Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake shaper compatability with 2001 hull?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake shaper compatability with 2001 hull?
    Posted: February-05-2021 at 1:00pm
As the more the serious foilers transition to lighter carbon set ups I see more older set ups with aluminum masts, compression molded boards and composite wings being sold for pretty reasonable prices. The trick is to not buy wings that are really designed for kite boarding or primarily designed for paddle in foiling. I ride a middle range set up from Liquid Force. Certainly not as light as the Armstrong set up my friend Jimmy is riding in the picture in the post above, but very much fun and more beginner friendly. Watch Craigslist and you may find what you are looking for. here is an example of good wakefoil wing. It is a higher aspect ratio wing  and has a 1250cm surface area. Great in the first wake and decent on the second. Much smaller and it is hard to drop the handle and free ride. Lot's of companies making wings with similar size and aspect ratios.

I don't want to derail this this thread, but since I see friends going to great lengths and expense to add a ton of ballast to get a decent wave I had to toss out how nice it is to have a fun ride that is hassle free. 

Jimmy is on Facebook as Jimmy Jam Foils. Check out his posts. Wake foiling, tow in wave riding, paddle in surf foiling and electric foils. He does it all. Loads of videos and he is happy to be of assistance.

Now, sit down hydrofoils are really fun and I can jump higher than I want to go with no wake, but those CNC'ed billet wings and struts are really big bucks! 

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2021 at 11:10am
I really want to try one of those foils but damn if they are nearly as expensive as my boat :)

Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
nobrainsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobrainsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 1:01pm
Here is another example of a  DIY wakeshaper. Using the same HDPE for the side supports was really easy. I used two binding barrels and screws to hold the suction assembly in place so there isn't any rough surface to catch your hands on. If you make a wakeshaper you might want to remove the suction cups and replace the springs and fasteners with stainless so you won't get rust. I used a little corrosion x on the center plunger that I couldn't replace. Otherwise be sure to burp any remaining water out of the inside of the cup bodies when you are done for the day. Rust never sleeps!

Surfing is fun, but if you want to have a great ride with less ballast and a small wake you should try wakefoiling! I ride behind my Ski Nautique with very little wake. It is so much fun. We even ride the second wake. Foils open up a surf style of ride on a lot of boats with poor wakes and are really a gas behind my buddies bigger boats with surf gates. We peel off and poach/ride wakes well back off the bigger vessels that transit our bay. Wakefoils will catch almost anything! 

fahtal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fahtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2021 at 5:28am
we made the same style wakeshaper it is not 90 degree anymore. more 70-80 bending over backwards. we attache at the end of the 2001 decal. the decal messes up the suction some times..  with some guys in the back for ballast we can get a decent wave and ride ropeless. sometimes we take some sandbags with us. we should put more ballast in but are still looking for sollutions for that.

Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2020 at 7:55am
I ended up using a 40cm x 25cm x 1cm cutting board and suction cup handle both bought off the shelf from a local online retailer. Couldn't find any 60 degree brackets off the shelf, so I had a local welder make two stainless steel ones for me. The plan was to use pieces of pool noodle around the stays of the brackets for bouancy, but that didn't provide enough flotation, so I used a tether rope attached to the swim platform in case the suction cups detached from the hull. The setup worked well over the past weekend, never had any detachments. I still need to experiment a bit with placement of the shaper on the hull, but so far so good. All in all probably cost me about $50.

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 6:41pm
I don’t think I have any pics but I’ll take some next time I’m at the boat storage and post them. I used about a 60 degree angle to lessen the force. I’ll try and get the dimensions for you in the next couple of days. Ours works very good!
92 Sport nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by rolleronariver rolleronariver wrote:

I made ours too. I actually got on amazon and ordered a 3/4 inch thick cutting board to make it more durable. The whole thing cost under $30.

Do you have a picture perhaps? Did you use 90 degree brackets to fix the cutting board to the suction cups, or do you have a different angle to lessen resistance through the water when under way?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2020 at 4:21pm
I made ours too. I actually got on amazon and ordered a 3/4 inch thick cutting board to make it more durable. The whole thing cost under $30.
92 Sport nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:55am
That's it, but use a HDPE cutting board (walmart) instead of plywood.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:53am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You can make one for about $20.  Search the 'net, probably find the design on planet nautique.

As described in this thread?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 6:43am
You can make one for about $20.  Search the 'net, probably find the design on planet nautique.

I had made one, worked good.

It uses a dent puller suction cup, get at Harbor Freight.  Also a cutting board - Walmart.

Mine never came loose but had a tether on it just in case.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2020 at 4:39am
I'm looking to get a wake shaper, but am concerned that not all designs are compatible with the hull of my boat (1982 Ski Nautique 2001). I emailed Liquid Force about their Wakesurf Edge and was told that none of their shapers are compatible with the 2001 hull.

Anyone with experience/recommendations as to which shaper will work best?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic