Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Identification

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Skier1566 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier1566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Identification
    Posted: September-18-2020 at 10:39am
Hi Everyone, thanks for allowing me to join the group. I just made an impulsive purchase of a 1960 correct craft (so I was told). I have always wanted a classic to restore and I finally found one for the right price. It was impulsive because I did hardly any research because it looked way to cool and priced exactly where I was comfortable.
Anyway, I was hoping this group could help me identify the model. I have searched for similar boats but can’t find any like this. I have been trying to find someone that knows which model, but a lot of people are questioning if it is in fact a correct craft. I purchased form an antique boat museaum in Bay Head NJ and thought it would be as they advertised, but i cant find any other boat that looks like it. I am hoping the experts here can help me identify if and i am praying it is a Correct craft as that is what I wanted. If it isnt, I guess that is what happens when you purchase things on impulse...
Any and all help is very much appreciated! TYIA

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 1:07pm
Wayne,
Well, it could be or it couldn't be a CC. I know you'd like a firmer answer and maybe with more information that could happen. The basic shape of the hull could be a CC but, many hulls back then were shaped very similar. The boat looks likes it's been messed with from the looks of the deck and especially the engine hatch. I feel someone at one time repowered it with an engine that was too high for the original deck. Then there's the port helm. Very few CC's and infact very few other boat manufacturers used a port helm. Are there any indications the hull had the helm originally on the starboard? If so, the switch to port may have been due to the repower with a engine that used a LH prop. It's hard to make out but it does look like the prop is a LH. Is there an engine in it? If so, what is it?  Are there any hull tags? How did the museum determ it's a CC? Per the ACBS registry, there are two boats registerd with the "Stardust" name and nether of them are CC's. Both are Chris's. 

Welcome to CCfan. More pictures would be great. What are your intentions with the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Skier1566 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier1566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 1:38pm
Pete,
Thanks so much for your insight. I will look around more but upon my inspection yesterday I found nothing that could be used to identify the boat. I also thought it was interesting about the left hand helm, I am way more familiar with modern boats, but that did catch my attention. To me, and I am a novice on wooden boat, it does not appear that the engine compartment has been modified, however she is an old girl so it very well may have. I am picking up the title now but the original owner.  Very interesting observation about the prop, i didn't notice but I will check to see what rotation. Im not sure of the original motor, however it had a Chrysler 318, which I am pretty certain was not an original motor. I brought the boat to my friends house with a garage Ill be up Tuesday and take some more pictures. My intentions were to begin to restore it and have a beautiful antique mahogany boat, but I am not sure I want to invest time or money into a boat that I cant identify. I know this isnt necessarily an investment, but I also do want to go too far backwards if it will never be worth anything. I will post pictures soon and thanks so much for your insight. I look forward to you reply after I get some more pictures.  I also share the information on the title to see if that has and useful information. The people at the museum just told me it was a correct craft, I just assumed they knew... I guess I should be a bit less impulsive in the future...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 4:45pm
Wayne,
Many boat purchases have been impulsive and even more so with wood boats. Many have regreted it and yet I'd say many more do not and continue on with lots of fun on the water. Restoration can and typically does involve way more man hours than originally expected so be prepared. I feel when you start tearing into it, you will find hidden issues so don't be surprised. It will be a "labor of love" since you can not count your man hours into the value. Very few restorations come out ahead in value. The boat must be a rare sought after model. I just appraised my neighbors Chris Craft and she was disappointed because the 5200 bottom she had professionaly done was more that the present value. This is pretty common. 

FYI, your boat is not an antique. Per the ACBS, the antique class is pre WWII. After WWII it's a "Classic". 

Is this where you got the boat?

Interesting place but looking at their site it doesn't look like they have very many wood boats like yours. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2020 at 10:16am
the transom,looks cool. Great exhaust
I’ve learned to love my reverse rotation Chrysler 318,
We both got lucky on the mopar, lots of power for that little craft
These projects are about buying materials, learning , and spending time in your garage and not the couch
Feed your impulse and restore it
Do not keep a record of cost, but only of work done
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 7:48pm
Kind of looks like a late 40's to late 50's Higgins say 47-57, but none of them had a stern like that, this one is more barrel back shaped than the Higgins were on the top.  Most of Higgins boats of that era were left hand drive.  How long is it, 19'? 
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:30pm
Skier - You might want to contact Art Cozier on the site (maybe PM).  He used to work for CC & maybe could provide some insight.  
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Skier1566 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skier1566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2020 at 8:33pm
Hi, interesting, I was also thinking that but I could I find anything that was an exact match. Yes it is 19’. I’m going to get some more pictures posted tomorrow.
Thanks!
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 4:32am
I ran across a ‘Chris crafts ‘ one time that looked ok. Badging, Hercules motor, but upon further investigation found the pink registration said special construction
It was a kit made to look like Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic