NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

40 to 80 series transmission coversion

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Slalom fan 4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 40 to 80 series transmission coversion
    Posted: September-14-2020 at 5:47pm
My 93 sport needs transmission replaced. I've read on hear on talked to several mechanics and it its better to replace with 80 series rather than any rebuild scenario. Also heard might be muffler clearance issues with 80 series. Any thoughts? Also hw do I post pics here?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 7:29pm
You might be better off talking to SkiDim since they sell the kits.

They should be able to tell you any differences in dimensions

For pictures look at the sticky at the top of the general discussion section on posting pictures Wink

The title is "adding images to your posts"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 8:03pm
Yep I saw the kits on their site thanks!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 8:38pm
About this left handed engine I keep seeing in posts, my prop is RH so does that mean my engine is also?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2020 at 1:17am
Nope, it is possible your Vdrive or the transmission reverses engine rotation.
Example:  My 95 Nautique has a standard rotation engine, the tranny reverses the rotation so I run a reverse rotation prop.   You have to know your parts to know exactly what is happening in your boat.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2020 at 8:52am
You should be hoping that you have a LH normal automotive rotation engine that was hooked to a 1.23 PCM 40A. That was the setup in most every 93 Sport. Not all though

The 40A reverses propshaft rotation in the reduction section and turns a RH prop.

The 80 series PCM transmissions only work with a LH normal automotive rotation engine 

An 80A will turn a RH prop when hooked to a LH engine.

The LH  means if you're looking at the engine from the rear, it rotates to the left or counter clockwise.

You figured out that picture posting yet? Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 5:04pm
It's LH thanks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Slalom fan 4 Slalom fan 4 wrote:

It's LH thanks.

At least now you know that an 80A will work behind your engine.

As far as muffler interference, it looks like no answers here but I'd figure it would fit or they wouldn't be selling it as a replacement kit.

Make that call to SkiDIM  Wink
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2020 at 11:57am
A rebuild is gonna be much more cost effective then going with a new 80 series, we charge $1,400 for a standard pcm 40 rebuild and it comes with a 1 year unlimited hour warranty
You break it I’ll fix it
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 5:47pm
I swapped out a 40 with an 80 in my previously '96 SN.  No problems whatsoever.  Also, the kit includes a new damper plate and a 12" cooler!  But $1400 for a rebuild is nice.  I decided to just spend the extra grand for the new model, but don't know what I'd do with my current '97 with a 40 if it goes.   It's a good chance my old one died due to heat.  Never overheated, but a press-fit gear in a bell housing came loose, and when I added up all of the parts (not including my labor), it would have been about $1,400, so it made sense for me to get the 80.  Over the 1600 hrs on my '96, the tranny went out twice but never overheated.  I figure the colder the better.

First thing I did when I got my current boat (1997 SN) was to replace the 6" stock cooler with the 12".  Just changed the tranny fluid over the weekend, and I was actually a bit surprised how warm the fluid was even with the 12", so glad I don't have the 6" anymore.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2020 at 6:26pm
It never hurts to add length for cooling, what did you do with your old 40series? I wouldn’t mind having it around for extra parts. Let me know
You break it I’ll fix it
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2020 at 3:23pm
I have a fresh rebuilt 40 series for sale. $1000
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slalom fan 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2020 at 10:10pm
Still have it. It was working fine just a small leak from front seal but local shop said pump was leaking and I should just replace the whole thing? Is your $1400 for rebuilt or to rebuild mine? Does it come with damper plate?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2020 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

It never hurts to add length for cooling, what did you do with your old 40series? I wouldn’t mind having it around for extra parts. Let me know

Sorry, just saw this.  I recycled everything.  
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic