Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So many Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DeAnna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeAnna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So many Questions
    Posted: September-15-2020 at 10:40am
Hi, So my father passed away 2 months ago and left a 1973 20 ft South wind, that needs major restoration. This was his and my sons project that they started 3 years ago. The V8 engine is out of the boat and in the garage and supposedly my dad rebuilt it. Not sure what he did to it, but I know it has been on a engine stand for a few years now. I cannot find any specs on the boat. No pictures (of the boat I have). No info on the engine. I have reached out to Correct Craft and Natique. Both places state they have no info on this boat given the year/make/model that I have and they told me to come pester you guys here. Tongue.  They did send me 4 old 1970 brochure type things that did nothing. 
I have thus far, removed the seats, carpet, upholstery all around the boat. (including 40 hornet nests). The floor needs to be replaced, so before I cut into the floor, what should I be aware of? Where can I find reasonable marine ply wood? I have found some for 68.00 for a 4 X 8 sheet, but I am a single mom and I need like 13 of them for the floor and seats etc. That is a lot.  Or for plywood is there an alternative?
Is there any info on the engine that someone can share? 
I am 38 with mediocre mechanic skills, all the tools (many of which I have no idea what they are for) I should need, and great work ethic and willing to get my hands dirty. I need guidance on what steps I need to take. What to watch out for, and where the reasonable deals are. I am not worried about the upholstery as I make quilts of valor for vets so I am sure that I have that covered. Wink 
And for fiber glassing, what is a good product to use? 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2020 at 8:05pm
DeAnna

Your post seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle so this will at least bring it back to the top of the new posts Wink

One of the first things you should do is learn to post pictures. It's a lot easier to get help like for example what you have for an engine, if there's a picture of it.

Pinned at the top of the general discussion forum is a thread on posting pictures. 

You could click on the link below for a thread about somebody getting started tearing apart a Southwind and and also search for threads on Barefoot Nautique stringers and Southwind stringers about stringers.

You may or may not be planning on stringers needing replacement, but it will be an education for ya' reading the stuff.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 5:48am
DeAnna,
Yes, as Ken mentioned, we need some pictures. They may give us an idea of the condition of your Southwind and will help with suggestions. You mentioned the sole (floor) needs to be replaced and that is a concern as to the extent of repair/restoration. What indicators are telling you it's bad? Pictures please. Do go to the link Ken posted. It will give you an idea of what's below the sole. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 8:10am
I can appreciate the desire to do this project. Sorry to learn of the loss of your father
yes there are a lot of variables, about how deep to go into the boat to get to the good bones to build on,  and not compromise the work you and your son do by not going deep enough or tempting shortcuts.
Do this correct and you will create something he can pass down to his children if its not neglected because it can be rebuilt better now than it was built originally
you found a good place for that guidance and examples
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 10:03pm
The last counterpoint I made was wrong, so just another opinion here.

If the boat is an emotional connection to your dad, then it's worth fixing up.  However, you might end up spending more fixing it than it will be worth.

If you look solely at economics, buying a water-ready boat might be an option.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
66_Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66_Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 2:33pm
For fiberglass information go to West Systems, they have a ton of good info & free pdf downloads:

And there is a lot more on youtube, hours of good examples from Boatworks Today

There are folks on here that could tell you what engine you have by the sound or smell of it.  Since it is not running, both of those are difficult to put up here so a picture or two will have to do.

Sounds like a great project, keep us up to date.

Jack

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic