on amazon and ordered a 3/4 inch thick cutting board to make it more durable. The whole thing cost under $30.
92 Sport nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by rolleronariver rolleronariver wrote:

I made ours too. I actually got on amazon and ordered a 3/4 inch thick cutting board to make it more durable. The whole thing cost under $30.

Do you have a picture perhaps? Did you use 90 degree brackets to fix the cutting board to the suction cups, or do you have a different angle to lessen resistance through the water when under way?
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 6:41pm
I don’t think I have any pics but I’ll take some next time I’m at the boat storage and post them. I used about a 60 degree angle to lessen the force. I’ll try and get the dimensions for you in the next couple of days. Ours works very good!
92 Sport nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2020 at 7:55am
I ended up using a 40cm x 25cm x 1cm cutting board and suction cup handle both bought off the shelf from a local online retailer. Couldn't find any 60 degree brackets off the shelf, so I had a local welder make two stainless steel ones for me. The plan was to use pieces of pool noodle around the stays of the brackets for bouancy, but that didn't provide enough flotation, so I used a tether rope attached to the swim platform in case the suction cups detached from the hull. The setup worked well over the past weekend, never had any detachments. I still need to experiment a bit with placement of the shaper on the hull, but so far so good. All in all probably cost me about $50.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic