NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Co poisoning

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Co poisoning
    Posted: September-20-2020 at 2:23pm
Ok, so for those of you on the SN FB page, you may have seen the article about the young boy that passed due to CO poising.

I can’t but help to think the concentration off the back of the boat would be high enough to cause poisoning without some other factor, such as a cracked or loos exhaust, causing CO propagation to the rear couch area.

I think another factor.

With that said, any thoughts to measuring CO emission in this area? Use of one of these as a preventative measure:

https://www.boatid.com/seachoice/62-series-flush-mount-carbon-monoxide-detector-mpn-50-46361.html?view=200457&gclid=CjwKCAjw-5v7BRAmEiwAJ3DpuHvX8KUGnPrIC4w2GyPFNk5NIbp1EC_7Vk1qKvgLJQThgSamIj6htRoCTVMQAvD_BwE

Thoughts?

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 2:55pm
I’m fairly certain you meant CO and not CO2 poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is a much bigger threat than carbon dioxide in a motor vehicle.  

A carbon monoxide monitor is a great safety precaution particularly for those who surf.  Slow speeds and proximity to exhaust is not a great combo.  

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 3:06pm
Oops, correct Johnny, and OP corrected.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 3:08pm
Thats why correct craft changed their platforms over the years. First ones had slots,then they went and put something like plexi glass under the platform,then to solid wood with no slots or gaps and now to solid fiberglass. All done to try and stop carbon monoxide from coming back into the boat. The platform must have something to do with it because inboards have been around a long time and didn't seem to happen before. Or is it because people are more aware now, didn't have Facebook to see it 20 years ago . You would have had to see it in a paper most likely in an area near where it happened. Most of us remember the metal bar at tooth level on schoolbuses or the nice metal dash boards on cars - nobody worried about it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 4:08pm
Several cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from people on swim platforms with boat idling through no wake zones, etc. Also why Nautique no longer offers hot water showers on the new boats. Carbon monoxide is the “silent killer”!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Several cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from people on swim platforms with boat idling through no wake zones, etc. Also why Nautique no longer offers hot water showers on the new boats.!

Interesting.  I wondered why I haven’t seen showers on the new/newer boats. I just installed a shower on my 196 SNOB. My old 1994 SNOB also had a shower. I am very careful about CO while using the shower.  Good safety tip about a CO monitor.  I plan on getting something for the transom and swim platform area. 

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 3:49am
This is a real threat, we have friends we have boated with for 40 years now, went to high school together, camp with every summer.   They almost lost their son to this 25 years ago.  They were loaded coming to the beach that day and had a couple bags of firewood in plastic trash bags they wanted to bring to the beach.  Their son was 10 at the time.  He sat in the back of the boat with instructions to hold on to the bags of wood while they motor to the beach.  My friend looked back at her son while they were idling, he looked like he had gone to sleep.  Thank God she looked and was sharp enough to know he should not be sleeping.  They could not wake him and called 911 for a helicopter rescue.  He was flown to the Hospital in Sacramento and he made it with no side effects after he recovered.  Went home the next day.   They almost lost their son that day.   After this my buddy attached a sheet of rubber under his deck to reduce fumes from coming up into the back of his boat.   He still has the same boat, we still camp the same place and that rubber sheet is still under his deck.  He worked at an Industrial Supply house and picked up the bulk rubber at work.  It was a good warning to our entire group for how fast this can happen.  His boat always runs very well, it was just a bad idea to hold those bags.  A rope tie would have avoided this but 25 years ago we had never thought this could happen.  Our 95 Nautique is modified to reduce fumes, the rear deck fits tight and has a lip there to help seal fumes out of the boat.  Not sure what year this protection started but glad it came along.  I agree the problem as really brought forward when Surfing behind boats came along.  The Surfer and observers all were near the back of the boats at slow speed breathing bad air.
Another lesson learned locally, a local young man was a very accomplished wake boarder, took a hard fall working on a trick and received a concussion, they thought no big deal.  He went out the next week and took another hard fall and died.  Second Impact syndrome.   The first hit did damage and he should have taken time to properly heal.  The second hit created a brain bleed so bad he could not be saved.   We did not know this boy but it was close to home so another hard lesson learned.  This one was about 10 years ago.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:15am
I had a Fresh air exhaust but took it off as I missed the exhaust note.  My kids asked me to put it back on, so I did.  They were getting fumes in the back seat.  Lots of idling while lining up & retrieving skier.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 11:30am
Any discussion that revolves around safety is a good one. I wasn’t aware the manufacture has been addressing this over the years.

With that said, given the low cost of detectors, one certainly could be beneficial. So then, were to put it. 

Something like this is inexpensive and small: 

Ideally, it’s placed on the transom. But it wouldn’t last a second on my slant back due to traffic, as would be common for most of us. My second thought is to fabricate a bracket and mount it flush to the combing pad just forward of the couch, just above the floor.

I’m wondering again on those stick-on placards we used in the small planes. Just needs to be visible to see if the dot gets activated. Would need to look into their functionality in a wet environment.

Thoughts?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 1:10pm
My buddy attached the rubber under his teak deck with wood screws 25 years ago.  It is still there today.  You don't even see it unless you look.  His boat is only used maybe 10 times per year and is always trailered unless we camp for several days.  So far no wood rot.  His boat is a 1990.

MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 7:44am
I like the idea of the CO monitor. Like you, I am not sure where to mount it. My boat has a solid fiberglass swim deck so it shouldn’t be a problem, but the peace of mind of a monitor is worth it. Mounted to the combing pad makes sense. We are pretty much done for the season so it will be Spring before I get to this. Let us know what you go with.
'92 Sport Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 12:46pm
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2020 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I had a Fresh air exhaust but took it off as I missed the exhaust note.  My kids asked me to put it back on, so I did.  They were getting fumes in the back seat.  Lots of idling while lining up & retrieving skier.

Not sure why you are idling that much, should be about a minute when retrieving skier, a minute at max when skier drops in and lining up to hit it.  Beyond that we shut the boat off when retrieving once skier is alongside, don't start it again until the next skier is in the water.  Not much chance for poisoning when skiing for us, just not idling for long.

Idling forward for a while can get fumes in the boat like everyone has mentioned, especially with a tailwind.  I've noticed it more when going maybe 8-12 mph (surf speeds!) with max wakes and bow high, seems like the wakes almost create a suction that brings fumes forward into the boat, again especially with tailwind.  This is very noticeable in my old '63, not nearly as much so in my '98 Sport.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic