Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Cleats to 1991 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lakerider80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerider80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Cleats to 1991 Ski Nautique
    Posted: September-21-2020 at 9:08am
I am looking to add the pop-up Nautique cleats to my 1991 Ski Nautique and wanted to see if anyone else had done the same before I drill any holes in my boat. Would it be possible/wise to put them on the side just above the rub rail or should I stick to the flat surface of the deck? I am trying to keep them as low profile as much as possible without running the risk of ripping them out of fiberglass. The only think I have noticed is that there appears to be quite a bit of foam on the backside of angled part of the deck above where the rub rail screws into the hull. Could I cut into that foam so I can get my backing plate there or what is the reason behind the foam? 

My big consideration is trying to make sure the cleats are not sitting right where anyone would be resting their arm/elbow when they are sitting but also making the cleats accessible. The photos of where I was potentially adding the cleats but would love some input.  
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 10:34am
In CT? Boat looks familiar.

Why the cleats at all?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerider80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 10:36am
Just actually got it from a guy in Connecticut and now its in NY. I need the cleats as I don't have the ability to have a lift where I will be docking it and when I want to launch it myself I don't currently have a place to tie the boat off to the dock while I go park my truck and trailer. 
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 10:51am
If you just HAVE TO have cleats, most will say vertical mount vs horizontal—particularly where the ski rope won’t contact them.  Newer Nautique came with factory cleats, but all that I’ve seen are vertical mounts.

I use a stretchy/elastic mooring line that I attach to a dock cleat and then loop on the ski pylon. Boat stays nice and snug on the dock. I also use suction cup mount fenders.  No cleats needed.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerider80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:04am
Thanks for the advice. Since I want to keep them away from the ski rope as it swings back and forth, I assume it would be wise to mount the rear cleats as far back as possible so there is the greatest vertical distance between them and the rope, though I am less worried since they do pop down and have a smooth transition. 
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:23am
Be aware your stripes have been painted. Sharp looking boat though.

The cleats will interfere with the ski rope anyplace behind the pylon, so if you’re intent on using them, just put them where they will offer the best hull protection (presumably using with bumpers?). Plenty of other options for tying up to a dock (with bumpers or ropes or whips) without cleats, if you were so inclined.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerider80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:35am
Thanks! She definitely needs some TLC but for the most part it is in good shape (the gel coat is in great shape and no real fading of the red on the side). I am all ears about how best to tie up other than using cleats as Id much prefer NOT to put any holes in the boat but want to make tying up easy especially when I'm by myself. I of course want to have a place to hang bumpers and be able to use the full length cover as I don't have a boat house nor lift at my camp. 
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:50am
Mooring or placing bumpers on the dock rather than the boat would be better longer term storage options. There are plastic clips and suction cups that work well for attaching bumpers for short term tie ups.

I meant that your gelcoat stripes (burgundy + charcoal) have been painted over... they did a pretty good job with it though. The red is a bit darker than original.
dkimball View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkimball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 12:27pm
I use the pylon as a tie up point.  Depending on the layout of the dock this makes for an easy tie up point and if it is tight enough (I use a bungee style rope) it will stay in place just fine within minimal movement forward and backwards from waves.    
Kimball
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Lakerider80 Lakerider80 wrote:

I want to keep them away from the ski rope as it swings back and forth, I assume it would be wise to mount the rear cleats as far back as possible so there is the greatest vertical distance between them and the rope, 
This idea is good for when the skier/boarder is up on the water but, you also need to think about when he/she is in the water and the rope is draped over the gunnel/aft deck. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakerider80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Lakerider80 Lakerider80 wrote:

I want to keep them away from the ski rope as it swings back and forth, I assume it would be wise to mount the rear cleats as far back as possible so there is the greatest vertical distance between them and the rope, 
This idea is good for when the skier/boarder is up on the water but, you also need to think about when he/she is in the water and the rope is draped over the gunnel/aft deck. 

Very good point. Thats why I was thinking of placing the aft cleats on the edges right above the rub rail so the rope is free to move over the edge of the gunnels and not touch anything. I don't want to put them on the sloped transom as I wouldn't be able to hang bumpers and would disrupt the clean look of the '91 transom. 

The main issue is that where my dock is at my camp there is no place to safely moor the boat (its close to a high traffic channel) and I will be using the boat on other lakes so lots of tying the boat up while I park my truck and trailer. I really do want to try and make something work that is easy to get lines/bumpers on and off of without having to use the bow lift point or bow u-bolt (I don't want to fall into the water or scratch the deck) or the rear u-bolts under the swim platform. 
skibum302 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibum302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 9:15pm
Beautiful boat. I was wondering where it ended up, I was the second owner. I can tell it was my old boat by the crack in the glove box and the mounts for the Bimini top. Hopefully you will have many years of enjoyment. I bought it from the original owners in 2008 and sold it to the " flipper" in CT.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic