NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

‘91 SN carb issue?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘91 SN carb issue?
    Posted: September-13-2020 at 7:19pm
Hey gang, by coincidence, I overheard one of the baseball dads has a 91SN. He’s talking to a buddy that it’s not running correctly. He is not a SN guy. When I learned the private lake he lives at has a course and is 10 mins away, I took an interest in the conversation. Total selfish move, I know;-)

Anyway, boat sat for a few years. He bought it not running. Had the carb rebuilt locally. Boat starts cold. Doesn’t like to start hot. Has to pull the neutral button and work the throttle to get it going.

Could be a number of things. I haven’t had to tweak a carb in a long time! But no way to diagnose based on the intel at this point. I’m glad to go take a look.

Suspects would be a filter, gas, maybe a vac line? Jets, carb float?

Best places to start looking?

Thanks gang.

MS

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Doesn’t like to start hot. Has to pull the neutral button and work the throttle to get it going.

MS

Does he need to pump the throttle or open it to a near WOT position? This will narrow the problem down to too much gas or not enough. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2020 at 8:04pm
No, I didn’t get the sense the throttle was massaged all the way to WOT. Just some back and fourth. I hope to take a peek at the boat later this week.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2020 at 10:45pm
After shutdown, look down throat of carb to see if if it is dripping gas.  
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2020 at 11:38pm
Sure sounds like fuel dripping into the bore....

Should be very “fixable”

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 6:55am
Maybe he's making it worse and just needs to crack the throttle some. I wouldn't call it normal, but is typical.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic