Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Removed Thermostat Cause Stalling?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
UFOpodcaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UFOpodcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Removed Thermostat Cause Stalling?
    Posted: September-18-2020 at 6:43am
Hello,

I have a new to me 1982 Ski Nautique with a 351 Pleasure Craft engine. I was out for the second time with it yesterday and noticed at high speed the temperature shot up near to 240 degrees, so I dropped down to idle and it quickly cooled down. As I putted round the lake I noticed the thermostat went down below 100 degrees and it ran rough and stalled. I had to wait about 10-15 minutes before I could start it again. It is now occurring to me that maybe it is running too cold at idle and the electric choke kicks on? I am pretty sure the thermostat has been removed as it draws water right away in the driveway.  I removed the carb and was going to get it rebuilt... but maybe it is not a carburetor issue?

I guess I have two questions: 
1. Is the scenario above possible that the electronic choke would engage if the engine got cool enough and flood/stall it out?

2. It only makes sense the way ti acts at idle (cools way down) that the thermostat was removed. What could be some of the reasons it spikes hot at high speed?

Any insight would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Martin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:11am
When the key is in START or RUN, the heating element in the choke gets power all the time, so after roughly a minute it's fully open and stays open.(if it's adjusted and working right) and after the key is turned to OFF it slowly cools down and closes the choke.

Engine temperature when it's running won't have any effect on the choke

As a couple of places to start I'd be looking at the impeller in the RWP and looking to see if there's a thermostat in the engine instead of wondering if there's one in there Wink

With or without a thermostat, the cooling system will draw water in right away.and it'll be coming out the exhaust. 

Without a thermostat, it's always going thru the engine and exhaust manifolds. 

With a thermostat it's always going thru the exhaust system and can only exit the engine when the thermostat opens 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UFOpodcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:18am
All things I did not know, thank you! I will check to see if there is a thermostat and replace it if it is there.
Martin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:21am
Martin,
I'd like to agree that you need to check the RWP rubber impeller, check all cooling hoses and the sea strainer for air leaks as well as confirm there's a T stat on your engine. 

I'd also like to say that running on the hose in the driveway is NOT a good way to diagnose a cooling problem. The water pressure from the hose masks all cooling problems. Use the bucket or "Timmy T" method. 

I feel you have a cooling system problem and NOT a carb problem. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by UFOpodcaster UFOpodcaster wrote:

All things I did not know, thank you! I will check to see if there is a thermostat and replace it if it is there.

143 or 160 degree thermostat will work.

Don't ask which is better unless you want to watch people argue and tell you their personal preference Wink

The boat originally would have had a 143 from the factory though if it'a a normal raw water cooled engine.

You can probably find the setting marked on the thermostat. If it's pretty brownish you might have to clean it up to have a chance of seeing the numbers.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 7:28am
You probably have a cooling system problem and a carburetor problem based on the link below Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UFOpodcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 8:12am
Thank you, I removed the intake hose and used a bin with a hose to see how it was drawing water.

Thanks again.

Martin
Martin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:10am
Originally posted by UFOpodcaster UFOpodcaster wrote:

Thank you, I removed the intake hose and used a bin with a hose to see how it was drawing water.

Thanks again.

Martin

Martin,
Where did you disconnect the hose? At the through hull or at the RWP? I ask since if at the RWP, you bypassed the sea strainer which can be a issue with cooling. Were you able to get the time it took for the water to be pumped from the bucket? That is a good indicator of the RWP performance. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UFOpodcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:56am
I undid the clamps at the hull bronze fitting. Thank you!
Martin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic